Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for ReadyBrake!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
I'm sold on Toad Stop....Home.
Did I hear you right....$900 + shipping and up and it still needs to be installed with these minimal parts?...
ToadStopQi consists of three major components under the hood; An Actuator, Reservoir, Vacuum Motor and the Toad Test Trigger inside the driver area.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36
Did I hear you right....$900 + shipping and up and it still needs to be installed with these minimal parts?...
ToadStopQi consists of three major components under the hood; An Actuator, Reservoir, Vacuum Motor and the Toad Test Trigger inside the driver area.
There's a lot to said for simplicity of use, ease of hook-up, absolutely no problem with either toad or MH warranties, and complete peace of mind that it's going to perform as advertised for a very long time. My wife can connect the system AND test operation in under a minute. If the car is pushing, it actuated the brake and slows the toad. If I press on the brake, it actuates and slows the toad. It's completely proportional, meaning it increases braking power the longer it is actuated. AND.....it won't burn out my toad brakes in a single 400 mile trip as I've been reading elsewhere in IRV2.

I don't know what your criteria are, but this one suits me perfectly, and I'm confident in recommending it to everyone.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
There's a lot to said for simplicity of use, ease of hook-up, absolutely no problem with either toad or MH warranties, and complete peace of mind that it's going to perform as advertised for a very long time. My wife can connect the system AND test operation in under a minute. If the car is pushing, it actuated the brake and slows the toad. If I press on the brake, it actuates and slows the toad. It's completely proportional, meaning it increases braking power the longer it is actuated. AND.....it won't burn out my toad brakes in a single 400 mile trip as I've been reading elsewhere in IRV2.

I don't know what your criteria are, but this one suits me perfectly, and I'm confident in recommending it to everyone.
I have no doubts about it's operation. Just saying that a Toyota does the job as well as a Mercedes at a lesser cost and with less parts to fail. As for READY BRAKE, it can't be any simpler, works as you've described, can be installed by most cub bears with boxing gloves on, and at a fraction of the cost.
By the way, if you find any testimony against READY BRAKE, please forward it to these forums, as I would like to explore it further and in detail.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another satisfied SMI Stay-in-Play user.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just started using the Invisibrake. Only a couple trips so far but it seems to work well and it is also easy to use. It is a permanent install in my Wrangler and nothing but one small wire to connect to MH along with towbar, breakaway cables and electrical embillical cord.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the idea of the invisibrake, my dealer also recomended it but I am very new at this.
Not sure how the invisibrake engages the brake pedal like other units do.
Again just getting started looking for a braking system - could use some advice.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Tell'em Sarah...
Old 03-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
US Gear UTB
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SMI Stay-N-Play Duo

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
What do you know? You can't even get a senior discount at a buffet. I

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of this depends on your tow vehicle and towed vehicle but here is my thoughts.

First the Invisible Brake system looks very good, When next I get a Towed I will SERIOUSLY consider it.. The other system I like is the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelarator.

The US gear system gives the driver of the motor home full INDEPENDENT control over the towed brakes as well as automatic (Tied to the motor home) control, this makes it the best system out there... but ... There are things I like about the invisible brake that are better . Those are the only systems I will consider when it happens (Less somethign better comes along)

M&G air/hydraulic system is a good one if it will fit on your towed, this goes between the vacuum booster and the brake master cylinder, so it is NOT affected by booster vacuum.

(NOTE: both of the systems I'm looking at have vacuum pumps to keep the vacuum booster working, So does the next one)

Air Force One is another air/hydraulic, this one like the two I consider is a pedal puller ,

All these are invisible to the driver of the towed,

Then there is one I think is called brake Master (NOT SURE) it is an air powered pedal pusher, it's better than the box systems, (Brake Buddy and such) but.. I still do not like having to hook up and unhook stuff to the pedal every time.

And last we have the box systems, TOO MUCH WORK as you have to install them EVERY time you tow and it's too easy for a short run to say "Oh, Forget it".
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm22 View Post
I like the idea of the invisibrake, my dealer also recomended it but I am very new at this.
Not sure how the invisibrake engages the brake pedal like other units do.
Again just getting started looking for a braking system - could use some advice.
Thanks

The invisibrake is tied into the vacuum system of the towed vehicle. When the RV's brake lights come on the invisibrake starts its compressor which pulls a cable that is attached to the brake pedals arm and pulls it towards the firewall. When the brake lights of the RV go off the compressor of the invisibrake releases the cable and the towed vehicles brake pedal comes back up to the normal position. There is a 20 second timeout as a safety so the brakes are never engaged longer than 20 seconds. This makes sure that the towed car doesn't damage the brakes if it's engaged too long. There is also a light on the RV's dash that lights whenever the ?Towed has it's brakes engaged. I've only used this system 3 times so far but it's been fine and seems to work. The brake pressure on the towed's brakes is adjustable too. The invisibrake and compressor are small and fits under my seat in my Wrangler. The hookup is a small wire and a breakaway cable that if separated will put on the towed's brakes. The SMI system may be better or maybe not. I have no way to determine that but this is the one I chose and I'm happy with it.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info!! Now I understand how the Invisibrake system works, I think I would rather go with that kind of unit. Don't really want to put a unit in and out of the toad each time.

Tags
brake