Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Suggestions on towing Jeep Liberty 4 down

I recently purchased a 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4. I am looking for help and suggestions on what equipment I should have installed to be able to tow the car with 4 wheels down.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
2008 Itasca Sunova 34ft.
2008 Jeep Liberty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I use the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Do you have an Automatic or Manual? What does the owners manual state? Mine is a Wrangler with a manual transmission. Set up and towing all 4 down is easy and no problem.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

I tow an '06 Liberty four down using a roadmaster sterling tow bar and base plates. I had a body shop install the base plates since some of the trim on the front has to be removed to attach them. Turned out the body shop was cheaper than an rv place because labor was less. My coach has air brakes and I use an SMI Air Force One as the braking system on the Liberty. Since I travel in the area frequently, I ended up going to Evansville, IN, and had SMI install the brake system on the Liberty and the set up the coach for me.

Read your owners manual on towing as Jeep has changed some of the set up. On my '06, I put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in park and the key in the Off position, and of course, the emergency brake off.

I've had no problems towing the jeep and even with my older 36' coach I really didn't know it was there. Make a check list for hooking up, including all the connection and add how the jeep is to be set up. And, don't talk to anybody while you are hooking up. Don't ask, just make sure you can concentrate on what you are doing.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We tow our 06 Jeep Liberty 4-down with a Roadmaster Falcon II tow-bar set up & a Brake Buddy Classic braking system. Works great for us.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We tow our 06 Jeep Liberty 4-down with a Roadmaster Falcon II tow-bar set up & a Brake Buddy Classic braking system. Works great for us.

Lori-
We tow our 07' Liberty 4x4/auto with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar system w/Roadmaster base plates.

SMI brake assist system

Put transfer case in neutral, trans in park aaaannnnddd
ignition key in first off position from run position BECAUSE the steering wheel DOES and will lock if you don't

Don't want that
Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallopn'go4r View Post
We tow our 07' Liberty 4x4/auto with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar system w/Roadmaster base plates.

SMI brake assist system

Put transfer case in neutral, trans in park aaaannnnddd
ignition key in first off position from run position BECAUSE the steering wheel DOES and will lock if you don't

Don't want that
Not on '08 Liberty -- no steering wheel lock starting in 08.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
wheel lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Not on '08 Liberty -- no steering wheel lock starting in 08.
sorry for the misinformation
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Have towed my 08 Liberty with automatic and 4x4 well over 10,000 miles. Crabby Mike is correct, there is no steering wheel lock, so once the transfer case is in neutral and transmission is in Park, you can tow without key in ignition switch.

I'd check on the Liberty Sport with manual transmission. I heard that there is a steering wheel luck, but don't know for sure.

Have a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Talking

I use the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate on my 2006 Liberty Renegade. Just ordered a M & G brake system for the Jeep.
GVK
__________________________________________________ _____
2007 HR Scepter 42'
2006 Liberty Renegade Toad
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Have towed our 06 Liberty for four years and are very pleased with it.
Use a Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate system. Run the lights on a dedicated line to rear.
Only glitch is that the Brake Buddy I use is a little difficult to hook up because of floor space in front of drivers seat. Have to use some blocks to raise BB up.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #11

This is a bit off-topic, but I currently tow a 2002 Acura MDX and am considering a change to a lighter vehicle. How did you guys arrive at the Liberty as your toad of choice? Why not a Wrangler or something else?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnParker View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but I currently tow a 2002 Acura MDX and am considering a change to a lighter vehicle. How did you guys arrive at the Liberty as your toad of choice? Why not a Wrangler or something else?
In our case, we wanted a smaller vehicle than a Wrangler or equivalent.
We wanted a four wheel drive because even though we don't really "off-road", we like to drive the back roads in national parks and other places, and go down on the Florida beaches sometimes without worry about getting in trouble.
The final decider was the DW. She saw ours at a local dealer, and liked it, so she bought it for me as a Christmas present.
By the way, I haven't checked the weights, but I'm not sure it is much lighter than your Acura.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnParker View Post
I wanted an SUV to tow and the Liberty fit the bill perfect