Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingrampa View Post
tmw188, You might want to call TireMinder directly. When I called them the other day, I asked about the upgrade program and she told me there is an upgrade from my TMC400 to either the TM66 or the A1A. I believe the A1A has a bigger screen as well as other upgrades. You might want to look at that one. Another feature they have is a battery exchange program where each year up to 2018, you send in your old batteries and they replace them with new ones and new o-rings at no charge. Some of the other brand systems say their batteries last for 5 years but then you have to send all the transmitters in to have the batteries replaced. Pros and Cons for every system. I've had mine for over 2 years and had no problems. Very good customer service.
I will check that out, thanks for the info!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
mikeminder, I commend you for being on here and offering, and as time allows, I may, but ... not sure I want to spend any more than the 4 or 5 days I've already spent trying to get it working.

it's the old adage, I have more days behind me than in front of me and crawling under that thing to put the tag axle sensor on the inside is TOUGH

really not sure a booster will help since the sensor that really goes crazy is the one less than 5 foot away on the front left tire and right below the receiver ...
Had a similar issue. They replaced the receiver. Have not tested it yet but next week we hook up.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:27 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The areas highlighted in red would be show-stoppers for me.

The Tire SafeGuard TPMS gives you up to date data plus will activate an alarm immediately when any fault has occurred.

No booster needed for most situations. I haul a long trailer which puts the tires farther back than when hauling my car so I have the booster.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Looking at this unit on their site I'm not sure which monitor is the current model? I like the portable one but it shows two different monitors, one of which is not very easy to read. How long has this company been around do you know?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

Looking at this unit on their site I'm not sure which monitor is the current model? I like the portable one but it shows two different monitors, one of which is not very easy to read. How long has this company been around do you know?
I am not sure how long they have been in business. Only Steve Wong (Main Office) and Dion Elrod (Sales and Technical Service) could answer that question.

I do know that they are more than 11 years old because there was a commercial Fleet Study of Brake Performance and Tire Pressure Sensors performed on school buses that began back in 2005 where Tire SafeGuard was one of the chosen TPMS to be studied.

If I was to guess they may have gotten stated in the 90's.

HERE is the report that was published in 2009.

Back in 2012 when I purchased my first TPMS from them they still had two different monitors. I chose the larger square looking monitor which was their newest one. I believe that they have gone to that type of monitor exclusively as that what is displayed on the Amazon web site where they sell them. The only other place they sell them is at some local RV shows if Dion can fit them into his schedule.

I have one 10 Wheel TPMS, one motorcycle TPMS and one 4 Wheel TPMS for my wife's car.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:31 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire Minder TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I am not sure how long they have been in business. Only Steve Wong (Main Office) and Dion Elrod (Sales and Technical Service) could answer that question.

I do know that they are more than 11 years old because there was a commercial Fleet Study of Brake Performance and Tire Pressure Sensors performed on school buses that began back in 2005 where Tire SafeGuard was one of the chosen TPMS to be studied.

If I was to guess they may have gotten stated in the 90's.

HERE is the report that was published in 2009.

Back in 2012 when I purchased my first TPMS from them they still had two different monitors. I chose the larger square looking monitor which was their newest one. I believe that they have gone to that type of monitor exclusively as that what is displayed on the Amazon web site where they sell them. The only other place they sell them is at some local RV shows if Dion can fit them into his schedule.

I have one 10 Wheel TPMS, one motorcycle TPMS and one 4 Wheel TPMS for my wife's car.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Thanks Richard. I like the monitor shown in the add its large and the orientation of the vehicle makes it easy to read. I wonder if you add your toad if it has a different display? So what made you choose this unit verses any of the others, I read what would be your show stoppers but do you like about it now. I would be worried about the set screw damaging the threads on the valve, that would be a big problem.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks Richard. I like the monitor shown in the add its large and the orientation of the vehicle makes it easy to read. I wonder if you add your toad if it has a different display? So what made you choose this unit verses any of the others, I read what would be your show stoppers but do you like about it now. I would be worried about the set screw damaging the threads on the valve, that would be a big problem.
The display can be changed to whatever size vehicle(s) and tire/wheel combination you have up to 20 wheels I believe. However it comes pre-configured based on the system that you purchase. If things change in the future you can change the configuration easily such as going from a 6 wheel coach to an 8 wheel coach.

The first Tire SafeGuard system I purchased was a 10 wheel TPMS, 6 wheels for the coach and 4 wheels for the car or trailer depending on what I happen to be towing for that trip. The display will show the coach wheels first followed by the car wheels and continues to auto-scroll through them switching from one vehicle to the other vehicle. You can also use a button to manually scroll through each wheel position to view the data.

When I am staying at one location for an extended stay, I "drop" the screen for the coach and use the car screen solely so I can monitor the car tires while driving. When I am ready to move on to another location I simply add the coach back to the screen.

I do not use the set screws to lock the sensors onto the stems. I am a trusting soul and have never had any stolen so far, 4 years. I do lock the motorcycle sensors onto those wheels but for the coach and cars I do not. I usually remove the coach sensors once we have settled into one location for a long stay.

Here is what I like about the Tire SafeGuard TPMS:

Small Cap sensors - very little weight (I do not like or use flow-through sensors). The system comes pre-programmed for the configuration you purchase. Just install each sensor in the proper sequence and wait for the master unit to recognize the sensor (about 5-10 seconds). Alarm settings can easily be set to user preferences. The sensors have a sleep mode to conserve battery power but wake up instantaneously when there is any alarm condition. I have never had a false alarm except for one sensor that was initially defective and Tire SafeGuard replaced that sensor free of charge. Batteries are easily replaced which I do every two years, $7 for 10 batteries). Under normal conditions a signal booster is not needed for the coach and car. My signal booster was included in the "show" deal so I got mine for free and I use it when towing my 30 foot trailer as the wheels are further back versus the car wheels. When towing the car I usually don't turn it on.

I trust this TPMS completely to do the job I want it to do, monitor the psi and temperature of each wheel. No TPMS will report the psi exactly as to what the Cold Inflation Pressure was set at based on your calibrated tire gauge but I have found that this TPMS has usually been within 1-2 lb's unlike other TPMS system that have been 5 lbs or more off.

I have been using this TPMS for well over 3 years now and 15,000 miles without any problems. A far cry from all of the problems I had with the Doran TPMS which I had when I first started out traveling the country.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
So they can work - good to know - ours has been nothing but a distraction...
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
JohnBoyToo,

My recommendation is to dump what you have on eBay and purchase one that you trust, can rely on and won't distract you with false alarms or no data.

After 3 years of constant headaches with the Doran TPMS and finally having 5 of the 10 sensors not reporting anything on our last trip using it, I boxed it up and sold it on eBay.

Took my time and read a lot about TPMS's and then finally decided that the Tire SafeGuard was exactly what I wanted.

It hasn't proven me wrong yet after all this time using it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire Minder TPMS

Tire Minder says it has the ability to update software with an easy to use interface. Has anyone needed to do this? I assume it's to fix bugs in the software that might show up? Has anyone purchased the TM66 recently and if so does it still have the metal antenna?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
They upgraded me to the 66 and it does have a metal antenna. Jury is still out on the upgrade. The issues with the original were not solved and the problem has become worse. Waiting for a response from my contact.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
They upgraded me to the 66 and it does have a metal antenna. Jury is still out on the upgrade. The issues with the original were not solved and the problem has become worse. Waiting for a response from my contact.
Recently?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Last fall they upgraded me. I was not able to test the replacement out until this spring (snowbirding for the winter). On the way home I had issues.

My TM contact has asked for further information and it may be the repeater that is an issue.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know I'm seeing a common thread here, and as the end user unfortunately it's not enough that they are good at returning your calls and working on the problem.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
. So the update is it only changes the display every 4 min. if there is something to change as a issue based on your presets?
Sorry that made no sense.
What I meant to say is if I understand correctly is updates will show every 4 min. If there is a change based on a preset being triggered it will send right away.