Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

suitable light pickup trucks for motor home towing

We are considering buying a late model or new light pickup truck to tow behind our class C motor home. Can anyone help with suitable truck models for 4 wheels on the ground towing. Also, is dolly towing a better or equal way of towing given the cost of towing equipment?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A search will find multiple discussions of tow dolly vs. 4 down towing.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

The new Ford F150 trucks are said to be four down towable. About the other brands I have not heard anything.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

I believe the lightest and most practical small pickup that is towable 4-down is the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 4WD which is under 4,000 lbs. curb weight. There's no restrictions on speed and it can be towed with an automatic transmission.

The Nissan small pickup used to be popular but not as much anymore as I believe you have to stop every 500 miles and idle the engine for a few minutes. They are also slightly heavier than the Colorado/Canyon.

We've never used a dolly but wouldn't the cost of a dolly be almost as much as a tow bar and base plates? Even if using a dolly is initially less expensive, we'd much rather tow 4-down, ourselves.

ETA: @KSCRUDE, yes, the F150 is a good choice too but is almost 1,000 pounds heavier than the Colorado/Canyon. Since the OP is using a Class C, he may want to keep it as light as possible.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #5

You are right, the F150 rigs are plenty heavy. Another great 4 down tow rig is the Jeep wrangler. I have one, 2 door 2011 and it still is 4000 pounds. Not light but a great and easy 4 down tow rig. I tow on a aluminum trailer so I can take any rig I can load on the trailer. I think our 13 escape 4by is around 3400 pounds. Have hauled both it and the jeep, and a smart car. Traded the smart for the escape. The smart is only 1800 pounds. Can't get much lighter then that unless you go 2 wheeler!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

Ah, ok. Good information. We were just focusing on light pickups as that is what the OP was asking about. I can't think of any other late model light pickups that are towable. I don't think I saw the Ranger or the Toyota Tacoma on the Motorhome Mag Dinghy list this year ...are they still towable?

ETA: ooops, we forgot that the old Ranger is not available anymore and the new one is not quite out on the market yet?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a 2004 Chevy Colorado 4X4 crew cab with a Ready Brute w/Ready Brake Tow bar. I couldn't be happier with my setup! Easy to hook up, key off as it has no steering lock, transfer case in neutral, and no problems in many thousands of miles.

I used to tow a mini van on a dolly, never again!
One example, raining out, wife says turn here! Oh no, can't go forward, can't back up! Un-strap and un-chain mini van, pull off dolly, strong arm dolly from MH to mini van hitch (in traffic in the rain). Move dolly and minivan out of the way. Move MH to new location. Get mini van and dolly, strong arm dolly back to MH hitch. Drive mini van on dolly, and re-strap re-chain. Ready to go (and soaking wet and dirty)!

Same scenario with tow bar and truck, un clip 2 brake cables (aux and breakaway), un-plug 2 light plugs (running and brake indicator), remove two pins and two safety cables, move truck, move MH, reattach. Ready to go and much happier (still a little wet).

Ready Brute w/Ready Brake much less expensive than dolly (and I believe more secure and safer too IMHO).
Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I really do not consider any thing beingbuilt now as being light. the closest was the last to be made and that was the Ford Ranger.
THere areplenty of good used ons out there. My gad bought a nice 08 Ranger just a few months ago.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj View Post
I tow a 2004 Chevy Colorado 4X4 crew cab with a Ready Brute w/Ready Brake Tow bar. I couldn't be happier with my setup! Easy to hook up, key off as it has no steering lock, transfer case in neutral, and no problems in many thousands of miles.

One example, raining out, wife says turn here! Oh no, can't go forward, can't back up! Un-strap and un-chain mini van, pull off dolly, strong arm dolly from MH to mini van hitch (in traffic in the rain). Move dolly and minivan out of the way. Move MH to new location. Get mini van and dolly, strong arm dolly back to MH hitch. Drive mini van on dolly, and re-strap re-chain. Ready to go (and soaking wet and dirty)!

Same scenario with tow bar and truck, un clip 2 brake cables (aux and breakaway), un-plug 2 light plugs (running and brake indicator), remove two pins and two safety cables, move truck, move MH, reattach. Ready to go and much happier (still a little wet).

Ready Brute w/Ready Brake much less expensive than dolly (and I believe more secure and safer too IMHO).
Now with my trailer I can back around the block if need be. And I have a 2 foot high rock guard on the front of the trailer. Keep road rash off and toad chip free. And I can backup! And trailer has its own brakes and own LED lighting so nothing has to be done to the toad. Trailer is tilt so no ramps or anything to do but strap the toad down. Ford has a new ranger vehicle out but so far it is only available on the overseas markets. Seen it in truck trend and it looks like a nice rig. And Ecoboost powered. Economy of a four banger, power of a V6.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj View Post

And after backing out of this dead end jam, I will be clean and dry and safe while never leaving the drivers seat
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I really do not consider any thing beingbuilt now as being light. the closest was the last to be made and that was the Ford Ranger.
THere areplenty of good used ons out there. My gad bought a nice 08 Ranger just a few months ago.

I just looked up the weight of an older Ranger and compared it with a new Colorado/Canyon and they are pretty comparable in weight with the GM twins being slightly lighter. So the OP can look for an older Ranger or if he wants to buy new, the Colorado/Canyon would also fit the bill.

So yes, generally, we think you're correct in that anything else in the small pickup category is going to be heavier.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If yo want find out if what you are thinking about getting is towable 4 down then go to Remco : The Towing Experts
and plug in the info to see.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
x2 on the Chevy Colorado (must be the 4wd version). Easy to set up, easy to tow! Mine is a crew cab, so a little heavier than some perhaps, but I have a little more room to take people with me when I need/want to.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Now with my trailer I can back around the block if need be. And I have a 2 foot high rock guard on the front of the trailer. Keep road rash off and toad chip free. And I can backup! And trailer has its own brakes and own LED lighting so nothing has to be done to the toad. Trailer is tilt so no ramps or anything to do but strap the toad down. Ford has a new ranger vehicle out but so far it is only available on the overseas markets. Seen it in truck trend and it looks like a nice rig. And Ecoboost powered. Economy of a four banger, power of a V6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
And after backing out of this dead end jam, I will be clean and dry and safe while never leaving the drivers seat
The OP was talking towing 4 down or dolly, never metioned trailer. That said, yea trailers are neat, you can back them up for miles! But as I have found out, you have to do something with the trailer while camping. At least with the dolly I had ben able to armstrong it under the back of the MH to keep it out of the way. With a pulled trailer I always had to find a off site place to store it (boat trailer), and the problem of moving it while not hooked to MH. "If" I can avoid a trailer while camping, I do.

Also just guessing, but I think a nice trailer might be a little more expensive than tow equipment.

Tags
towing