Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thinking about buying a tow dolly???

I was on ACME's site this morning price checking on an item and noticed they have a sale price, marked down from $2199 to $1799. Shipping is also reduced.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #2

Very good dolly and what I use until I get my new Jeep setup for four down. I'll be selling mine and that sell price doesn't help me get a fair price.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we've had our ACME for just about a year....towing a Honda Civic Hybrid...worked out the minor details (seems for us the rig and dolly have to be in line before we mount the car)..bolted two pieces of angle iron to the rear of the bed to better cradle the tires,,,,and no matter what...don't try to back up!!! That lesson cost us another set of tire straps...
Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
we've had our ACME for just about a year....towing a Honda Civic Hybrid...worked out the minor details (seems for us the rig and dolly have to be in line before we mount the car)..bolted two pieces of angle iron to the rear of the bed to better cradle the tires,,,,and no matter what...don't try to back up!!! That lesson cost us another set of tire straps...
I was overly concerned and had considered the angle iron also. First time I test pulled the car it moved around some, also was not in gear, by choice.

I did not like the straps provided with the dolly, with all the sliding cross pieces and all, so I ordered these as a back-up pair.
Tow Dolly Basket Straps - Wheel Net Car Tire Tie Down Basket Straps

WOW, what a difference, easy to put on and adjust, no slider "D" ring. I also bought an 18" hitch ball wrench at Wal-Mart to tighten it down. I left the car in gear (6 speed manual in first gear) car did not move in 700 miles, included some really tight turns. Joked on another thread that one more click on the ratchets would have lifted the Kia's rear wheels.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Very good dolly and what I use until I get my new Jeep setup for four down. I'll be selling mine and that sell price doesn't help me get a fair price.
There were three on Craig's list here in South Florida this summer, all at the same time. One in Daytona area, one in Miami area, and one in Cape Coral.

I bought the one in Cape Coral for $1100, it was a new 2012, guy never used it.
The one in Daytona went for $1100 it was 2 years old, friend bought it.

Not sure about the other he was asking $1400 but had 2x on the winches, straps, and 2 spares, said he used it once.

All three had brakes.

When I was looking seemed all brands of used dollies were a bargain.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Any interest in a slightly used KarKattySS by Demco? surge brakes, led lights, brand new spare, chrome wheels. I have never seen my Cadillac moving around on it. not yet anyways
Yes spendy it will last you years
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow dolly