Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Larry, I test drove a 29VE like you have and had it in tow/haul for a while during the test drive, obviously without actually towing anything. Give it try (without the toad), you'll immediately notice the difference in the way the transmission shifts both accelerating and decelerating. I expect doing that will answer many of your questions.
(think of it as QA testing )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I love the Tow/Haul mode. I keep it on all the time, towing or not. Given the mountains around us, we're always going up and down. The Tow/Haul is the difference between white-knuckle descents and calm driving. Going up hills, it seems to stay in the lower gears just a bit longer, which I appreciate.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Larry, You've gotten good advice, I think Charlie is spot on about the TH mode issues. I tow a a heavy 5th with a diesel RAM 3500. I switch TH on/off frequently while driving as the needs changes. I'll run the cruise on when on the level roads but as soon as get into the climbs (live in Santa Fe and drive the rockies), I'll switch the TH on. With the diesel I use the exhaust brake to do much of my slowing down and will down shift to keep the speed down on the downhills coming off a mountain pass. I'll frequently drop 5,000 ft. and only touch the service brakes a couple times all the way down. Always start out slow on the top of a downhill, you can allow speed to grow if deisred, but burning it off can be a white hand experience.

The idea to train with cones in a parking lots is right-on.

A couple of things not mentioned so far is that I always try to keep a mental note of the traffic behind me and on my sides. Right now I don't have a rear view camera, coming this spring, so I want to know what is back there. A semi can be totally hidden behind me, not to mentioned little cars. They'll pop out of the hole without warning, just as you are preparing for a lane change.

If you are doing a left turn in a multi-lane turn, always use the outside most lane to give yourself a longer turning radius. May need to modify if this would require fast lane changes for another turn. I try to maintain more space between me the the vehicle in front for increased braking times. However, in a busy are folks will cut in front of you all the time. Perhaps giving you only a car length or so of space- yikes.

I like to take frequent rest breaks to stay alert.

Be safe and have fun in your adventures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks Fred, you have provided some really good advice. It looks like most of the driving tips about pulling a toad are about the same as just driving the coach, except for needing to make even wider turns with the toad.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
DW and I drive a 35' motorhome with a toad on a dolly behind. All together we're 54' long. There's not much difference with or without the toad while going down the open road. But do keep in mind how much vehicle you've got behind you when pulling out into traffic, and be sure to allow enough time to clear the lane before oncoming traffic arrives.

Also be sure you'll fit before pulling into a gas station, and BE SURE YOU HAVE A WAY OUT before you pull in.

I do keep an eye on the toad, via the rear camera, when making tight maneuvers around a parking lot, for instance.

I use tow/haul when I'm on surface streets in stop and go traffic. (We're just outside of Boston and traffic is a never ending situation here). The rig is much more responsive and stops much shorter with tow/haul engaged. I also use it in heavy rush hour traffic on the freeway. And, of course, when descending steep grades.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Why, yes I am. I actually am still twidling bits. But for only 10 more binary weeks. After that I will be RETIRED!!!!!!!!!
Congrats! I retired from the same profession 00000111 months ago.
greg246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad