Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #1

We recently purchased our first Class A, a Coachmen Catalina 35' MH and LOVE IT!

We have decided to purchase a smaller vehicle as a toad for site-seeing on our trips. We'd like to purchase an older, used vehicle that can be put on a dolly.

Need room for 4. Would love to hear from everyone regarding their favorite, older, toad either being presently towed or a past "favorite".

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #2

We recently purchased our first Class A, a Coachmen Catalina 35' MH and LOVE IT!

We have decided to purchase a smaller vehicle as a toad for site-seeing on our trips. We'd like to purchase an older, used vehicle that can be put on a dolly.

Need room for 4. Would love to hear from everyone regarding their favorite, older, toad either being presently towed or a past "favorite".

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some advice...we started with a dolly and moved quickly to 4 - down towing. It is so much more easy.

Most any vehicle with manual transmission is easily towable 4 down. We used to tow a Ford Focus. It was light, economical, and like a dummy I got rid of it for another car. We now tow a Ford Explorer and I wish I had kept the Focus.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 1994 Saturn SL1. Four people will fit but it is a little "cozy".

You might want to check the specs on your Coachman. You may have 5,000lbs of tow capacity or, like us, you may be stuck with 3,500lbs. Fortunately, our Saturn has a curb weight of 2,300lbs. We were thinking about moving up to a Grand Cherokee but it exceeds our limits.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:45 AM   #5

Try a Malibu or Malibu Maxx.
Love our 2005 Maxx. Bought used for $11K.
Tow 4 down with no trouble. We don't even pull a fuse, but you may want to. Station Wagon type room, but it's a hatch back on a Saab type frame.Good and fast too with a 6cyl.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Purchased the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire for our toad, it is not necessary to pull any fuses. It does not register miles. Confirmed this with the Car Dealer's salesman who also checked with service department before we purchased the car. Only have to turn the key to the off position, must leave the key in the ignition when towing and the automatic transaxle in neutral. Purchased the tow package from Cummings-Bridgway, Roadmaster hidden base plate brackets and the Sterling Tow Bar along with the BrakeBudy.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
There are a couple to look at on our own IRV2 classified.

http://www.irv2.com/class/showcat.php?cat=55
DonavonP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
As chasFM11 stated, be sure to check your motorhomes capacity. I have a 35 ft Southwind, and am limited to 3,500 lbs also. We have a 92 Saturn SL2. Great little car, and 2300 lbs curb weight. In searching for older Saturns, at least in my area, I found that they are hard to find. People tend to hold onto them as they are dependable and economical little cars.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Chevrolet Tracker 4-door 4WD automatic or Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD automatic makes a dandy toad. Only 3100 lbs, so just about any rig can tow it easily. Drives and tows without a fuss and no mods required with the 4WD drive models - just put the transfer case in Neutral and go.

We've had two of them now and several friends tow them as well. Four people can ride comfortably as long as the rear seat passengers don't have long legs. When we have two couples in the car, usually the girls ride in the back and it works out fine.

These cars are relatively inexpensive to start with, so used ones should be pretty reasonable.

The stick shift models are towable as well.

I recommend the V6 model over the 4 cylinder if you regularly plan to carry 4 people - the extra power makes a difference in a small car.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,Had a 99 Tracker that could hold 4 in comfort also a Suzuki Grand vitara or a vitara will hold 4 and all wheels down with 2-wheel drive 5-speed stick or 4X4 automatics.99 and newer are better as they are wider.
Have a good one,Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote