Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
Gas stations make me nervous as well. Although I watched an RV (no toad) pull into a vvery crowded tiny chevron around a couple vehicle and iss everything fill up and bolt. It was amazing manuvering!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extra lights are good, truck stop gas stations usually good, big enough for trucks, big enough you.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #17

I have another question ...next to the 4 pin pigtail for trailer lights there is another 6 pin connector. It is all in the same harness. The 6 pins are straight across. Any idea what this connector may be used for?
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #18

We are towing our Toyota Solara on our EZE-TOW for the first trip in a couple weeks, though we are new at this, we already have a ritual of sorts. Our first trip in the coach was a 150 mile round trip from home through Yucca Valley to Joshua Tree NP, and out the other side then home. It has grades, both up and down, back roads, highways and freeways, it gave us a good feel for the Winnie. Yesterday we did the same route with the toad. The trip went VERY well! First, we used used many tips we have read here on the forum*. This time we cranked the tire straps in nuetral, We stopped 3 times to check the straps, barely one clicks each, as opposed to 4 on the original test. We used the sock on the steering wheel tip so I could show the DW we Do NOT have a locking steering column. The Ford V-10 did fine, the Toyota wasn't too much of a burden, I did have the Transmission in "tow" mode, so it did act and sound differently. And I got stuck behind a school bus on one of the more severe upgrades, so, not wanting to be the slow truck trying to pass the slower truck, I stayed behind the bus and ended up doing 25 at the top of the grade. I will say the most disconcerting thing for me and my navigator is not seeing any hint of the car in the side view mirrors. A zoom on the rear camera would sure be nice!
I guess what I am suggesting, is if time permits, practice locally, with friends and maybe family close in case you need help. We have one more practice session, gas at Costco, early in the morning on Sunday when there is only one or 2 other folks, changing lanes in "city" traffic and maybe a grocery store or restaurant parking lot.

Rick

*the one tip I didn't use was to turn the house air on to cool the coach before we left, like the DW suggested more than once. It was around 100 when we left......
Need I say more?
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #19

I just want to run this by ....the coach is 22k lbs and the caliber plus the dolly is going to total 3800. The V10 can handle this ok. Am i correct on this?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good thread. I just towed my PT Cruiser on a Mastertow dolly for the first time last weekend. Very uneventful. The hardest part actually was installing the brake controller in the coach.

I had towed once before - moving across country - but it was nearly 20 years ago.

The brakes on the tow dolly were a great help. I barely noticed anything back there, and anticipated the stops as I usually do in the coach. Take your time. Being in a hurry and driving a coach/fiver/etc do not mix. Stop after 20 miles or so and re-tighten the straps. Having the rear camera on all the time to watch the toad is definitely a comfort.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #21

I have the rear camera but what i am lacking is brakes on the dolly. The more i think about it the more it makes me wish i had them.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
I wont have brakes ont he dolly also as it's a uhaul renatal.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest anytime towing a vehicle especially with a gas coach you should have some kind of braking system for the towed unit. You might want to look into a system down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette
I just want to run this by ....the coach is 22k lbs and the caliber plus the dolly is going to total 3800. The V10 can handle this ok. Am i correct on this?
My coach weighs in the same ( always wondered why the 30, 34 and 36 ft weigh the same? ) and my car and trailer are a little under 4,000, depending on gas in Toyota, it did fine, like I mentioned earlier. I used the trailer mode, which, as it was explained to me, will downshift one when you tap the brakes, and down another gear when you tap it again. No over heating problems in high 90's and low 100s. With one rather lengthy 6% grade going in to Yucca Valley on the 62. And I do suggest , if you can, a little practice in familiar locations.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #25

i was pretty nervous as well my 1st time with the dolly. it does work out well though. i have the acme dolly with the disc brakes towing a dodge avenger. i use magnetic lights but will be hooking up the toad lights soon. One thing i found usefull was to plan my gas stops in advance. i also used google maps street view/satellite view to take a good look at the stop before i even get there. i saw on one where there were numerous gouges in the asphalt indicating that a lot of tow hitches dug in so i went somewhere else.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
I have the rear camera but what i am lacking is brakes on the dolly. The more i think about it the more it makes me wish i had them.
Yeah, originally I wasn't going to get them either. That and a swivel base. But after reading up on dollies here and other RV forums, my mind was quickly changed. My only other experience towing was with a rental truck and dolly (uhaul) without brakes and swivel so I didn't think anything of it. My mind was changed and I am glad for it. It only took the one, relatively short, trip to show me my decision wasn't wrong. A few more bucks spent, but it'll be well worth it in the end. The brakes made stopping no different than without the toad, and the swivel made cornering much easier as turning didn't need to be as wide. I was quite surprised.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow520 View Post
..... and the swivel made cornering much easier as turning didn't need to be as wide.

I disagree with you....

Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #28

Well we made it to Emerald Isle without incident. The one and only problem i had was not fitting into a few gas stations. So far ...so .good