Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #29

Well... litigation is a "moot poit" only until someone decides to take action! You are kidding yourself if you think for a minute that you are not going to be in the mix if there is ever an accident. All it will take is ONE. ASE certified or not, anyone selling/installing these devices without fully disclosing the FACTS would be a party to any litigation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #30
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Manufactuers almost never endorse an aftermarket part....

Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #31
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Larry,

I've done Freightliner warranty work and beleive me the only one's they are worried about are themselves...I'll leave it at that!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #32

Mid Atlantic Campers
Wow, what a thread, reminds me of the old ECM upgrade debates . I like the SMI system the best, and I will prob upgrade soon. Mike I like the statement "no manufacturer likes aftermarket parts" so true. I will be glad to sign that I knew what I was doing, and that I also thought this upgrade made my coach and toad the safest combo there could be. I wonder how the lawyers would read that?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #33
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Steve,

Check out www.mgengineering.com before you make a decision.Thanks for agreeing with me.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Manufactuers almost never endorse an aftermarket part.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sorry, but thatstatement is one of the more ridiculous, uninformed and misleading statements that have been made here so far. In the industry, the term "after-market" suggests that the part is a replacement for an original equipment (OE) part. None of the chassis manufacturers equip their chassis OE with an auxiliary breaking system. So, none of the systems being discussed are considered "after-market."

Now, if you are trying to relate your comments to equipment added to a chassis, just what do you think a motorhome manufacturer is as it relates to the chassis manufacturer? All added equipment! The big difference? Each of the body builders signs on to follow very strict engineering and building guidelines laid out by the chassis manufacturer in a published builder's guide. That not only applies to motorhome builders, but any equipment builder using an incomplete vehicle (chassis, cut-away cab-chassis etc.) to build their product (motorhome fire truck aerial-lift etc.) None of these equipment manufacturers would think for a second of adding equipment that was not in keeping with the published builder's guide or specifically approved by the chassis manufacturer. Would you like to take a guess as to why? Liability! Unfortunately, there are far too many "experts" out there that really don't have the expertise and understanding of the "big picture" acting as if they are fully qualified to override detailed engineering specifications.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #35
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Larry,

That is my point,those warranties are written by Lawyers,who have absolutly ZERO common sense!If we had an Engineer from Freightliner down here at our shop watch us install a tow brake he would approve it!Since it appear you have never done any of these type repairs,then you most likely dont know what I'm talking about anyway.This is what I do for a living & have been for 16 years.All manufactures owners manuals have disclaimers written in them,every single one.And all of them have some sort of ridiculous,no common sense statement about how you'll void your warranty by doing something.If you don't want to hookup a towed brake then don't.I just telling you what we do here....And again we show the customer where,How & why we hook up the tow brake system the way we do!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #36
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Steve,

Check out www.mgengineering.com before you make a decision.Thanks for agreeing with me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, I have the Air Force One from SMI on my coach and dearly love it....works as advertised, which by the way is similar in nature to what M and G offers....SMI is a sponsor of IRV2 as well.
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #37

The mods should move this post to the proper forum.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #38
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
The mods should move this post to the proper forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree....DONE!!

It was more a towing/toad issue than a specific National RV issue.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #39
Official iRV2 Sponsor

RebelsBeach,

M&G may not sponsor this site But my company does(BrazelsRV) & we are a distributor for the M&G tow brake.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #40
Administrator Emeritus

RebelsBeach,

M&G may not sponsor this site But my company does(BrazelsRV) & we are a distributor for the M&G tow brake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not pulling hairs here..... SMI is a sponsor of this site as well and they make a fine product, just as I'm sure the product you are a distrubutor for is a fine product as well...

Please watch for a PM from me....
Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #41

Mid Atlantic Campers
Seems to me this thread did start in Towing & Toads, I don't know how it got to National RV.

We as members should be able to refer to any product we wish, wether a sponsor or not. Lets not let this thing get out of context.

Trandwinds how about filling in a signature so we can get an idea of who you are, and where your from, a simple curtisy. And I must say your slamming Mike isn't gonna do you alot of good around here, Brazels has done alot for alot of people around this forum. Let's keep it civil, even when we disagree. At least that's what I've been told several times.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I installed the M&G myself on my coach and car. Last year I went to Gaffney for M3 service and some warranty work. The shop foreman commented on the install and the unit. He said I did a nice job he liked the system. He didn't threaten to void my Warranty. The lawyers put these disclaimers to avoid being pulled into any lawsuits which arise from improper installation and subsequent damages. They know a lawyer will see deep pockets at Freightliner and drag them in. JMO