Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tire shudder after a turn

On the way north this year I had a disquieting thing happen. After I made a rather sharp right turn, I got a serious shudder from the toad. I immediately pulled over and went back to look.

I didn't see anything but I started the car, and made sure the wheels were straight. After that no problems.

I have towed this car for 3 years and never had this problem before.

Any ideas why it happened? And is there any way I can prevent it from happening again?

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
WDW

We need you to share make and models of which type of vehicles.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=WDW;3115010]We need you to share make and models of which type of vehicles.

It is in my signature. 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523, GMC Terrain 2102 SLT 2 wd.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=Doc Mark;3115040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We need you to share make and models of which type of vehicles.

It is in my signature. 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523, GMC Terrain 2102 SLT 2 wd.

Had this problem with a little geo tracker that I towed behind my moho for 100k. First time it happened coming out of a gas station. Scared the poop out of me. I found that it usually happens when coming out of a drive way. What it was is that the front steering/tires were occilating from side to side. Meaning the steering wheel was turning left then right. To solve the problem I added a steering damper the steering system. If yours already has a steer damper then it is gone probably bado. If it doesn't there are several companies that make bolt on units. For my little tracker I had to weld a bracket on the frame to make it fit correctly. Never had the problem again. Another thing that can cause this problem is if your tow bar is not level to the ground, but most installer are pretty good about this.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its the Death Wobble and it's starting to happen to more brands. A lot of it has to do with the Electric Steering. When in Flat Tow mode it
s not on so there is no pressure to keep the wheels running straight.

It could be something else so keep on it. In the mean time when it happens slow down and allow the wheel to straighten out if possible.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Caster shimmy.
It happens and should not cause any damage unless it happens a lot.
The reason it happens is this, cars are designed and the alignment specs are set to drive down the road not be pulled by the bumper. occasionally when the conditions are right the shimmy will set in (like a wobbling shopping cart wheel).
If it happens a lot I would increase the caster on the toad.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the toad have electric power steering?

I'm curious if there are different caster settings between electric power steering, hydraulic power steering, and manual steering..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
Caster shimmy.
It happens and should not cause any damage unless it happens a lot.
The reason it happens is this, cars are designed and the alignment specs are set to drive down the road not be pulled by the bumper. occasionally when the conditions are right the shimmy will set in (like a wobbling shopping cart wheel).
If it happens a lot I would increase the caster on the toad.
Changing the caster won't solve the problem. Installing a steering shock or steering damper will solve the problem. I also had the same problem on my 73 dodge moho. After reseting the caster, it still would shimmy, when I installed a steering shock/damper the problem went away. Caster is the pivot angle for the front wheels. each side is independent from the other. Most vehicles they are the same, but in a few each side is slightly different. Most vehicle shimmy problems are caused by not enough caster or the casters not being close enough to being the same for both sides. Toad shimmeys are caused by the lifting of the front of the vehicle by the towing vehicle when moving at slow speed through a turn, most commonly coming out of a drive way. Because the weight is off the front tires they tend to turn the opposite direction of the turn and then when they turn back they over turn which causes them start to occilate back and forth. If you simply stop it allows the occilation to stop, weight to settle down on to the front end again and then the toad will follow the tow vehicle properly again. I've noticed that higher center of gravity vehicles tend to get the toad wobble more than the lower ones. But, that said, if the tow bar is not mounted parallel to the ground it can happen to any vehicle. Steering and toad geometry is a fascinating subject.

Caster is varied according many factors. But I think it mostly the length of the vehicle, front and rear weight distribution and center of gravity. The style of steering, hydraulic or electric is not important.