Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #1

Tire Lock Up Incident

I am new to four down towing. I have a 2011 Honda CR-V FWD equipped with the Even-Brake system and Roadmaster Sterling AT tow bar and base plate.

Last week, after driving about 5 level miles with little or no braking, I started down a small grade at about 45-50 mph, and gently stepped on the brakes to bleed off a little speed. I felt a tug, heard tire screeching, and saw tire smoke coming from the Honda. After stopping and pulling over to the side of the road, I determined that the Honda's right front tire had locked up (it left a skid mark on the pavement about 100 feet long). An inspection of the Even-Brake did not show any problem (was sitting in the proper position on the floor, green light on, etc.).

I continued on and had no further problem for the next 300 miles. I had to replace the tire on the Honda due to the flat spot.

Has anyone run into any experience like that?

Does anyone have any theories as to the cause of the lock-up?

Shouldn't the Honda's anti-lock brake system prevented that? Or does the anti-lock brake system not work in the Accessory I position?

Not knowing what caused the lock-up, I am scared to death it will happen again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello gherder and
I would think the Honda's anti lock brakes would work in accy position but not sure. That may be a question better answered by calling American Honda direct. Their phone # is in your owners manual. I worked for Honda many years as a service manager but never had a question like that, and I do not think the answer will be in the service and repair manual.
Hopefully someone else will come along and give some additional info on the subject.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Only one tire locked up? That does not sound like an aux brake system problem.

The ABS is normally inoperative when the car isn't running - the ABS electronic module usually has no power in that case.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #4

I know nothing about the Even-brake system.
Question - Do you bleed the vacuum assist breaking system by depressing the brake pedal several times after turning off the engine? If not, that may be the cause.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

Honda ABS does not work in the ACC position. The vehicle key must be in the ON position for the ABS to work. Like previously stated, you MUST bleed the brake booster vacuum to prevent wheel lockup when using most auxilliary braking systems on a disc brake equipped vehicle.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
I know nothing about the Even-brake system.
Question - Do you bleed the vacuum assist breaking system by depressing the brake pedal several times after turning off the engine? If not, that may be the cause.
After setting up the Even-Brake, you push the TEST button which depresses the brake pedal three times to bleed the vacuum assist. If the test goes well, it shows a green light. The manual does state that some vehicles may require more than three times to totally bleed the vacuum assist. Next time I will push the TEST button a second time to insure the system is bled.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Hello gherder and
I would think the Honda's anti lock brakes would work in accy position but not sure. That may be a question better answered by calling American Honda direct. Their phone # is in your owners manual. I worked for Honda many years as a service manager but never had a question like that, and I do not think the answer will be in the service and repair manual.
Hopefully someone else will come along and give some additional info on the subject.
Thanks, I will call American Honda on Monday. Like you, I doubt the local dealer service knows the answer.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know about Even Brake---but the unit (listed in my sig) I use has setting regarding how much MH braking pressure will activate the brake and how much brake will be applied by the unit----my settings are set demanding more pressure from theMH and applying less pressure on the brake from the unit. If these are not "dialed" in based on your experince then you can get lock up. I set mine that way because I try to drive using as little toad brake as possible---but to have it work in a panic stop (had one it does) and down steeper grades. If you have these adjustment you might try different settings. Most do I'm sure.

Also I had my unit "jump" off the floor once on a 7% grade---heck of screech---(long story)--still not quite sure how that happened. ---something to look at as a cause.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I do not know about Even Brake---but the unit (listed in my sig) I use has setting regarding how much MH braking pressure will activate the brake and how much brake will be applied by the unit----my settings are set demanding more pressure from theMH and applying less pressure on the brake from the unit. If these are not "dialed" in based on your experince then you can get lock up. I set mine that way because I try to drive using as little toad brake as possible---but to have it work in a panic stop (had one it does) and down steeper grades. If you have these adjustment you might try different settings. Most do I'm sure.

Also I had my unit "jump" off the floor once on a 7% grade---heck of screech---(long story)--still not quite sure how that happened. ---something to look at as a cause.
The Even-Brake does has variable settings for the brake force (Lo-Med-Hi) and the sensitivity (Lo-Med-Hi). Both were set at the factory setting (Med). After the incident, I set both the force and sensitivity to Lo.

I wonder whether my brake unit jumped up also, although it was in the proper position when I got everything stopped. Maybe, once the brake pressure was off, it could have settled down into the proper position on its own. The design of the Honda's seat does not provide great contact area between the brake unit and the seat. I think I might try to make up something that will insure that the brake unit is ABSOLUTELY not able to rise up.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherder View Post
The Even-Brake does has variable settings for the brake force (Lo-Med-Hi) and the sensitivity (Lo-Med-Hi). Both were set at the factory setting (Med). After the incident, I set both the force and sensitivity to Lo.

I wonder whether my brake unit jumped up also, although it was in the proper position when I got everything stopped. Maybe, once the brake pressure was off, it could have settled down into the proper position on its own. The design of the Honda's seat does not provide great contact area between the brake unit and the seat. I think I might try to make up something that will insure that the brake unit is ABSOLUTELY not able to rise up.

Thanks for the input.

I have a Break Buddy and have had several problems with the emergency break-away plug causing the breaks to come on. I have to spray WD-40 in the plug from time to time.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I find it odd that everyone thinks it has something to do with the SBS. Only ONE wheel locked up, and as the OP says it locked up for more than 100 feet. If the SBS were at fault, wouldn't all the wheels, or both front have locked? I would be looking at the right front wheel and brake. I would immediatley take it to the dealer and have the whole braking system checked out. Wouldn't want this happening while I was driving it with the kids on board.

Dave
Old 08-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
gherder My Brake Buddy will do the same as yours if the test button is not pressed. It does 5 pushes to get the power brake pressure out of the system. This lets you also check your brake lights,they need to go off when the brake releases. I had to make a larger plate to hold the brake unit in front of the seat as it would move out of place when the first tests where done.My tow is a Jeep GC. I had it lock one time when I started the car at the half way part of a trip. I did not use the test button at that time,it had put pressure back in the system.First push of the brakes in the motor home when under way slid the wheels on the Jeep.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealmccoy View Post
I find it odd that everyone thinks it has something to do with the SBS. Only ONE wheel locked up, and as the OP says it locked up for more than 100 feet. If the SBS were at fault, wouldn't all the wheels, or both front have locked? I would be looking at the right front wheel and brake. I would immediatley take it to the dealer and have the whole braking system checked out. Wouldn't want this happening while I was driving it with the kids on board.

Dave
I do plan to have the dealer check the brakes, but I'm afraid when I tell them I was towing it behind a motor home at the time of lock up, their cooperation level will drop to near zero.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The CR-V is one of only two vehicles still covered by Honda's warranty when towed behind a MH, the other is the FIT. Warranty will still be in effect. Something besides the braking system is at fault here as all wheels would have been locked up if it was the braking system.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote