Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thoughts Please on mud flap

Getting ready to get our toad baseplate installed.

My question: "Leave the coach's rear stone/mud flap on or remove it ?"

The coach does have smaller mud flaps at each rear wheel well.

I read on iRV2 removing the mud flap reduces/prevents stone chips on the toad vehicle versus leaving the stone catcher on the coach.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Angie & Glenn, and the boss: Haddington the Airedale
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA, NKK - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:53 AM   #2

Thoughts Please...

I also have both on th RV. When I replaced the Saturn witha Ford Edge, I bought a full front cover for the Edge. Used it 3-4 times, not since. Front of Edge is clear of paint chips from being towed. I would leave both on.

Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:38 AM   #3
The problem with the full width flap is the tendency of it to kick rocks up onto the towed if going over gravel roads. That's why you'll hear about removing it if heading up to Alaska. If staying on paved roads I wouldn't worry about it, and the speeds entering into a campground with a gravel road aren't fast enough to kick up anything.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:10 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I was a fulltimer for 4 years and had zero stone damage on my toad from the full width flap.

The secret is to make sure it's high enough to never contact the road. Road contact is what kicks up the stones.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I would think it would depend on the roads you intend to drive. I have left mine on and have had no issues.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
My class A DP came from the factory with a full width rear mud flap. I've been pulling the same toad behind it for 10 yrs, without any added rock guard and it has no front end dings or chips. I haven't been to Ak (in my RV) but all 3 of my part time home bases are on rural gravel roads. So it may also depend on how your full width flap is mounted, not all of them cause gravel damage to the toad.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Of three coaches owned two had full width flaps at the rear. One did not, but was a long overhang aft of the rear tires and had flaps at the tires. No problem with rock chipping with any of the three coaches.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Of three coaches owned two had full width flaps at the rear. One did not, but was a long overhang aft of the rear tires and had flaps at the tires. No problem with rock chipping with any of the three coaches.
I took my full width flap off and its hanging on the shop wall where it belongs. It won't do damage to my PU toad hanging on the wall. A good set of mud flaps that covers both sets of rear tires is all you need. They don't kick up rocks with elevation changes.
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glenn, you're gonna hear the same old arguments here! Some say never use a rear flap, others swear by them!

I have a solid rubber (UltraGuard) rear flap positioned about 6" off the ground, and a Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. I feel this is the best possible protection I can have! I have never had a chip on the toad!

Works for me!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
The rear of mine has one of those "grass skirt" things. I don't think it would kick up stuff as much as a solid rear mud-flap on the back bumper. Would it?
2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3858
1990 Fleetwood Bounder 31K
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the secret: It makes sense that if your flap ever touches the road, it IS going to pick up rocks, period. If it does not EVER touch the road, it won't pickup rocks, period. It Only takes ONE time for the flap to hit the road and do all the damage on a trip, either on a 100 miles or 1000 miles trip.

I have mind 5" from the road and a previous poster said 6" clearance. I figure the more protection you have between your coach wheels and toad the better, again that only makes sense. To me, double protection is better than single protection, as long it NEVER touches the road, period.

Negative: The only negative part to this is when it is raining, the flap will fan the road and "may" pickup mist and spray it to the rear and cover your toad. Again, just having the air flow around the coach's rear cap will spray the mist to cover your toad. Either way your toad will get dirty when it is raining............either way it is all the same.
2003 Pace Arrow 34W, F-53 V-10 22,000#, 5-Star, Avg 7.7 MPG, ScanGauge II
WiFiRanger Elite Pack, WeBoost 4G-X, Voltage Booster,.Progressive Industries EMS
Water Softener, Safe-T-Plus, Koni, Centramatic Balancers, CHF, Rear Trac Bar, EEZ TPMS
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our coach the rear mud flap hung too low. This caused damage to our toad. I cut the flap so it's about 6" above the ground. No more damage. I'm thinking of cutting another couple of inches off or removing it entirely.

I don't think anybody has been able to definitely state whether the rear mud flap helps or hinders (provided it's hung high enough above the ground). Personally, I think the rear mud flap is an appearance thing only.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I took mine off after a year of use....why not try it both ways. Not sure how to quantify it, but my toad seems a little cleaner without it.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
We had noticed a number of small rocks collecting in the recessed area where the windshield wipers retract. Our full width mud flap was as high as it could go so I took it off to see if that made any difference. We've not had anymore rocks in that area since then, even after hundreds of miles of gravel road driving on our northern trip last summer through Alaska, Yukon and the Northwest Territories. It will sit in my garage until I sell the coach.

Sorry Newmar, no advertising.

Retired and livin' the RV dream!
2005 Newmar 43 ft. MADP, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2008 Honda CR-V toad
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote