Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

Suzuki Sidekick toad

Hi all
We are wintering in Arizona and just got a really good deal on a 1991 Suzuki Sidekick JX model 4x4 5 speed with a/c. looks like new. it comes with all the gear required to mate up with the road master sterling equipment that came with the motorhome, hooks up perfectly. only draw back is my Brake buddy is in Birch Bay Wa. where the Motorhome spends its summers. didn't think we'd be buying a tow car down here. Those of you with experience in dingy towing do you think it is ok to tow the Suzuki 4 down without a separate braking system? the Suzuki weighs in at 2300lbs dry and 2500 fuel oil water etc...the coach weighs in at gvwr 24,000lbs loaded and gcwr of 30,000lbs. We would need to tow it 1500 miles back to Wa. Mostly On the I-5
Thoughts please
Thank you

Milo
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #2

We've probably towed our '92 Tracker 4X4 5 speed (same thing except shorter 2 door) at least 15k 4 down without a driveshaft disconnect and another 50-60k with the disconnect. All without brakes and most of it behind a 11,000 lb TC. It has never been a problem. Just make certain the tow bar connections and safety chains are solid. As I recall the operators manual says front locking hubs to free, transfer in neutral, and transmission in 2nd. IMHO, they make a great toad. I wish ours had AC.

To be honest, I'm not certain about the brake requirements for towing a car in CA, they're difficult to unravel.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #3

Check the laws in the states you're towing through and check with your insurance company.

I'm sure you can tow that lightweight little scooter without brakes but I doubt you can legally do so and you'd be practically without insurance.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milom View Post
Hi all
We are wintering in Arizona and just got a really good deal on a 1991 Suzuki Sidekick JX model 4x4 5 speed with a/c. looks like new. it comes with all the gear required to mate up with the road master sterling equipment that came with the motorhome, hooks up perfectly. only draw back is my Brake buddy is in Birch Bay Wa. where the Motorhome spends its summers. didn't think we'd be buying a tow car down here. Those of you with experience in dingy towing do you think it is ok to tow the Suzuki 4 down without a separate braking system? the Suzuki weighs in at 2300lbs dry and 2500 fuel oil water etc...the coach weighs in at gvwr 24,000lbs loaded and gcwr of 30,000lbs. We would need to tow it 1500 miles back to Wa. Mostly On the I-5
Thoughts please
Thank you

Milo
Well Milo,
You'll get varied answers on this but, when we got into Jeeping, we did the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab UT for 15 years in a row. For the first 10 years of that activity, we had no toad brakes what so ever and, neither did any of the group that we ran with. There were about 10-12 couples in the group. But, as time went on and, more and more was mentioned about liability and all that crap, eventually all of us entered the world of toad brakes.

All of us had varied size and types of motor homes back then. And we all towed modified Jeeps weighing in at over 4500#. We all lived in San Diego at the time and, that's a 700 mile trip, ONE WAY. So, that meant around 1500 miles plus or minus, (depending on routes home) as a round trip. We all did it without one single issue. And there's plenty of grades between those two cities.

So, baring the "legal" issues, your coach will do just fine getting your new toy back home. Of course there's some common sense involved here. Program your stops a bit more than you normally would and all that. Be aware of your added length when changing lanes and all the rest of the "be careful" notations pertaining to toads and towing. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #5

I towed a Tracker behind our old gasser for many years without a aux. brake system with no issues. I came across a brake buddy at a garage sale and used that for a few years in the tracker then in my Ranger. With the new toad, I went with an M&G
Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I towed a 91 geo tracker 4 down behind my 26 foot class A moho gasser for over 100k miles with out toad brakes. Never had a problem. Now I tow my 07 elantra with out brakes too. You won't even know that it is there!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

Need brakes in California
Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Need brakes in California
Please direct me to the ruling that states that. It's not that I doubt what you're saying, but that I looked for this for a while without finding anything definite. I'd just like to know where it is.

Thanks,

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #9

Towed a 1997 Geo Tracker 4 x 4 that had to be towed with the rear wheels off the ground as stated in the Owners Manual. That did not last long. I would verify that it is flat towable in the Owners Manual if you have one.

Now have a 2002 Chevy Tracker 4 x 4 manual tranny that I have towed four down for 12 years. Tows great with no problems. Did tow it for a year or two without braking system, but now have an SMI Stay N Play. Be listing it in classifieds here soon, maybe in a month or two.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here are the rules for California per the AAA Digest:

California
Every trailer and semitrailer manufactured after 1940 with a GVW of 6,000 lbs. or more and operated at a speed of 20 mph or more must be equipped with brakes; trailers and semitrailers built after 1966 and with a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must have brakes on at least 2 wheels; every trailer or semitrailer built after 1982 and equipped with air brakes must be equipped with brakes on all wheels.
Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

When this comes up, many will argue that a toad is NOT a trailer and the discussion goes on forever without a resolution.

California's overriding rule is that the towing vehicle must be able to stop in "X" amount of distance while towing, as compared to the stopping distance of the tow vehicle by itself. I don't have or remember the numbers off hand.

With all that said, your coach is not going to know that Suzuki is even back there. No one is going to stop you on your way home and check for a braking system, not even the "Litigation Police". Motor homes are RARELY involved in accidents and even if you were, law enforcement would have to know to check for a braking system.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

Summaries of Calif. Vehicle Codes §26302 & 26303 are what Dutch Star Don pulled from the AAA digest.

CVC 26454 states the max stopping distance from 20 mph for vehicle types. the most relevant categories for this discussion:
passenger vehicles must stop within 25 feet
any single veh over 10k lbs GVW -- 40 feet
RV over 10k lbs GVW towing anything -- 50 ft

Set up a test at 20 mph to show you can stop with the toad within 50' and there is no legal requirement to have aux. brake in the toad.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #12

Not an issue. I would like to see a picture. How good of a deal? I paid $700 for mine.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #13

Suzuki Toad

Well here's one. I was all set up and ready to tow from Lake Havasu to Vegas, Transfer case in neutral and gear box in neutral, key in on position. then my neighbor pops over and says you got to put tranny in 2nd gear. he has a jeep and stated that's what it says in his owners manual( for jeep). I would think both in neutral is best, what you guys think/do?
Milo
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Milom".....I looked and couldn't find a manual for your car, but I found this post. It says if you own a 5 speed 4x4, you need the transfer case in neutral and gearbox in 2nd. It looks like you also need to make sure the locking hubs are disengaged. It looks like there might be issues if you have auto hubs.

Read through this post for some good info. I think your Havasu neighbor saved you some grief.....a bottle of wine may be in order.

towing a sidekick | Suzuki Sidekick Enthusiasts
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad