Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #15

The owners manual for our 03 Suzuki XL 7 instructions for recreational towing of vehicle with manual transmission reads as follows:

1) Shift the manual transmission lever into 2nd gear.

2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position. 3

3) Shift transfer lever into neutral.

4)Make sure the "4WD" light on the instrument cluster is "OFF."

5) Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" position to unlock the steering wheel.

6) Release the parking brake.

NOTE: Stop towing the vehicle every 200 miles. Leave the manual transmission in 2nd gear. With the transfer lever still in neutral, start the engine and rev it for about one minute with the clutch engaged to circulate oil in the transfer case.

Not sure if instructions for the 03 Suzuki applies to older models.

Best of luck & safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #16

I guess, your options are: 1. Take the risk with no braking system; 2. Get a used brake buddy or something similar or 3. Have your spouse/friend drive the Suzuki while you drive the M/H.
Personally, I'm not willing to take the risk, having an accident and not having the necessary insurance coverage because I failed to spend a few hundred dollars on a used braking system.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:44 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
I guess, your options are: 1. Take the risk with no braking system; 2. Get a used brake buddy or something similar or 3. Have your spouse/friend drive the Suzuki while you drive the M/H.
Personally, I'm not willing to take the risk, having an accident and not having the necessary insurance coverage because I failed to spend a few hundred dollars on a used braking system.
I don't think there is a "risk" to it as long as you stay with in the CGVW of your coach and use some common sense as far as weight of towed vehicle to weight of towing vehicle.

Towing a tracker behind a 4k lb van, yes, I would get a brake buddy. But put it behind a chassis that is rated 15k CGVW and weights 11k and I doubt you will even notice it.

The main thing is what is Braking system rated for? If you are towing within that CGVW then you should be ok with no problems. When I tow my bobcat and trailer behind my coach, I'm towing almost 7000LBS and yes the trailer brakes make a huge difference. Same with my boat that weights in at 5klbs. Where you place your load on a trailer controls the hitch weight, after that it is a matter of using your gears more often for the hills and mountains. But brakes really can't be adjusted for in your driving habits.

When I use to tow my Tracker I could not tell it was even there except in cross winds that tend to cause "tail wags the dog" syndrome. You know, where the winds blows a light vehicle easily and so it levers the larger heavier vehicle by the end.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
I don't think there is a "risk" to it as long as you stay with in the CGVW of your coach and use some common sense as far as weight of towed vehicle to weight of towing vehicle.

Towing a tracker behind a 4k lb van, yes, I would get a brake buddy. But put it behind a chassis that is rated 15k CGVW and weights 11k and I doubt you will even notice it.

The main thing is what is Braking system rated for? If you are towing within that CGVW then you should be ok with no problems. When I tow my bobcat and trailer behind my coach, I'm towing almost 7000LBS and yes the trailer brakes make a huge difference. Same with my boat that weights in at 5klbs. Where you place your load on a trailer controls the hitch weight, after that it is a matter of using your gears more often for the hills and mountains. But brakes really can't be adjusted for in your driving habits.

When I use to tow my Tracker I could not tell it was even there except in cross winds that tend to cause "tail wags the dog" syndrome. You know, where the winds blows a light vehicle easily and so it levers the larger heavier vehicle by the end.
It really has NOTHING to do with the CGVW! If the state you happen to be driving in has a law that states that towed vehicle or trailer must have it's own braking system and you choose not to abide and have an accident, the likelihood of YOUR insurance company, the one you have LIABILITY coverage with, probably will not pay.The choice seems very clear, at least to me, spend the $300 - $400 on a used Brake Buddy OR be prepared to pay perhaps THOUSANDS out of pocket because of a denied claim by your insurance company.
Here are the weight limits which you might find informative Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #19

I'm curious, what year were auxiliary brakes for vehicles towed behind motor homes available on the market?

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here are the rules for California per the AAA Digest:

California
Every trailer and semitrailer manufactured after 1940 with a GVW of 6,000 lbs. or more and operated at a speed of 20 mph or more must be equipped with brakes; trailers and semitrailers built after 1966 and with a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must have brakes on at least 2 wheels; every trailer or semitrailer built after 1982 and equipped with air brakes must be equipped with brakes on all wheels.
Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

When this comes up, many will argue that a toad is NOT a trailer and the discussion goes on forever without a resolution.

California's overriding rule is that the towing vehicle must be able to stop in "X" amount of distance while towing, as compared to the stopping distance of the tow vehicle by itself. I don't have or remember the numbers off hand.

With all that said, your coach is not going to know that Suzuki is even back there. No one is going to stop you on your way home and check for a braking system, not even the "Litigation Police". Motor homes are RARELY involved in accidents and even if you were, law enforcement would have to know to check for a braking system.
Curb weight of a Suzuki Sidekick is under 3000 lbs so brakes are not required in CA.

Oops! GVWR is over 3000, by 85lbs so the Sidekick is over the limit. However the Samauri is not and can be legally towed in CA w/o brakes.
Woodlandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #21

Is there any mention in the CA. law about breakaway controls ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #22

I found this Recreational Vehicle and Trailers Handbook, https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES , which indicates that breakaway switch is not required while towing a car. It does indicate that a breakaway switch is required for trailers over 1500 lbs, so they are apparently under different regulations. However this was printed in 2011 and things may have changed since then. On the other hand it would seem that if things had changed the handbook would have been updated to reflect that.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #23

Just to be certain there were no "gaps" between my sometimes faulty memory and what the manual actually says about our 1992 Tracker.

The manual says;

1 Set parking brake.

2 Turn ignition switch to ACC to unlock steering wheel. (Easy to forget, I have, but odd handling or screeching on curves always reminded me before I got very far. Your MH may be different so good to double check.)

3 Shift your automatic transmission to P (park), or your manual transmission into 2 (second).

4 Shift transfer case to N (neutral).

5 Set hubs to FREE. See "Four Wheel Drive" in the index. (Checked, nothing there that pertained to towing, but page 59 indicated a procedure to unlock hubs as follows).

a. Stop your vehicle.
b. Drive seven feet (two meters) in the opposite direction you were
driving before you stopped.
c. Then, press the clutch if you have a manual transmission, and the transfer case to 2H. The hubs will unlock.

I have never done all this with mine. I just place them in either lock or free and go on. Mine are spring loaded and engage when the splines line up or disengage when the pressure on the splines is relieved. I think the point in the manual is to be careful not to damage them while they are in the process of going one way or the other, mostly engaging.

6 Release parking brake.

NOTE: Stop towing the vehicle every 200 miles. Leave the manual transmission in 2nd gear. With the transfer lever still in neutral, start the engine and run it at medium speed for about one minute with the clutch engaged to circulate oil in the transfer case. Turn the ignition to ACC and continue towing.

It also says not to exceed 50 mph or the Geo could be badly damaged.

In towing ours without the disconnect I would run the engine when we stopped for fuel, lunch or for the night, sometimes 4 or 5 hundred miles. We usually run around 70 mph. Last summer we towed the little thing over 7k miles and, after having the disconnect for 8 or 10 previous years, forgot to start the engine at all unless we were going to use it. It seemed to survive without harm and I will have the disconnect installed this coming summer, or remember to start it occasionally. (Glad I was forced to look at the manual, faulty memory again).

I agree with those who say you will not even know it is back there, brakes or no brakes. I did install a backup camera in our "new to us" MH so I could watch it while we were towing and notice right away if anything was wrong. The TC had a window in the bottom of the back door that allowed me to watch it through the rear view mirror while towing with it. I don't think I would want to tow anything without being able to keep an eye on it.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:14 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you know that it is illegal for cows to fart in California? now they have to have fart bags, guess gov brown got tired of smelling the I5 dairies that have been there for a 100 years.

I under stand that the there is a bill in the legislature that will require this of all seinior's too!!! The exception being legislators and televised elected officials! Idea is to further strengthen smog control so we can all breath easier. The CSFA (California Senior Fart Association) is looking for donations to help fight this legislation.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Did you know that it is illegal for cows to fart in California? now they have to have fart bags, guess gov brown got tired of smelling the I5 dairies that have been there for a 100 years.

I under stand that the there is a bill in the legislature that will require this of all seinior's too!!! The exception being legislators and televised elected officials! Idea is to further strengthen smog control so we can all breath easier. The CSFA (California Senior Fart Association) is looking for donations to help fight this legislation.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Don't laugh too hard.....the cow thing is true. In 2018, California is pushing to put a measure on the ballot where we'll vote to secede from the U.S. and be our own Country. The idiots here believe that since California makes up the 7th largest economy they can go it alone. You can check their website Calexit,com. California would become it's own Country. I've put in an application to be king!

They believe we shouldn't be involved in any wars, should accept everyone, illegal or not and the environmental rules need to be more strict.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Don't laugh too hard.....the cow thing is true. In 2018, California is pushing to put a measure on the ballot where we'll vote to secede from the U.S. and be our own Country. The idiots here believe that since California makes up the 7th largest economy they can go it alone. You can check their website Calexit,com. California would become it's own Country. I've put in an application to be king!

They believe we shouldn't be involved in any wars, should accept everyone, illegal or not and the environmental rules need to be more strict.
Don, I don't think you could become king because hillary carried the state this past November, so therefore, shouldn't she become president of california? How can so many people be so detached from simple reality?
Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
We towed our 91 Tracker 5SPD 50K with no problems. Had Roadmaster brake system more for breakaway system then stopping. I put transfer case in Neutral as directed in manual but put transmission in 4th, read a post somewhere suggesting that in case transfer case got engaged would possibly keep engine from being overreved. Never had that happen had no problem either way. We used both auto and manual hubs again no problems either way. We sold with 140k miles 5 years ago and it's still kicking around Yuma.
Best towed we've had, wish we had it back. Just needed more room.
CHUCK05DSDP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad