Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #1

Supplemental Braking AFO vs Invisibrake vs US Gear

My husband and I have become disenchanted with the Brake Buddy recommended by our RV dealer because of recurrent false braking of the towed vehicle.

We are in the market for a smarter supplemental braking system and have narrowed our choices to SMI's Air Force One, Roadmaster's Invisibrake, and US Gear's Unified Tow Brake. My husband is disabled and will not be doing the install, and there are very few local installers for the US Gear product, so that may be ruled out by necessity.

Any comments or suggestions on these 3 products? Any one with personal experience with these 3 products pro or con? We have a 2015 Fleetwood Expedition DP and will be towing a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD pickup.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
My buddy and I both went through the same as you--used the Brake Buddy boxes (ours were sold by BlueOx, so called Partiot), became dissatisfied with them, and then upgraded. He chose the AFO that taps into his DP air brakes, and I chose the M&G product that also uses DP air brake lines.

Having seen exactly how these two systems work, I would highly recommend either of them. You didn't mention the M&G in your post, so if you haven't discovered that one yet, look it up. I love that system and would repeat the install if I had it to do over again. I believe my buddy would use the M&G if it were possible for his toad too, but it is not, and he is also very happy with his AFO. He liked it enough to have it installed on a second car so that they can choose which to tow for a given trip.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I can tell you first-hand that the AFO works and really decreases stopping distances over not having toad brakes. In fact, it feels like I can stop faster with the toad connected than without it. I have also pulled some large box trailers with electric brakes and they don't compare to the seamless operation of the AFO.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We have been pleased with our Air Force 1 also. It is easy to use once installed. Just plug in the air line, break away cable and the cable for the lights and your are ready to go. Nothing to do inside for the brakes.

Steve
Old 07-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #5

Nothing but trouble with Invisibrake . Had it removed.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have has US Gear since 2003 and it works well. The only downside is a rather lengthy initial installation. After that it works well and is dead simple. All you do when hooking up is hook up your normal electrical cable between the coach and the towed vehicle, and attach a breakaway cable between the two. Done. When unhooking, reverse the above.

The USGear comes with the breakaway feature which will bring your car to a stop if it ever breaks loose. It also includes a charge line that keeps your car's battery charged while towing, using power from the coach alternator. (No more dead batteries when towing.)
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have recently has an invisibrake installed and it has worked great so far. Probably about 1200-1500 towed miles.
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We use the RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 with our rig although since getting the Magna and finding out the DW has liver cancer I haven't taken the time to hook it up. Need to do it although the Magna has all wheel air disk and three stage engine brake and I really don't notice the need for more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #9

AF1 here. Very happy with it. I had a hard time finding someone to install it. RV dealers only want to install the boxes that sit on the floor. I finally talked to my local auto mechanic. He said "no problem". He did it all for <$400. I looked at the M&G but it wouldn't work on a Saturn Vue.
We had been using a Roadmaster Even Brake, but due to my shoulder problems I couldn't put it on the brake pedal anymore. Then my angel got where she was unable to do it. We are extremely happy with the AF1.
I got my AF1 for a very good price from dyersonline.com.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
AirForceOne here. Installed late 2006, and over 55,000 miles with absolutely no issues. Wouldn't even think of switching back to any of the others (have had most of them in the past).
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
AF1 here also. Just love it.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #12

I also went from a EvenBrake to an AF1.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

We have the US Gear and I'm very happy with it.

Their newest model uses a standard trailer brake controller, so it will operate any trailer with electric brakes as well.

I have yet to meet anybody with AFO that is unhappy with.

You can't go wrong with either.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:20 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Previously had M&G and would have used it again however it would not fit in my current tow vehicle. Switched to AFO and am extremely happy with it. Like the M&G, the AFO is very simple to set up and use. Highly recommend either one

Hope this helps, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake