Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Question Tips and techniques for driving while pulling a toad?

I am a new inexperienced motorhome driver. I have driven my new Winnebago Sunstar 29VE a total of 2000 miles over 2 trips. I pretty much drive it like a car with a few exceptions when it comes to turning, etc. I am aware that I probably should be downshifting at certain times and possible using the tow/haul mode, but I need some guidance about when and how to do it. I purchased a tow dolly and have only pulled it once with my pickup for practice and I have never had it hooked to the MH. Is there a source for learning how to properly drive with a toad? Like maybe a "Driving a Motorhome Pulling a Toad for Dummies" book. I have found several MH driving tips videos on youtube that have been very helpful, but none that explain downshifting and tow/haul mode. I have tried to find sources but have had limited success. Also, some tips from the experts here on iRV2 would be great as well.

Thanks,

Larry
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #2

Hi, Larry, I can't give much advise in regards to your question. My only experience is flat towing a Suzuki with a class c. It followed me were ever I went with ease. However, I am interested in your likes and dislikes regarding your 29ve. I've been interested in one for awhile. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sue
Corgyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I guess they don't call it tow/haul mode for nothin'...

I live in the flatlands of Florida, where the biggest 'hill' is a bridge that's built high enough for a sailboat to go under it. Here, using tow/haul may or may not be necessary.
If I lived anywhere where the hills were bigger (note that I said 'hills' not 'mountains') I would most likely turn it on.
It can't be WRONG to use it, and you may find it helps with starting and stopping. Try it both ways and see which one suits you the best.
For SURE use it if you get into mountains.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We do two things when towing our toad (flat tow 4 wheels down)
1. Use the rear view camera to check on it
2 Watch very carefully in rear view mirrors when making turns to watch the tow. They will cut closer to the turn than your RV will. So be particularly careful when pulling into and out of gas stations.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

I drive by making wide turns almost all the time unless there are restriction on how wide I can turn. Toad follows without problems. Making turns like a car will put sides of motorhome very close to obstruction on inside of turn.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
So, how does the tow/haul mode thing work? Does it change how the transmission shifts? Does it stay in lower gears longer? Should I only use it in certain situations, or all the time when towing? What about downshifting to help slow down rather than braking? I am needy! very needy indeed! Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #7

I am not a class C but my overall length is 55', 5th wheel and truck hooked together. So, I do have to take corners wide. First; find an empty parking lot, then with some plastic cones set up like a 4-way interchange drive through this pattern. When you do swing as wide as possible without entering the oncoming traffic lanes, as you turn make sure that the tow vehicle will not run over the cones. This is how I was taught to pull a 5er with a pick-up truck. This training method even works for backing a trailer up.

Now I believe you have a gas engine vehicle correct? If you have a gas engine let the computer in the truck handle the up/down shifts as required. Just put the camper in tow/haul mode and the shift points are changed by the ECM (engine computer). The shift points are changed to allow improve acceleration from a stop with a load and improved towing performance for your vehicle with a load. When I tow with my truck the tow/haul mode is engaged from the start when the drive gear is engaged. I have 103K on the automatic transmission towing a heavy 5th wheel camper.
Good Luck
Old 01-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
So, how does the tow/haul mode thing work? Does it change how the transmission shifts? Does it stay in lower gears longer? Should I only use it in certain situations, or all the time when towing? What about downshifting to help slow down rather than braking? I am needy! very needy indeed! Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes, keeping it in lower gears longer gives you the extra torque needed to pull various grades. Downfall is it will hurt your gas mileage. For that reason I will not turn it own in my pickup, pulling a heavy load, unless I'm pulling a grade or feel the extra power is needed. Open flat highway it's usually off unless I have an extremely heavy load, such as a full load of cows. Also on my truck by having it on, the engine brake kicks in to help slow down without using the brakes, going down hills.

Hope that helps, it's very useful, but cost you to use it in gas expenses.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Yes, keeping it in lower gears longer gives you the extra torque needed to pull various grades. Downfall is it will hurt your gas mileage. For that reason I will not turn it own in my pickup, pulling a heavy load, unless I'm pulling a grade or feel the extra power is needed. Open flat highway it's usually off unless I have an extremely heavy load, such as a full load of cows. Also on my truck by having it on, the engine brake kicks in to help slow down without using the brakes, going down hills.

Hope that helps, it's very useful, but cost you to use it in gas expenses.
So, let's say I am driving down the road with tow/haul off and I encounter a hill that makes the engine start to struggle. Is it ok to turn it on at that point, and then turn it back off when the road flattens out? What about a downhill grade as well? Should I engage tow/haul to help with braking, then turn it off when the road flattens again?

I guess my question is, does it hurt anything to turn it on and off while in motion?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

You can turn th on and off at your pleasure. My plan is to start engine turn on th. I like the way it downshifts when braking, and I don't think it affects mileage much if any. I also like it in connection with cruise control. They may actually be separate but as I have th on all the time I don't know for sure. With both on when going down a hill it will downshift if your speed increases past 5 ( or so ) mph over the cruise setting. TH is a really nice feature. I wish there was a setting that made th the default, towing or not.

As my salesman told me, make WIDE right turns and don't backup. Other than that just point it down the road and drive.

P.s. Are you an old bit twidler?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tow-Haul Mode

During deceleration, the torque converter clutch remains applied at closed throttle (foot off or eased up on the peddle) to much lower vehicle speeds, effectively improving the effect of engine braking.

Also during acceleration, the torque converter clutch is applied in 2nd gear and remains applied in 3rd, 4th and 5th. This improves drive train efficiency and significantly lowers transmission fluid temperatures in the sump when towing heavy loads.

In Normal mode (Tow/Haul not engaged) the torque converter clutch generally applies only in higher ranges and is dependent on throttle position.

Normally you would tow with Tow-Haul mode off. Deploy it when you want extra control on hills and mountains or in traffic with frequent speed changes (especially useful here).

With my Class C, I used Tow/Haul heavily when traveling on freeways in large cities where it is a series of start, stop, go. It helped to slow me more efficiently and a lot quicker while saving my brakes. With my Class A DP I use my engine brake in these situations.

The transmissions with Tow/Haul that I have used will not shift into sixth gear in Tow/Haul mode on but will in Normal mode (that may be different on your rig).

Another useful skill is to engage Tow/Haul before you need it, meaning before your speed decreases just as you are starting an uphill climb at the bottom of a valley or before speed increases before the descent of a mountain pass.

If the transmission (in Tow/Haul) is used to control speeds on a long up or downhill grades you need to monitor transmission temperatures as they will rise.

I hope this made sense?
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

I delivery these new units from the factories, and have my personal toad behind me... I don't downshift or use the tow/haul mode. The unit is designed to downshift on it's own when needed, and tow/haul mode is mostly for those want the transmission to downshift more quickly downhill, or less quickly uphill, such as when pulling a trailer.

for the toad, if your steering wheel is not locked, then the vehicle should 'follow' you and the path of your coach - toads are normally also less wide than the normal 8'+ width of the coach. Wide sweeping turns are best, and let your 'hips'(your rear wheels of the coach) pass the object, curb, stop sign, etc before you turn.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
P.s. Are you an old bit twidler?
Why, yes I am. I actually am still twidling bits. But for only 10 more binary weeks. After that I will be RETIRED!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Charile,
Thank you for such a good explanation of what the tow/haul mode does. I am now excited to try it out! It sounds to me like it might be a good idea to turn it on when driving in city traffic even when not towing.

Tags
toad