Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #1

Taking off the drive shaft

I've been looking all over the place to find this, but to no avail. It was listed over at good sams club but I had trouble login on to post my question.

I have an 08 jeep liberty 2x2 that I'm going to pull 4 down with the blue ox towing system. I'm not going to pay $1000 for the drive disconnect so I have to learn how to do it myself...er with your help!

The web is pretty sparce when it comes to diy and I know some of you have disconnected the drive shaft before.

Both ends of the drive shaft have 4 bolts, do I pull the whole thing out and throw it into the truck? I don't like leaving the front disengaged and tying it up.

Then put the car in neutral and click the key forward one position, check the lights, hookup and motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Josh
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
So long as something stays in the trans to keep the fluid in, yes you can do it that way.

Pick up a torque wrench so you can properly tighten the bolts later, and take some paint and mark the alignment where the parts come together. That way you reinstall it the same way every time.

If you go to a shop you can probably pay an hour labor and get the mechanic to show you step by step how to remove and reinstall along with exactly what tools would be best. I've shown a few people how to do things themselves before.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think after a time or two crawling under to unbolt the drive shaft and to bolt it back in place will have you convinced that the $1000.00 is not too much. Wait until it is 100 dF or raining to see how well this works. Have you also looked into the transmission lube pump from Remco?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #4

I have not looked into the lube pump, just another thing to fail. Yes I will get sick of crawling under the car, but I'm sure that $1000 will be spent on the rv shortly.
I did not know there was fluid in there. Huh! I'll go talk to my mech on the way home. Thanks all. Josh
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think if you visit RV Forum - Home you will find some folks who tow Liberties... Registration is free. Nice community

Many jeeps you can tow with the Transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park.. however I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS APPLIES TO THE LIBERTY

If it does not.. I'd go with the disconnect. Much safer
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The drive line connects to a spline shaft in the tail shaft housing of the transmission. There is a lip seal on the drive line where it slides into the tail shaft housing. If you pull the drive line completely out, there will be a BIG hole and nothing to seal the connection here. Some of the oil will run out.

The drive line does not have oil in it, but the transmission does.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
I haven't seen one myself but if it has four bolts at the front also that's usually a flange with a nut securing it to the output shaft. Considering the Daimler influence of modern Chryslers that's probably the case.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote