Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
4 Down

After over 13000 miles in one summer with a dolly I was more than ready to switch to a tow bar.
Lost three tires due to dolly axles out of alignment. Try to find a replacement for a very unique tire size in the Yukon (I started with two spares).
Crawling in the mud to hook up safety chains (car to dolly)wasn't much fun.
Unhooking the dolly and toad to turn around when a main highway dead ended due to construction didn't take too long.
If you travel to AK with a dolly you'll likely need lights other than on the dolly. The flying "chip seal" stones totally destroyed my dolly lights and shredded the wires. We had magnet lights struck on the toads trunk. They survived the stones, but left their mark in the paint.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
[QUOTE=Sequim Guy;977916]If you can't bend/squat/kneel to hook up a dolly, how do you hook up water/electricity/sewer? Just wondering. QUOTE]

I do not have to kneel to hook anything up. As for bending & squatting, that is usually only to hook up the sewer connections. I do that as quickly as possible and yes, it is painful. If I find a campground with underground connections (such as Red Oak Ranch in Hempstead, TX) I ask for help the first time and then I make sure I do not return to that campground again.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Are you (OP) sure you can tow that Grand AM 4 down, without having to do some ad-on mods ????
Old 10-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #46

We found out it would be about a grand to hook up a grand am. Needless to say, we did head out for the weekend and it took 3 hours to leave our city because the bearing cap broke off the tow dolly and was catching on fire. So, after turning around and driving the car back off the dolly. We left with no vehicle and rented a car instead. I have seen more RVers driving without towing anything and wondered why; hmm, maybe no need to wonder, now. :-). What is (OP)?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklove View Post
:-). What is (OP)?
It usually refers to the "original post" meaning the first in the thread... and sometime original poster.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow 4 down out of necessity. My van is a wheelchair conversion and can only be towed all wheels on the ground or all off the ground. I had to add a Remco pump beside the base plates, tow bar and brakemaster braking system. It has been well worth the money.

I love the freedom of having my van and larger power wheelchair with me when on the road. It makes side trips and shopping so much easier. Getting around RV parks and campgrounds is easier too.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
We found out it would be about a grand to hook up a grand am. Needless to say, we did head out for the weekend and it took 3 hours to leave our city because the bearing cap broke off the tow dolly and was catching on fire. So, after turning around and driving the car back off the dolly. We left with no vehicle and rented a car instead. I have seen more RVers driving without towing anything and wondered why; hmm, maybe no need to wonder, now. :-). What is (OP)?
Exactly! I find its usually cheaper and easier to just rent a car if needed, and take along a scooter..

One thing I have to question is why always 'store' the dolly? If you are in a pull though, you could leave it connected and secured with a hitch lock.. For that matter, even if you had to back up, you could still 'store' it hitched up and locked. Makes loading up to go a whole lot easier

Reading some of the replies, there are some serious misconceptions on both sides... But, doesnt matter anyways, its like politics and football, everyone has there opinion and they aint a changing
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
We tow a Grand Am 4 down and are considering getting a Jeep or CRV, what year is your Grand Am? Ours is a 2004 and we had the plate on our 2003 before.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
I would have thought the extra weight of a tow dolly would limit what you could tow, weight-wise, with a gasser. I own a DP with a 10k hitch and tow 4 down though, and don't have experience towing with a dolly or with a gasser.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #52

When I hook up my toad, I slide two spring loaded rods into the toad, drive it up to the rear of the MH (doesn't have to be accurate since the arms of the tow system slide in/out and twist left/right), attach the arms and hook up safety chains and electric cord...done.

Last week I watched my neighbor put his toad on a two wheel dolly. First he got in the toad and went to the remote parking area, hooked up the trailer to the toad and brought it back to the MH. Unhooked the trailer from the toad, moved the toad, and hooked the trailer to the MH. Drove the toad up on the trailer, took three tries. Once on the trailer, he strapped down the two front wheels, hooked up the two safely chains around each side of the front axle, hooked up the trailer's safety chains and electrical wiring...done.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
And still worth not spending another $10-15k for a toad...
Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe

We tow a Grand Am 4 down and are considering getting a Jeep or CRV, what year is your Grand Am? Ours is a 2004 and we had the plate on our 2003 before.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #55

Now we are talking of selling the tow dolly and the grand am and just renting a vehicle at our destination. When we ended up doing this in Marrietta GA due to the issue with the tow dolly breaking down. It took pressure off the rig, the driver, and it was easy with enterprise "we will pick you up" and it was great. We laughed that we should take a Pro RV'er with us the first trip. So next is Gatlinburg with no tow and yes to renting. Lessons learned.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Renting if needed is sooooo much easier... and, when you think about it, prolly cheaper depending....

Tags
dolly, gas, towing