Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Subaru Toads.

Good Morning & Happy New Year ...

Will be purchasing a Toad in the next couple of months, and I'm interested in the Subaru's, new or used. plasma800 How have You enjoyed yours and would You purchase the same again? Any advise is welcome.
I have spent days reading TOAD posts, and am trying to decide between 4 down or Dolly... I feel there are Pros & Cons to both. I personally am partial to 4 down, BUT THE JURY IS STILL DELIBERATING. Thanks Again.
And I Still Have A Bunch Of Posts To Read Through...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you want to tow it four down, you are going to have to find a manual transmission model. Given that they are all wheel drive, I think you won't be able to use a tow dolly either. So it's four down, manual transmission, or a trailer.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

Here is a good reference guide.
Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

As I understand it, it is the transmissions that allow or prevent you from using various towing options.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks LuvLabs & RogerS
I have determined I will tow 4 Down or Dolly (my 2 month maiden voyage made my mind up on that). I watched many Class A RV'ers getting unhooked and ready to roll. To me just seems easier with 4 down. But to be fair the dolly folks have their unhook and hook up down to a ZIPITY-DOO-DAH. Due to my ignorance I missed out on a ton of valuable information as I thought all tow dollys were the same .
A trailer in my future is not an option, great for classic cars, but too restrictive for remaining Mobil. I have used them over the last forty years, just not for me.

Thanks for the link to the 2014 Dingy Guide. I only had the 2013, so its now downloaded to my hard drive.

Yes I am going to keep to manual transmission, or front wheel drive. The Dingy Guide list vehicles which can be towed with automatics, but I'm guessing it will need the addition of an expensive trans pump. (I worry about a vehicle which needs to be ran periodically to lube transmission). Read a lot of posts questioning this and the frequency, seems a lot is left to opinion.

Also I would let You know I am not going to buy a vehicle and make it towable.
I will only buy a vehicle that towing will not void the warranty.
I have not settled on a brand or model. I will not buy anything smaller than a Cooper or as big/heavy as a 1/2 ton pickup. So anything in between is doable, AND MUST HAVE AIRCONDITIONING! Not for me, but the 3 Four Legged Kids, and DW..
Thank You So Much For The Advice.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

According to Store : Remco Subaru's have to either be manual transmission (which can be towed 4-down) or they have to be trailered. The problem is that the manual transmission appears to only be available in the lower end models which is a common situation. Apparently, the assumption is made that if you want a stick shift you must want a stripped down model.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks DocJ, I agree with You, I didn't realize just how rare stick shifts are. And When I Say A Stick, I Mean A Clutch!!!
I have lost count as to how many Kids I have talked to who state,"I can drive a stick shift!". Of course they mean an automatic with a shift/auto combo...
I don't care if I have to travel to Tin Buck Two for purchase of what I want... as they say, "Home Is Now Where I Park It"
I also don't care about Bells & Whistles, BUT MUST HAVE A/C!

I just watched the ACME video, didn't realize the tow dolly is wider than the MH!?!?
Iíve only drove my MH in a few states and that would of caused a problem 3 different times for sure.
I must admit, I have read so may posts, IRV2 is a wealth of information, Thar's Just So Much I Didn't Know, Or Think Of. And Thanks For The Link To Remco, it's been added to my favorites.
My MH came with a 7,500 lbs rated Blue Ox Tow Bar, Magnetic Lights, Coiled Pigtail for lights, and Brake Buddy. MH hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs.
Oh, My Two Months On The Road Without A Toad Was A "PITA"!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a used 01 Forester off Craigs list that had 126,000 miles on it. Negotiated a price knowing it had a slightly slipping clutch. Got that fixed and then I installed the towing lights for the AF1 brake system. The car rides very well and handles the same and has a very good factory installed a/c. Very happy with the car and would do it again just the same.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

This could be why you see so many Jeeps being towed by motor homes. They don't get the mileage of a Subaru, but some models are eminently towable 4 down. We bought ours used after going through the same search you are currently doing.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #9

Happy New Year.
Currently towing a 2015 Subaru Forester. Have a Blue Ox Base Plate and Tow Bar System. Works great. The car is AWD with a 6 speed manual transmission. It has all the gadgets that I need including backup camera, A/C, heated seats, large sun roof, electric rear door and lots of rear compartment carrying capacity. Also good ground clearance and great in the snow.
My previous Toad was a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Once again a great Toad. Easy to set up for towing. Simply put transfer case in neutral and away you go. Great in snow and off road.
The Jeep weighed about 4100 lbs and the Subaru about 3300 lbs. The Subaru gets much better gas mileage.
Why did I change to Subaru? Simple, this old body was finding it difficult to get in and out of the Jeep and the somewhat bouncy ride was bothering a medical condition that I have.
Bottom line from my experience was that both vehicles make good Toads.

Gary
Gary D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #10

The Subaru Crosstrek VX is what I would select.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #11

I had a Subaru Baja Turbo and loved it BUT no tow automatic on the ground. Now have a 2 door Jeep Wrangler... Luv it but not as nice a ride.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone ever tow a Mini Cooper with all four down? If so, what type of set up? Don't think have enough clearance for a dolly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9quarz View Post
Anyone ever tow a Mini Cooper with all four down? If so, what type of set up? Don't think have enough clearance for a dolly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
We towed an 05 Mini Cooper S 6-speed with a Blue OX bracket. Roadmaster makes a bracket as well but it requires you cut the bumper instead of just the grill.

The only issue was had with the car is that the bracket height is fairly low (~10" from ground IIRC), which required a large 10" drop bar to bring the tow bar low enough. The drop bar tended to drag on steep inclines/declines, such a driveways.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #14

2015 Jeep Information or Misinformation?

A local dealer just told me today that Jeep doesn't recommend flat towing a manual transmission Jeep Patriot, just as we were all set to go with it. They said Jeep doesn't want the liability if it was to slip into gear while under tow. By not recommending, they said the warranty would be void if flat towed.

Comments?

Tags
toad, toads