Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
lots of gold braided stuff on officers headgear., it resembles scrambled eggs.higher rank...equals more scrambled eggs, but not always senior in smarts.
I can say that as i have been both sides of that coin.

flt towing a EV, one would think the manufacturer would simply do a system update upon request to make it flat towable.
maybe shut down the systems that are not required ..seems simple enough
It probably is that simple, but in today's litigiousness society, no manufacturer would want to open themself up to a lawsuit if something went wrong.
Look at your fast food coffee cup "Caution, contents hot"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 07:00 AM   #100

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
It probably is that simple, but in today's litigiousness society, no manufacturer would want to open themself up to a lawsuit if something went wrong.
Look at your fast food coffee cup "Caution, contents hot"
I'm sorry but I don't agree. It is that easy. Look at JEEP. On my 2017 Grand Cherokee with Quad II it is that simple. Start the JEEP, put your foot on the brake, move the gear shift into N, with foot on brake depress small indent button just behind the shifter until red light comes on, stop engine and shift the trans into Park. Reverse the procedure to drive the car.

JEEP has the same liability as Tesla would have.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
I'm sorry but I don't agree. It is that easy. Look at JEEP. On my 2017 Grand Cherokee with Quad II it is that simple. Start the JEEP, put your foot on the brake, move the gear shift into N, with foot on brake depress small indent button just behind the shifter until red light comes on, stop engine and shift the trans into Park. Reverse the procedure to drive the car.

Jeep also has the “death wobble” issue with the 2016 and later MY GC since they switched to electronic power steering.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #102

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
coasting in normal use, the electricity generated is absorbed as heat or put back in the battery bank. to be used as you go back up a hill.

maybe towing there is an overabundance of generated electricity to be dealt with.

one would think a switching off a power would solve this and make it a freewheel

tesla and others simply do not see it as a money making issue so they are not looking at a solution.
the one that does will be the king for a bit with the rv crowd.
EV makes sense for lots of rvers i am sure for a towed.
just saying
and for some weird reason here in texas we cannot buy a tesla, we can only lease them??
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post

Totally different, Pretty sure Testa is direct drive, wheels always connected to electric motors to allow regen. braking. All components stay connected, all controlled by software and electronics.

Pretty sure your wheels are mechanically disconnected from engine and transmission at the transfer case.

But agree, could be done, but all you need is one very small glitch in the electronics to destroy your car and maybe your motorhome. As of now, don't think Tesla or any EV manufacturer would want to take the chance.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #104

Quote:
Totally different, Pretty sure Testa is direct drive, wheels always connected to electric motors to allow regen. braking. All components stay connected, all controlled by software and electronics.

Pretty sure your wheels are mechanically disconnected from engine and transmission at the transfer case.

But agree, could be done, but all you need is one very small glitch in the electronics to destroy your car and maybe your motorhome. As of now, don't think Tesla or any EV manufacturer would want to take the chance.
Is there a mechanical connection between the rotor and the stator?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Is there a mechanical connection between the rotor and the stator?
Hope not, pretty sure if rotor don't rotate, and stator does not remain stationary, you will not have a motor or a generator.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #106

Quote:
Hope not, pretty sure if rotor don't rotate, and stator does not remain stationary, you will not have a motor or a generator.
So “direct drive” may not be an accurate definition since an air gap is involved.

What happens when the rotor is allowed to rotate freely for several hours without electrical or magnetic interference?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #107

Quote:
So “direct drive” may not be an accurate definition since an air gap is involved.

What happens when the rotor is allowed to rotate freely for several hours without electrical or magnetic interference?
Believe "direct drive" to most people means motor/generator is attached to wheel, with no provision or ability to detach or uncouple the wheel from the motor/generator. Has nothing to do with the gap between the rotor and stator as this is how all electric motors are made.
As far as rotating freely, I would assume that the bearings in the motors and wheels are built well enough and lubricated well enough to withstand 500 hp under full throttle as a motor, and 60 kw as a generator when braking, will be able to freewheel without damage. If you are coming down out of the rockies, good change your motors will be freewheeling for long periods of time. But this is an assumption on my part, only the Tesla design engineers can answer that with certainty.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #108

http://greentransportation.info

An interesting read. http://greentransportation.info/ev-q...g/towable.html

Info on towing EV’s is about halfway down.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #109

Quote:
http://greentransportation.info

An interesting read. http://greentransportation.info/ev-q...g/towable.html

Info on towing EV’s is about halfway down.
This part is the most interesting.

"All electric car makers recommend towing on a trailer or flat bed. Possibly that is due to overabundance of caution a.k.a. fear of being sued"
Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #110

Quote:
This part is the most interesting.

"All electric car makers recommend towing on a trailer or flat bed. Possibly that is due to overabundance of caution a.k.a. fear of being sued"
Or, maybe because it will end badly.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #111

I think the closest you’ll get is towing a front wheel drive EV like a Nissan Leaf on a tow dolly. Lots of people have done that.

radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #112

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Jeep also has the “death wobble” issue with the 2016 and later MY GC since they switched to electronic power steering.
I believe there is an electronic fix for that. A wire harness and the insertion of a fuse.

It doesn't happen on 2017 and newer GC's.

jcussen, Yes the disconnect is in the transfer case so both front and rear wheels can rotate freely. But I'm pretty sure there is a way to do the same thing to the two direct drive units in programming. They just are not interested.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad