Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #15

I, for one, appreciate your post, Yaj. One thing about internet forums is that threads seem to drift all over the place until, at times, get so off topic that they result in arguments that sometimes have nothing whatsoever with the subject matter of the opening post.

Let's remember that the OP is asking about a lightweight pickup to tow behind a Class C motorhome. He obviously won't be interested at all, I'd assume, in towing a trailer that could house a pickup truck behind a Class C.

With that said, the new Ranger isn't yet available and even when it is, we've heard that it won't be extremely lightweight. A good used one might be a vehicle to consider, however.

Pertaining to 4-down vs. using a tow dolly, just about all our friends and acquaintances who have previously used a tow dolly and switched to a vehicle that they can tow 4-down, have expressed that towing 4-down is less hassle and are glad they no longer have to use a dolly. Sure, there are some who love using a dolly but they are in the minority.

Using a dolly may pose problems with towing a pickup too depending on the configuration where you may have to disconnect the driveshaft, tow it backward (?), etc. And if weight is a concern, which is assumed if using a Class C, then you're just adding more weight by using a dolly.

Our first response was based on what late model small pickups were the lightest and easiest to tow 4-down. The Colorado/Canyon is, in our opinion, the best combination of everything you're looking for. It's relatively lightweight (under 4,000 pound curb weight), it's 4x4, and there aren't any restrictions on towing or special procedures to follow.

Again, and this is only our opinion we are expressing, using a tow dolly is a hassle! Not only in the procedural issues but also the fact that you have a bulky piece of equipment to store both at home and at a campground. The initial cost may be more to install base plates, buy a tow bar, do additional wiring for lights, and buying a braking system but well worth it for most of us.

The advantage of a dolly is that you might be able to use it to tow another car or vehicle as opposed to a system that is dedicated to one vehicle.

I've attached the 2012 MotorHome Magazine dinghy roudup below if you'd like to take a look at it. It will give you the vehicles whose manufactures give explicit permission to tow 4-down. It is, of course, not a comprehensive list as some manufacturers choose to keep quiet about towing 4-down but some their vehicles can be towed nonetheless. As was pointed out previously, go to the Remco site for a comprehensive description of vehicles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012 Dinghy Roundup from MotorHome Magazine.pdf (2.87 MB, 62 views)
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just purchased a 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 for use as a toad. The part I liked was it is a automatic with electronic transfer case and a neutral switch. Trans in Park, transfer case in neutral. Pretty sinmple. We wanted the crew cab for grandchildren. The book said 4300#. Added a hiboy canopy and ended up at 4900. MH is rated at 5000. Towbar is rated at 5000. I am a little worried that I am pushing the envelope...We previously towed a 72 MG. Only weighed 2300#. It was great fun, but two small with two adults and two Dachshunds!
Mixmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmanbob View Post
I just purchased a 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 for use as a toad. The part I liked was it is a automatic with electronic transfer case and a neutral switch. Trans in Park, transfer case in neutral. Pretty sinmple. We wanted the crew cab for grandchildren. The book said 4300#. Added a hiboy canopy and ended up at 4900. MH is rated at 5000. Towbar is rated at 5000. I am a little worried that I am pushing the envelope...We previously towed a 72 MG. Only weighed 2300#. It was great fun, but two small with two adults and two Dachshunds!
Yeah you are pushing it. Get rid of the canopy and get a Hard folding tonneau cover. You still be pushing it but about 500# lighter.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #18

i tow a 1999 ranger sport single cab(fiberglass box) on a dolly.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #19

We towed a 2008 Ford Ranger 4x4 Auto years ago with a motorcycle in the pickup bed. We were very happy towing the Ranger, but no longer take the bike. Should anyone decide to tow a Ranger, I removed the tow bar, and will sell reasonable. Just PM me.

Tags
towing