RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

Surge brake towing

Has anyone had experience with a surge brake tow bar? If so any pros or cons? What brand have you used?

thallsalinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallsalinas View Post
Has anyone had experience with a surge brake tow bar? If so any pros or cons? What brand have you used?
I don't have a lot of mileage on our ReadyBrute Elite. Leaving in 2 weeks for a 6,000 mile trip so will have more experience.

We towed our fullsize Expedition with one home after picking up our RV in Elkhart. The braking cables have to be adjusted after the arms have stretched completely out (don't ask me how I know that). It worked great. I had my wife drive for a while and was able to watch and video the car being towed and observed the action of the braking mechanism.

So far I am glad I went that way. The big plus is there is no braking system which has to be electrically wired and/or put on the driver's floor and attached to the brake peddle.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, would be interested to know how it performs on your trip.
thallsalinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Ready Brute Elite and have used it for 2 years now about 14000 miles. Works great no issues. Just made a new brake cable, mine was getting wear spots on the plastic wire coating. Just copied the original got all parts from home depot about $4.00 total. Bought it from amazon and saved a bunch of money.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ready Brute Elite here too. About 5K miles on it towing a Jeep JK. No problems. I went that route so I could DIY install and didnít want to cut into MH brake lines. Also have Ready breakaway kit installed. Towbar hooks to BlueOx baseplate. All self-installed. Hereís a picture...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	524.6 KB
ID:	189568
les.warden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've used the ReadyBrute Elite for about 4 years now, it works great and we are very happy with it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also have the ReadyBrute Elite towbar/surge brake combo, almost 40,000 miles on it. I don't know why anyone would ever use anything else.
The only improvement I would make is the linkage cable. I just bought a Stainless turnbuckle that makes adjusting the cable easier, they do stretch and need to be checked from time to time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
About same report as above. Ready Brute Elite, 20000 up and down major pass's, brakes when service brakes are applied. Gearing down to hold speed on the down hill and the trans holds speed well, then touch the service brakes if needed(stab braking). Had to really hit the brakes hard once and was surprised how fast the C and 4-runner can come to a dead stop. Simple EZ to install and EZ to use after.

LEN
Old 01-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

Same here on Ready Brute Elite. We installed the system (brakes and emergency breakaway) on our Jeep JK ourselves and could not be happier. Did a 3000 mile trip this past summer and it worked flawlessly. Yep - first time or two using, you have to play with cable adjustments before it is dialed in correctly. For the price and the product quality / performance, I don't know what people would not strongly consider this product as a 1st choice. Plus, doing the installation yourself, you know what you have, how it works, what to look for if a problem does arise. Wife and I installed the system with no arguments!! What else can I say??
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

Could the previous posterís, post the weight of your toads Thanks.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #11

I have been using the Ready Brute Elite for 2 years and it has worked very well for me. It is so easy to hook up and I don't even feel my toad back there. I have towed a jeep liberty (around 4000 Lb.) and a chevy trailblazer ( around 5100 Lb.), they both pull very well. I have loaded both toads with about 500 Lb. of cargo weight several times so that would be on top of stated weight. I pull with a 500 HP diesel pusher and I can barely even tell there is a toad behind me. I installed the same setup for my best friend who is pulling a GMC Envoy with his Ready Brute Elite. He is driving a 30 Ft. Class A with a ford chassis, V10 gas and he says it works great for him also. I would highly suggest buying the ready brute elite and with some of the money you save over lots of other systems, that you purchase a tire pressure monitor so you know how all of your tires are doing. When I started towing my jeep liberty I could just imagine going along thinking everything is fine and someone pulling up beside me flagging me down to let me know I was dragging the liberty with a tire completely gone.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Could the previous posterís, post the weight of your toads Thanks.
2012 Subaru Impreza 4 door AWD, manual transmission, about 3000 lbs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have been using the Ready Brake Elite for about 5 years and 15,000 miles. I had a 2010 Equinox and I now have a 2016 Equinox. My weights for both of these are a little over 4,000 pounds each. The Elite is rated 8,000 (I think) pounds.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to my friend Google mine is...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	189722

les.warden is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow, towing