Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thinking of a 2015 Ford Focus as a toad

I't time for a toad and researching a 2015 Ford Focus hatchback. Anyone use one of these as a toad? Was concerned about all the transmission problems Ford has with the 2012,13,14 models and haven't seen anything bad about the newer 15s. Was wondering if it's been fixed or it just too soon to tell on the 15s. Any comments would be welcome.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
You may find better information about the Focus and Fiesta clutch/transmission problems on a Ford enthusiast site. focusfanatics.com has a lot of stuff. The problems with failed clutches and control modules isn't related to 4 down towing. They are having those problems just with normal driving. It is a problem with leaking input shaft seals plus control module software and hardware failures.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

We have been towing a 2012 Focus for 3 years. The transmission has had some minor issues that Ford fixed at no charge. The last fix was a new clutch for the automatic transmission that has solved the problem completely. It's been a great little tow car.
hikndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #4

we have 4300 miles on our and it has been towed about 1500 of them. so far its been good. just make sure you follow the owners manual. gas mileage has been really good, and the ride is comfy.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

we tow a certified used 2014 Fiesta with 30k existing miles, sister to the Focus, I purchased last year -
and now 32,000 of towing, just put it in neutral and go - no issues whatsoever

about a month after purchase, Ford had a paper out to dealers that explained a need for a update to the computer to solve some 'hesitation' issues, which we had done. I know that these 6 speed 'automatic' transmissions, like on mine, have had some issues with the 'grinding sounds' or 'hesitation', but the dealer said that they are actually designed to perform this way(?), and it does not impact the transmission or it's performance. I guess I've proved them right - 10k driving, 32k towing - and no issues.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well after test driving this car a few times. I felt the transmission do what it does and even though the salesman said it was normal, it didn't feel normal to me plus the Idle seemed rough. Any way they also had a 2014 CRV EX L w/nav come in as a trade, test drove it and bought it. Side by side there is no comparison and as a daily driver so much more room. Only $1000 more and I will feel more comfortable with it as a toad and for daily use. With so many others using the CRV guess I can't go wrong. I feel great about getting the Honda way better option.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toad