Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Subaru Outback as a TOAD

I don't see Outback's mentioned as TOAD. Am I missing something? They have no restrictions if you get the larger engine (5 speed automatic) or the manual transmission with the smaller engine.

My wife vetoed the Jeep stating they were to utilitarian and too high. The Outback seems like a good choice.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have an '09 Outback with auto. Remco states towable on a trailer only. Manual trans towable as is.
Remco or Motorhome magazine dingy towing guide are both excellent sources of info.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #3

The outback is towable on all four's if it has a manual transmission or the larger engine and the automatic transmission. That's according to motorhomemagazine.com.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #4

There seems to be a disconnect between motohomemagazine.com and Subaru. This is what I discovered on Subaru's web site:
3. Can I tow a Subaru behind my motorhome?

AWD Subaru vehicles with manual transmissions can be towed with all four wheels on the ground and the transmission in neutral. STI vehicles with 6 Speed Manual Transmissions can also be towed with all four wheels on the ground and the transmission in neutral. In addition, STI vehicles with 6 Speed Manual Transmissions require that the Driver's Control Center Differential (DCCD) is set in manual mode and the DCCD control dial set to the furthest rearward position.

Please refer to your owner's manual for additional important information on towing vehicles with all four wheels on the ground.
AWD Subaru vehicles with automatic transmission can only be towed with all four wheels OFF of the ground. Therefore, if you are interested in towing a Subaru behind your motorhome, we would suggest purchasing a manual transmission Subaru.

I need to look at the owner's manual.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have to agree with ImagineIF, auto not towable 4 down. I received conflicting info from a Subaru salesman so I contacted Subaru for a clarification. Subaru was very clear on the fact that their vehicles with auto trans are not towable 4 down.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I had towed a forester for quite a few years. Manuel trans loved the car,left knee went south .If Subaru auto trans were towable 4 down I would buy one in half a heart beat.

Joe Ka6bud
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

I would pay attention to Subaru over MotorHomeMagazine. I would add that if your Outback has a navigation system you will have to pull the fuse that serves it and the radio. The manual trans Subies make great toads, I love mine
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
6 speed manual-yup, 5 speed auto or CVT auto-nope
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
The outback is towable on all four's if it has a manual transmission or the larger engine and the automatic transmission. That's according to motorhomemagazine.com.
I'm confused. I'm looking at their guide and it says "no" for each Subaru with an automatic transmission and yes for the manual transmission. I'm not finding anywhere that Motorhome magazine shows the auto version as towable.

You might consider a Grand Cherokee. It's easy to tow and not high or utilitarian.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #10

I not only looked at the owners manual (the Spec B has a different center differential from other models) before I bought my Subaru, I also sat down
with the salesman and called Subaru tech support to verify the car I was buying was towable four down.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My owners manual does not differentiate between engine size when addressing the 4 down question. It simply states AWD w/ Auto: cannot be towed with all four wheels on the ground. AWD w/ Manual can be towed with all four wheels on the ground and trans in neutral.
If AWD is required I'd suggest a Honda CRV.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
?? I just looked at the 2010 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide online and can't find anything that says an Automatic Suburu is towable. The Column labeled "Towable w/Automatic Transmission" has a "NO" for every Suburu model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #13

I misread the Motorhome Magazine Guide. I assumed that because only one automatic was listed as not towable that the other was. You know what assuming does :-(

I'm not too thrilled with the 65mph limit many towables have. I don't often drive faster than that, but do sometimes. What happens the to the vehicle that's speed limited to 65mph at 70mph? I don't think I want to find out.

I'd really like to tow my Jetta Sportswagon, but that requires a dolly. I really like the Demco dolly that has steerable wheels, but most say not to go down the dolly route. My wife isn't thrilled with the Jeep products. Frankly, I'm not really either. I may just put a driveshaft decoupler on my 2WD Tahoe and be done with it.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #14

I'd suggest you look at the Jeep Liberty. It hardly qualifies as "High", but is a relatively normal crossover, albeit not a Wrangler (my choice).
All 4WD Jeeps with txfr case (all of 4WD to my knowledge) can be towed 4 down.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote