Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #1

Tire Load & Inflation Table

I just purchased a set of Power King Towmax ST225/75R15 load range E tires for a car/equipment hauling trailer. The tire shop recommended 65 psi when empty and 80 psi when loaded 8,000lbs - 10,000 lbs. The thing only weighs 2,100 lbs empty and bounces all over the road at 65 psi. Does anyone have (or can anyone point me to) a load and inflation table for this type of tire. I searched the company site and tried several variations of a Google search without any results.

Thanks in advance, Hikerdogs
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #2

The recommendations are on the side walls. I'd surely stay with those.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworootless View Post
The recommendations are on the side walls. I'd surely stay with those.
All the tires I have ever seen only give a Max pressure.

My guess is a 2k trailer with no load is going to bounce around a good bit even at much lower tire pressure.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
All the tires I have ever seen only give a Max pressure.

My guess is a 2k trailer with no load is going to bounce around a good bit even at much lower tire pressure.
That's very true. The tires are rated for a maximum load of 2,860 lbs per tire (total load of 11,440 lbs) @80 psi. When hauling a heavy load the trailer performs well and is quite stable. However when it's empty it's like having a basketball follow you down the road.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Part of the bouncing is also from the springs which are designed for that maximum weight so there is only so much you can do.
If it were me I would try 50 psi empty but I would also keep an eye on the tire temperature to make sure they don't run hot at that pressure.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had similar experience with a small utility trailer (2000lb.max), bounces all over the place on slightly rough roads. Short of dragging a portable compresser around to fill the 4 tires you have 2 options. Watch your rearview mirror constantly for the latest trailer bounce or turn up the radio and ignore all that noise back there.

Seriously, E-rated tires, even at 40-50 lbs. combined with heavy weight springs will never follow smoothly. Good luck and in another year from now you won't even notice all that racket back there.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

I pulled a small trailer across the country and experience two blow outs from under inflated tires. I would adhere to the recommended tire pressure.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

I got a pleasent surprise yesterday morning when I checked my e mail. After trying to contact TBS Brands (makers of Power King tires) via e mail and getting messages that my attempts had failed I gave up on their website. Apparently the failure messages were in error because I got a response complete with a load and inflation table.

According to the table the tires can be inflated to a minimum of 25 psi and still carry 1,430 lbs per tire. While I would never go that low I did set the pressure to 50 psi (2150 lbs per tire). The trailer followed like a dream for over 100 miles without any bouncing problems. It's nice to know the manufacturer recommends the pressures to be adjusted for the load rather than insisting on the max pressure all the time.