RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

Taillights confusion

I am doing the final hookup for towing my car. When I check the taillights unhooked brake and taillights are red. Turn is clear. With the motorhome hooked up brake and turn are red and taillights are clear. If I swap the two wire coming from the motorhome to the diodes it makes the brakes clear. I remember seeing diodes kits that had three diodes per side. Is that what I need.

KWiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I would need more information. What type plug do you have? Is the plug on the motorhome factor installed? Who installed the plug on the Toad?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWiK View Post
I am doing the final hookup for towing my car. When I check the taillights unhooked brake and taillights are red. Turn is clear. With the motorhome hooked up brake and turn are red and taillights are clear. If I swap the two wire coming from the motorhome to the diodes it makes the brakes clear. I remember seeing diodes kits that had three diodes per side. Is that what I need.
KWiK,
First off, we need info on year/make/model/chassis of your coach. Second, year/make/model of toad. Third, when you refer to clear, what EXACTLY do you mean? Fourth, who did the wiring of the coach-to-toad? Fifth, do you have RED tail & brake lights and AMBER turn signals on your coach? Or, are all three, tail-brake-turn, all the same color? You see, having this basic info helps us help you with more accurate and informative answers.

The primary reasons for diodes is to prevent motor home lighting signals from traveling upstream to places they are not welcome. In the many, many toads Ive wired over the years, I have NEVER used any more than two. Some folks overthink this stuff too much. Ive used Radio Shack diodes for years and years and have NEVER had a single issue. But, since Radio Shack is now dead, one would have to acquire individual diodes elsewhere.

Id send you a very simple wiring diagram I drew up but, Im on my phone and dont have the ability to link photos. Anyway, as asked for, a tad more detail would help here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
KWik-

Scott's ("FIRE UP's") diagram:

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
KWik-

Scott's ("FIRE UP's") diagram:

Hey Mark,
I surely thank you for that. Were camping and I-net is sporadic at best.
Scott
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Mark,
I surely thank you for that. Were camping and I-net is sporadic at best.
Scott
I am not sure we have heard from OP what type plug he has but if it is a 7 pin
be careful when using this diagram as there are various different ways the 7 pin connectors are configured. Here is a site that shows many of them.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. I double checked today and when the car is not connected to the motorhome the taillights light up a bulb behind a red lens. When I push the brakes that same bulb gets brighter even though it only has one filament. The turn signal lights a yellow bulb with a clear lens. I did all the wiring and I am very confident that if the taillights worked there way trailers and older cars do everything would be fine. It seems to me the issue is because of the single filament bulb that has two brightness. The car is a 2018 Chevrolet Cruze. The motorhome is 2002 Coachman that I am sure the connecter is aftermarket. Both ends are the old style round 6 pin. I ran 4 wires to the back. A ground, a taillights wire that splits off to both sides, and a turn/ brake wire for each side.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. I double checked today and when the car is not connected to the motorhome the taillights light up a bulb behind a red lens. When I push the brakes that same bulb gets brighter even though it only has one filament. The turn signal lights a yellow bulb with a clear lens. I did all the wiring and I am very confident that if the taillights worked there way trailers and older cars do everything would be fine. It seems to me the issue is because of the single filament bulb that has two brightness. The car is a 2018 Chevrolet Cruze. The motorhome is 2002 Coachman that I am sure the connecter is aftermarket. Both ends are the old style round 6 pin. I ran 4 wires to the back. A ground, a taillights wire that splits off to both sides, and a turn/ brake wire for each side.
kwik,
Thanks for getting back to us here. Ok, lets analyze this. From what you describe, your '18 Cruise has RED tail and brake lights and, YELLOW turn signals, correct? Now, I'm not all that familiar with some of the later model cars in that, there are some that utilize LED elements for tail lights. When you say you turn on the lights in the car, you get red tail lights, correct? But, if the tail lights are already ON, and then you step on the brakes, they get brighter, correct? Well, with a standard, older style tail light bulb, there were/are TWO filaments.

One has the single duty of tail light operation. The other filament, has in many cases, DUAL duty. In that, it will light up when the brakes are applied and, it will also light up for a turn signal too. But, if a manufacturer wants INDEPENDENT turn signals, or otherwise known as "European" turn signals (in the old days), then they utilize YELLOW or AMBER turn signals.

So, you say that there is only ONE filament in the tail light and that single filament is both a tail light and brake light, correct? Well, LEDs can do that but, incandescent bulbs can't. Hence, that's why there's two filaments in the older styles.

Now, another side of this equation. The motor home. Do you have AMBER turn signals on that coach, or just red lenses back there? For the most part, it really doesn't matter because, most motorhome manufacturers that build coaches with AMBER turn signals, will install a TAIL LIGHT CONVERTER, in the wiring, just prior to the back side of the trailer plug. That tail light converter converts independent turn signals to work with brake light signals so that, there are only two pins in that trailer plug that handle both left turn and brake, and right-turn and brake.

Let us know what you have.
Scott
Old 02-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I am not sure we have heard from OP what type plug he has but if it is a 7 pin
be careful when using this diagram as there are various different ways the 7 pin connectors are configured. Here is a site that shows many of them.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click
RK,
The diagram I drew up, and the plug represented in it, isn't really supposed to be to any particular wiring diagram or layout. It's really just a general trailer connector. Yep, there are various ways that manufacturers set those plugs up for sure.
Scott
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #10

Very sorry for taking so long to get back on this. We have been traveling for a month, and it was extremely rare to have good enough internet to stay connected for more than a few minutes. Something I need to figure out how to deal with before we head out again.

Anyhow, the bulb is maybe a hallogen? I believe this is the bulb https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-13579198-Original-Equipment-Signal/dp/B010GJO59G and it only has one filament. I think ? it might be halogen.

Since I don't drive when it is dark, we just left the clear lens bulb hooked up to the tail lights, and used the red lens bulb for the turn and brake.

The motor home only has red lenses

So am I understanding, that I probably need a converter to get it working right?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Very sorry for taking so long to get back on this. We have been traveling for a month, and it was extremely rare to have good enough internet to stay connected for more than a few minutes. Something I need to figure out how to deal with before we head out again.

Anyhow, the bulb is maybe a hallogen? I believe this is the bulb https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-13579198-Original-Equipment-Signal/dp/B010GJO59G and it only has one filament. I think ? it might be halogen.

Since I don't drive when it is dark, we just left the clear lens bulb hooked up to the tail lights, and used the red lens bulb for the turn and brake.

The motor home only has red lenses

So am I understanding, that I probably need a converter to get it working right?
Hey Kent,
Glad you got back here. We'll get this thing figured out. No matter what that Amazon ad states, that bulb is NOT A STOP/TURN/TAIL bulb. That basically a side marker bulb with what's called a wedge base. Normally, any "dual purpose" bulb, as in a stop/tail/turn bulb, especially in the older days, will have TWO filaments. One filament is for tail lights. The other handles both stop and turn.

Unless some of these manufacturers have come up with a new form of electricity, a single filament bulb CANNOT perform all three functions, that I know of.

Now, you say your motorhome tail lights are all red, correct? Are your tail lights on your toad all red? You may have CLEAR lenses but, it's the bulb that is the color portion of the light. Not being there and seeing all this in person, it's kind of tough to help here, based on your descriptions of the scenarios. If you could, maybe post a photo of both the coach and the toads tail lights. Maybe even with the toads lights on, then keeping them ON and pushing on the brakes too, so we can see what's what back there. Then we can discuss maybe "tail light converters" and more.
Scott
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #12

Thanks for the reply Scott.

I Have attached pictures of the car and RV taillights. I am not really sure I understand what difference the RV taillights make. The wiring is just like any boat or car trailer. 4 wires, Ground, Left Turn, Right Turn, and a common Tail.

I agree that it is very odd, but the link to the bulb that I posted is what is actually in there, and hard to see in the pictures, but there is only one filament and two wires going to the bulb, but it does get brighter when you push the brakes with the taillights already on. Unfortunately the pictures don't show it really well.
Bulb with only Taillights on

Bulb with both Tail and Brake In person it is brighter than the previous.

Bulb Removed

Car tail. I am only dealing with the area not on the tailgate. The red area has one bulb pointing back and is turn and brake. The clear area with the yellow bulb is turn.

Motorhome.

Tags
light, lights