Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Spending Christmas & New Year in Congress Arizona. Next Quartsite and/or Yuma
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
steveandbob I believe your Dealer Lied to you, I'm sure they have a financial reason.
I went to Jeep.com and clicked on Owners tab top right of page, on drop down menu click on owners manual, click on year 2015, click on, Model Patriot, click download.
Now go to page 82, A Manual transmission can be towed Four down. An Automatic Transmission Can Not be towed four down.

Seems You have had a similar experience as I with Suburu. The dealer did not carry in stock a manual (they are not produced in the numbers as a automatic), But Subaru does make them.

Subaru Dealer said "We Contacted The Factory And No Subaru Models Can Be Towed FOUR DOWN".

My advice is this, "Any vehicle you wish to purchase, If on the lot, open the owners manual and read Recreational Towing. If unavailable, or just easier download from internet. (I have found the majority of Manufactures require manual transmissions).

IF WE RV'ers RELY ON THE DEALERS, WE WILL CONTINUE TO GET INCORRECT INFORMATION. I am glad I was corrected by people in the know,
Thank You IRV2!

What I did was, contact the Dealership Owner (General Manager) and question him about the information received. He apologized when he realized I was willing to purchase a FLAT TOWED vehicle anywhere from Maryland to California. My terms were clear; Buy New, Tow Four Down, Must Have A/C, No Voiding Warranty!!!
I now have a Dealership which will work with me,
My other bit of advice is look hard at "What Equipment You Will Use For Towing/Braking".
Good Luck, I have owned Jeeps for almost 40 years,
I have loved every single one. my problem is, "I Just Want A Damn Subaru"!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Long ago when I was looking, I stumbled across a forum called www.SubaruForester.org. As I recall there were forums for other models too. In the Forester forum they had a supposedly verbatim copy of a statement or memo from Subaru that stated that all manual transmissions were towable 4 down. I don't know that this still applies as it was in 2011. My advice is to call or e-mail Subaru DIRECTLY to get a definitive answer and protect your warranty/investment. We still tow our 01 and love it!
Good luck, good health and safe travels!

BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #17

Just before we purchased our RV we purchased a new Subaru Impreza with a manual transmission. We needed a second car (to replace the old one) and the dealer said this model was towable. BTW this dealer sells Chevy, Subaru and Winnebago. The car has all the accessories we need - AC, heated seats, sunroof, fold down rear seats - and gets good gas mileage. We have room for 4 adults, or just the 2 of us + the dog, plenty of pep and the AWD can take is almost anywhere. The car has performed flawlessly and shows 31K on the odometer with an additional 20K+ in tow miles. If you look at the list of tow cars referenced in an earlier post there are no instructions of conditions listed for towing the Subaru and would recommend it for carefree towing.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbob View Post
A local dealer just told me today that Jeep doesn't recommend flat towing a manual transmission Jeep Patriot, just as we were all set to go with it. They said Jeep doesn't want the liability if it was to slip into gear while under tow. By not recommending, they said the warranty would be void if flat towed.

Comments?
I have seen Jeep Patriots towed. Haven't talked with the owners. Our Jeep is an automatic 4WD. It's a Liberty. They don't make the Liberty anymore, but I'm sure they use the same drive train in other models. The manual describes how to put the transmission and transfer case into neutral using a small button in front of the gear shifter. Once in neutral, everything is disengaged. You put it in Park and tow it away.

I have found that car-lot salesmen often don't know much about the intricacies of 4 wheel down towing. Be careful who you listen to...they may steer you wrong. Do your own research.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I have seen Jeep Patriots towed. Haven't talked with the owners. Our Jeep is an automatic 4WD. It's a Liberty. They don't make the Liberty anymore, but I'm sure they use the same drive train in other models. The manual describes how to put the transmission and transfer case into neutral using a small button in front of the gear shifter. Once in neutral, everything is disengaged. You put it in Park and tow it away.

I have found that car-lot salesmen often don't know much about the intricacies of 4 wheel down towing. Be careful who you listen to...they may steer you wrong. Do your own research.
We bought a manual transmission Patriot, and yes the owners manual states it can be towed on all 4 wheels. Haven't towed it yet as we still have two weeks before we pick up our RV. But it's fun to drive and at $16k (over 25% off), it seemed like a great deal!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbob View Post
We bought a manual transmission Patriot, and yes the owners manual states it can be towed on all 4 wheels. Haven't towed it yet as we still have two weeks before we pick up our RV. But it's fun to drive and at $16k (over 25% off), it seemed like a great deal!
It's time to get that Patriot ready for towing! You need a tow bar, a tow plate on the front of the Patriot and some wiring, and an auxiliary braking device. All these things take some serious shopping time, some money, and some installation. One of the things that I did that I think was smart (!) was to keep the tow-mode tail light and brake light system separate from the regular brake-light system. There are articles on it on the forum, but the basic idea is to put extra tail lights in the tail-light housing if you have a spot for it like my Liberty does. It keeps the wiring simpler and trouble shooting easier. A lot of this work can be done before you get the RV. It does take time, so don't underestimate the effort required.

Tags
toad, toads