Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherder View Post
After setting up the Even-Brake, you push the TEST button which depresses the brake pedal three times to bleed the vacuum assist. If the test goes well, it shows a green light. The manual does state that some vehicles may require more than three times to totally bleed the vacuum assist. Next time I will push the TEST button a second time to insure the system is bled.
I made the mistake of restarting my engine on my prior Toad after completing the test sequence. This was a mistake. It restored the vacuum assist on the car, and guess what. First time the Even Brake actuated, the car brakes locked up.

Be sure to use the 'Test' function on the Even Brake to bleed off the vacuum assit, and do not re-start the car. If you do, repeat the 'Test' function on the Even Brake.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #16

Try driving it at a safe place and see of u can get the breaks to lock. That may help determine if it is the toad, mh, or aux system.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the test function - I just reach down and push on the brake pedal a few times - does the same thing and I don't have to wait for the air pressure to build back up each time. I do push test once to make sure the compressor comes back up at the usual rate.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #18

I meant drive the toad by itself in my previous post
Old 09-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I made the mistake of restarting my engine on my prior Toad after completing the test sequence. This was a mistake. It restored the vacuum assist on the car, and guess what. First time the Even Brake actuated, the car brakes locked up.

Be sure to use the 'Test' function on the Even Brake to bleed off the vacuum assit, and do not re-start the car. If you do, repeat the 'Test' function on the Even Brake.
Also had a brake lock up problem two different occasions, now understand what to do as both times we had run the toad after the . Thanks Pusherman
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gain set too high, One of the problems with the "Brake systems in a box" like the even brake and brake buddy is they have NO communaction with the motor home (Though they might talk to YOU via a remote monitor they do not chat with the motor home) Thus when you applied the brakes going down hill the accelerometer sensed the stop, but since you were going down hill it NEVER sensed the brakes being released till you got to the bottom. Thus it 1: Over applied the brakes and 2: Failed to release.. In short, it worked exctly as designed.

ABS only works when the engine is on It's hooked to the IGNITION system not acc because the assumpiton is when in ACC you are not moving and abs is not needed when not moving.

The tire may have been able to be saved by a process called "Truing" by the way.. This is kind of like what they do when they turn your brake rotors.. only on the tred of the tire, and a somewhat different machine. You would have lost a bit of tred life, but you may well gain it back due to a smoother running tire.

Lastly.. Yes, that brake grabbed, but it was likely running hot cause the brake system sensed "Braking" when you started down hill. this can be adjusted out to some extent (Gain and senistivity controls) but the only real fix is a true remote operated brake system like the US gear Unified Brake Decelerator or at least the new Invis-i-brake system, Both of these will not activate just because you are going down hill they only come on when the brake pedal is pressed (Read that brake lights come on)

I highly recommend the US-Gear system and condemn the kind of system (not the specific make but the entire concept) you are using.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both my incidents were at the first stop sign after an overnight stop, not on a down grade. Forgetting to bled off the vacuum assist seems to fit my problem exactly. Both my lock ups were for short distances at slow speeds. I have since set sentisivity to low and am very happy with the system. I am sure there are always better systems available with new technology but for now , I will continue to use the Even brake as it is much better than those using no auxiliary brake system at all.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #22

After reading all of your replies and thinking back to my toad preparation, I believe that the brake vacuum system was not bled. Since I was new to towing, I was paranoid about making sure that I had the Honda in the proper towing condition to prevent damage to the transmission, and I think I restarted the car to double check after setting up the brake controller. The lock-up occurred on my first braking, which would be consistent with the brake vacuum system not being bled. I have towed twice since without any issue.

Thanks to all of you for helping me sort this out.

Gary