Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

Tips For Towing the Toad ,,,,,

We are getting ready to set up our first toad. I have picked out the tow bar, Aux braking system, light system and the break away system. I have towed a 3,750 lbs pop up with a Chevrolet Suburban for 15 years. But towing a 4,000 lbs Cherokee behind a 31ft motorhome is different. The weights are about comparable, but the longer wheelbase, and the 8 ft overhang has to add a curve or two.

So, other than not getting into a situation where you have to unhitch and backup, what would you say are the most important things to remember when towing a car? Other than to obvious, checking the rear camera to make sure it's still back there.

What's most the important thing to you?

Thanks in advance!!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Making sure you don't make turns that are too tight. Over time, you can weaken your tow bar and make it snap.

And then the next most important thing is to make sure you NEVER see your toad headlights in your side view mirror while doing 65 MPH on I-95 South (I speak from experience...).
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Driving for 12 hours, then in the dark, disconnecting the Jeep in a hurry and forgetting to put the emergency brake on first! Luckily, it was fairly level and no harm came because of my "Doh!" moment. . . . . But I looked silly jumping into the Jeep and putting the brakes on while it was slowly rolling away. Could have been much worse.

I also carry an electronic contact spray cleaner to make sure the electrical plugs are shiny clean and make good contact. I learned this the hard way, too. I think using a checklist has saved me more problems with the moho and Jeep than anything else, though.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

Make yourself a check list. Each system is a little different so use your particular manufactures User Manual for your particular system.

Here are a couple of items to get you started, you will undoubtedly add to this list as you go. Follow your check list each time you hook up.

Go through the start / procedure as per your toad owners manual.

1/. Make sure the transmission is in Neutral and the Parking Brake disengaged. Forgetting either of these is expensive.

2/. Double check your hook up and don't allow your well meaning fellow RVers to engage you in conversation while you are hooking up. This is another thing that can have grave consequences.

3/. Have your partner check all lights before pulling away. I always have DW walk along for a few feet as we pull out to observe the hitch mechanism for anything unusual. Like the wheels skidding because the toad is in Park.

4/. Always scout out parking lots, fuel stations etc before you enter for an escape route. You cannot back up without unhooking.

5/. If you need to unhook when the toad is not in a straight line behind, (because there is no escape route) you will find one or both of the pins will not release because they are under tension. Not to worry, simply start the toad, apply the Park Brake, turn the steering to the left and right Full Stop each way. Try the pins again. They should be free. If not, try again.

There's a few,
Happy Trails
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #5

I am just starting out myself, but In our two trips I had my 11 year old hook the Jeep up while I put the Patriot supplemental brake in place. Then I do a quality check on his work. He has been perfect so far. I like two sets of eyes on the problem.
Jmills1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #6

Here is a piece of literature that will be very helpful also.

http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/2013DinghyGuide.pdf
Old 02-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
One other thing is to ensure that your front wheels turn freely on the toad after hooking up. Usually need key in certain position for that to happen. If toad wheels locked may and did for me, produce a 'noticable' drag in motor home.

Also, disconnecting appropriate fuse if appropriate can keep a battery from running down. Believe that blue ox and others sell a 'kit' that will add a charge line to toad battery from the motor home.

ENJOY.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

Just take your time, don't hurry, be deliberate, double check. And check everything each time you stop. I am going to get a TPMS for the moho and toad.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:15 AM   #9

I already have the TST TPMS system for the motorhome. I just need to pick up the extra sensors for the toad.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I will be a basket case, the first time I pull the Cherokee.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on the e-brakes. Drug my 00 Blazer about 300 miles before it dawned on me, and by then, there's no sense stopping to check. Didn't feel a thing except personal shame, but hated myself as I rebuilt the rear brakes.

I leave the key in the ignition, have to remove a fuse to keep the battery from wearing down, and I take the remote out, using the remote to lock the door. Make sure the toad's ac unit is powered to the off/closed position so you don't fill the toad with dust and exhaust fumes.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Ditto on the e-brakes. Drug my 00 Blazer about 300 miles before it dawned on me, and by then, there's no sense stopping to check. Didn't feel a thing except personal shame, but hated myself as I rebuilt the rear brakes.

Interesting!
I would have noticed the drag and slump in performance, and wonder why there was not a brake fire. The E-brake was only on a little, me thinks. Just wondering.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, it was set at Hercules, but ditto on the brake fire. Slump in performance -- naw -- my 350 Cat don't care, just feed it some more dinosaures. I imagine my MPG went from nothing to nothing, from I don't care to I don't wanna know.
I said it in another post, the most important thing to do is Read the Owners Manual to see what it says. My manual said to put the transfer case in neutral and the TRANNY IN PARK OR IN GEAR FOR A MANUAL. I thought "Huh?" and images of tranny parts and tranny blood all over the highway raced thru my beer-soaked mind. But this keeps the fluid friction of the rotating output shaft on the transfer case from transfering thru and rotating the tranny.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We (now) always do a walk around. I pull forward slowly and my wife walks around the car and makes sure all four wheels are turning.

You can pull a toad while the wheels are locked up and you won't notice it at slow speeds. I know.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #14

I just follow my memorized process, and check it twice.
When my BrakeBuddy engages, I can feel it. Betting I could feel a E-brake tug too; just the weirdness of being not as powerful would alert me right off.
A guy left his manual trans toad in gear. Didn't notice the drag. Motor locked up and stopped the whole show. Makes ya wonder
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, toad, tow, towing