Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

Can anyone tell me if a kit is required to install a switch,to be used instead of pulling the fuse,when towing our 07 Saturn Vue...
Thanks to all who helped us decide on the Vue.
We love it...
Paul and Marg

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #2

Can anyone tell me if a kit is required to install a switch,to be used instead of pulling the fuse,when towing our 07 Saturn Vue...
Thanks to all who helped us decide on the Vue.
We love it...
Paul and Marg

3778 W24
Old 07-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #3

Hi I have a HHR and I installed a switch from the get go.I can not see pulling a fuse takes to long and hard to see and reach.Cost was a lot of money about $1.00 so that may stop some of the cheep skates from changing to a switch LOL Bushman
Old 07-21-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
paz

You don't need a kit, but one is available. Click this link and check out the 4th item down.

You can set the same thing up on your own for considerably less. All you need is a switch, some wire, and an in-line fuse. Just make sure the switch and wire you use are rated for at least as much amperage as the fuse you are replacing and make sure you the in-line fuse is the same amperage. The in-line fuse must be installed on the hot side of the fuse terminals in order to protect the wires and the switch.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bushman512003:
Hi I have a HHR and I installed a switch from the get go.I can not see pulling a fuse takes to long and hard to see and reach.Cost was a lot of money about $1.00 so that may stop some of the cheep skates from changing to a switch LOL Bushman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John,would you please tell us how you installed the switch,step by step....Sorry to be so untechnical....Thanks....Paul

3778 W24
Old 07-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:

You can set the same thing up on your own for considerably less. All you need is a switch, some wire, and an in-line fuse. Just make sure the switch and wire you use are rated for at least as much amperage as the fuse you are replacing and make sure you the in-line fuse is the same amperage. The in-line fuse must be installed on the hot side of the fuse terminals in order to protect the wires and the switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My Buddy is asking if the in-line fuse is necessary.....He is thinking we just need to switch the original fuse off and ON...I would appreciate your thoughts on this..Thanks,Paul

3778 W24
Old 07-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #7

Installed a switch in our 06 Vue. All parts purchased at a local autoparts store: 30 amp switch, in-line fuse holder and 30 amp fuse, and two blade connectors. I soldered a blade connector to the wire on one side of the fuse holder, cut the wire on the other side of the fuse holder to about an inch and attached it to one side of the switch, attached the cut off wire to the other side of the switch and soldered the second blade connector to the end of it. I glued the switch to the outside of the OEM fuse box cover, pulled the OEM fuse and inserted the blade connectors in its place. I notched the fuse box cover so it would snap closed over the wires. It is a lot easier than pulling the fuse and the switch has worked without fault for over a year and about 10,000 miles now.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #8

Yes, the inline fuse is required. The way to bypass pulling the fuse requires you to bypass the actual fuse location with 2 wires with an inline switch. To protect the circuit you must have an inline fuse on the 'hot' side of the switch to provide protection for the circuit.

You can either build one or purchase a setup for about $25-30 Here.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #9

Hi,
I choose a slightly different approach. Instead of adding a switch where a mistake could be made in the on/off direction I simply extended the fuse holder outside of the fuse box under the hood. This way I can easily pull the fuse and I,m sure its off. Works for me
Don
Old 07-22-2007, 04:08 AM   #10

Paul To start buy a off/on rocker switch a inline fuse 30amp and if You can find 2 feet of # 14-16 wire install the switch in right hand kick panel where the fuse box is.Makes a easy reach for off/on later.Use spade ends and wire to switch with inline fuse on hot side of switch I like to have switch Hot when in the toggle up but that is just My way to wire.Plug in the wire spades and test Key on 1st stop the wheele is unlocked move shifter from park the dash lights on now flip rocker switch and all goes off.You are ready to tow.Your hand book will explane the fuse to be removed.I think My car is #8 I did mine last year..Good luck if You have more ????? ask I will try to help Bushman If the switch is used you know you are right when the dash lights are off not a problem in My eyes and easy as 1-2-3...
Old 07-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulmarg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:

You can set the same thing up on your own for considerably less. All you need is a switch, some wire, and an in-line fuse. Just make sure the switch and wire you use are rated for at least as much amperage as the fuse you are replacing and make sure you the in-line fuse is the same amperage. The in-line fuse must be installed on the hot side of the fuse terminals in order to protect the wires and the switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My Buddy is asking if the in-line fuse is necessary.....He is thinking we just need to switch the original fuse off and ON...I would appreciate your thoughts on this..Thanks,Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As Pusherman says, you need the in-line fuse because the switch replaces the existing fuse. It is connected across the terminals where the fuse was. The in-line fuse should be on the hot side switch and as close to the old fuse as possible.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #12
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bushman512003:
Paul To start buy a off/on rocker switch a inline fuse 30amp and if You can find 2 feet of # 14-16 wire... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bushman - IMO, 14-16 gauge wire is a little light for 30 amp DC even for a short run. I would use at least #10.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 AM   #13

Paz thanks for the heads up on the #10 You may know more than Me on electrical I just hooked Mine up and it worked ok.I was told a long time ago not to change a new auto wire system to a higher load or impedance can mess up the computer actions there fore I add a less amount of draw thinking to over come that factor.Have You ran into that?Bushman
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 AM   #14
paz

Bushman, haven't run into any problem with higher load causing a problem for the computer. If that is a problem, lighter wire will result in a higher load than a heavier one. The lighter wire will take more juice to push the electricity through the thinner wire. However, if you're not drawing enough amps to blow your in-line fuse, you're probably OK.