Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Suggestions on flat towing equipment

Hi! I am wondering if there is a preferred towing package for 2 widows over 70. The more I read, well you know the rest.......
I have a 2015 Thor ACE 31 foot class A. I now would like to take my 2014 GMC Terrain SLT and make it a toad/dinghy.
Is it possible to do this with just one person? What should I expect to pay? Can some parts be used?

Any insight you be of great help.

Jan
Longj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Rough price for all installed, about $3500. You can save a bit if you find a used tow bar and/or braking system. Check eBay, Craig's List, or HitchTrader.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:17 AM   #3

Here is one way to go
All in one tow bar
Robot Check
Base plate (with or without Adaptive Cruise Control systems)
https://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2014_GMC_Terrain.htm
Wiring
2014 GMC Terrain Tow Bar Wiring - TrailerMate
Charging your toad battery
RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement
You can check there you tubes on each install
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Here is one way to go
All in one tow bar
Robot Check
Base plate (with or without Adaptive Cruise Control systems)
https://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2014_GMC_Terrain.htm
Wiring
2014 GMC Terrain Tow Bar Wiring - TrailerMate
Charging your toad battery
RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement
You can check there you tubes on each install
2 stroker

A very good way to go. The most bang for the buck, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #5

I would suggest the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar from e trailer:

RoadMaster Sterling All Terrain Tow Bar with Electric Cord - 8,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-576

It's less expensive than the Ready Brute, has the ability to be attached and removed from the towed vehicle in almost any terrain, and comes with safety cables and a wiring harness for the towed vehicle lights.

Lights and safety cables/chains are mandatory in every state and it will cost another $100.00 to $200.00 to add these to a towing setup.

I can attest to the Roadmaster towbars being substantial in their construction and easy to operate. Our first Roadmaster Sterling (forerunner to the Sterling All Terrain) went well over 100,000 miles before it was destroyed in an accident. The Jeep we were towing was hit from behind by a kid texting and driving. The collision did over $10,000.00 damage to the Jeep and bent the towbar and brackets like a pretzel. Even in a mangled condition I was able to disconnect the Jeep. The towbar and brackets were junk, but they held tight.

Be sure to check prices for a number of brands before making any decision. When Ready Brute came on the market their products were substantially less expensive than other brands already available. Many people believe that they are still the low price leader. However in the recent years their prices have increased substantially. They are now comparably priced to all the other major towing equipment manufacturers.

Look for the features you need and want. Then make a price comparison. I think you'll find when all is said and done there isn't much difference in price.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

How about a couple of 30 year old men?😊😊;-)
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think we have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
How about a couple of 30 year old men?😊😊;-)
Hard to argue his logic!
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I would suggest the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar from e trailer:

RoadMaster Sterling All Terrain Tow Bar with Electric Cord - 8,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-576

It's less expensive than the Ready Brute, has the ability to be attached and removed from the towed vehicle in almost any terrain, and comes with safety cables and a wiring harness for the towed vehicle lights.

Lights and safety cables/chains are mandatory in every state and it will cost another $100.00 to $200.00 to add these to a towing setup.

I can attest to the Roadmaster towbars being substantial in their construction and easy to operate. Our first Roadmaster Sterling (forerunner to the Sterling All Terrain) went well over 100,000 miles before it was destroyed in an accident. The Jeep we were towing was hit from behind by a kid texting and driving. The collision did over $10,000.00 damage to the Jeep and bent the towbar and brackets like a pretzel. Even in a mangled condition I was able to disconnect the Jeep. The towbar and brackets were junk, but they held tight.

Be sure to check prices for a number of brands before making any decision. When Ready Brute came on the market their products were substantially less expensive than other brands already available. Many people believe that they are still the low price leader. However in the recent years their prices have increased substantially. They are now comparably priced to all the other major towing equipment manufacturers.

Look for the features you need and want. Then make a price comparison. I think you'll find when all is said and done there isn't much difference in price.

That doesn't seem to include the braking system, so it wouldn't be less cost than the ReadyBrute Elite with built-in ReadyBrake!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:55 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, last time I recently checked, for a complete system including a braking system for the toad, the ReadyBrute Elite was the least expensive way to tow a vehicle by far!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:12 AM   #10

Now you are thinking! I wouldn't have to worry about this stuff. I am a learn as you go course.
Longj12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing