Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #1

Supplemental brake systems

Holy moley! There are as many opinions about supplemental brake systems as there are about whether the oil will be stopped in the Gulf. Need to get a brake system for 2010 Jayco Seneca towing 2010 Ford Edge. Want something that WORKS, but is also USER FRIENDLY (not into tinkering with stuff because I'm bored). Also don't want something that might void warranty of new car by cutting into lines etc. Looking at: Blue Ox Patriot, US Gear, Roadmaster and some others. After a while they all sound the same. Realize opinions will be based on what you have, but interested in them anyhow. Thanks.
1cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a Brake Buddy classic and am very happy with it and how it works. Less than 3 Min. to set up and 1 Min to remove.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
My Jeep manual warns against using any aux brake system that integrates into the brake lines or vacuum lines of the Jeep. This ReadyBrute System seems like the least invasive of all the aux brake systems. If I am going to tow, I want the easiest, safest and least invasive system that there is without moving contraptions in/out of the driver's floor area. This is info that I gleaned from the net while researching systems. It ended up being the one that I would use. It seems like a lot of the other heavily advertised systems use the brake and/or vacuum lines. Owners of other systems say that it is OK to do that, but my manual clearly warns against it. I decided that I would abide by the Jeep manual directions to avoid problems. Here are some of the specs:

ReadyBrake. It is called ReadyBrute when integrated into the tow bar.
It is a surge system. A hydraulic system on the slide receiver (tow bar) uses a cable to pull on the arm of the toad’s brake pedal. A factory set threshold is used to prevent application of the toad’s brakes on minor pressure against the slide from the toad. Monitoring: Application of toad’s brakes is signaled to the coach without wiring.

Adjustments to the system from within the coach: Not required.

Adjustments to the system from within the toad: Not required.

It does not use the toad’s power (vacuum) assist to aid in the application of its brakes!

It does not connect to the brake line!

It does not use the toad’s electrical system!

It has a breakaway system!

It is proportional!

Lifetime Guarantee.

We have been limited to weekends and nearby campgrounds due to DW still employed, As soon as she retires we will go with this system. You can "google" it for more info. Happy travels, Joe
Old 07-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #4

I use the Patriot and am very happy with it. It's a very user friendly system and simple to use. I like being able to transfer it to a different vehicle if I want and it's not always the same amount of brake each time. If I need less or more brake it adjusts accordingly. Very good product and to me Blue Ox is still a leader in the industry.
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the US-Gear Unified Brake Declelarator.

Porportional, Progressive and full driver control of the towed vehicle

Where as the guy with the brake buddy needed 3 minutes, I needed less than 3 seconds to hook up and less than one second to unhook.

Don't get much easier than that
Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SMI Stay-N-Play, plug in the lights and you are ready to go.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Second US Gear Unified Tow Brake
Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #8

I’m a big fan of the US Gear & SMI’s system. My shop primarily sell’s US Gear because of our own reason’s & we’re a Blue Ox Dealer. Here is my 2 cent’s, I don’t believe that any engineer from any automotive manufacture ever thought that a brake peddle was ever going to be pushed on without vacuum more then a couple times. How many times while driving does your car shut off and you push the dead peddle? How many times do you think the engineer calculated for that, dought he/she factored in a brake system?
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #9

Stay-N-Play-Dou one flick of a switch and you are ready to tow.

It takes longer to attach the tow bar, lights, safety cables, brake-away cable and check operation of all the lights then it takes to flick one switch inside your toad from "Off to ON"

Henry.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we looked around, I thought the Roadmaster Brakemaster was the best compromise.
1. It does NOT require modifications to the brake system on the toad
2. It does have toad braking that is only activated by stepping on the MH's brake pedal. The harder you step, the more toad brake is applied. What this means is that the toad's brake is NOT activated by the exhaust brake or a long down hill.
3. It does have a breakaway feature
4. While it installs between a bracket near the front seat of the toad and attaches to the brake pedal, the piston is light, easily held by one hand and installed in just a couple of seconds.
5. There is no adjustment to make - ever
6. I've seen lots of folks talk about the superior service on their brake systems after failures. We've never needed service in 6 years of use. That is the way I prefer it.
7. I installed the system originally and then moved it to our newest toad. The installation takes about 4 hours and the most difficult part is fishing the air line through the firewall. The rest is just hanging the backup cylinder for the breakaway and creating a fused electric line off the battery to power the breakaway.

If you don't have an air brake equipped MH, they have an air compressor that sits in the toad.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #11

I have unified brake system on last three MH's and very happy with it. If we all agreed there would only be one brand. Like junk, one mans junk is anothers treasure.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #12

My choice was the US-Gear Unified Brake Declelarator.

Porportional, Progressive and full driver control of the towed vehicle as previously stated. Perhaps more costly to install but it's so unobtrusive once in place that you'll never notice it. No box to move around. Just hook up the tow bar and electrical cable and you're on your way. No in the car finagling.

It also keeps your car battery charged from the coach since it is electrically operated.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #13

I enjoy my D-Brake Professional Tow Brake. Reasons: 1) Noninvasive and not a permanent system 2) Uses an electric actuator instead of air cylinder (Drains battery much slower and is not an on or off system) 3) Uses an accelerometer instead of a pendulum, which was used in my old brake buddy 4) Wireless RF (Can change gain settings and apply trailer brake from the coach. Also lets you know of any errors and when the brake is active)