Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TJ top down in tow

Anyone leave their soft top folded down on their TJ when towing behind a Class A? Doors off, or even on?

I know the dynamics change a little back there with airflow, but wonder if you experienced any issues with the top billowing? Trashed seats? Floor mats flying out etc.

I'm just wondering if I'm over conservative buttoning the top back up each time we move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-25-2016 Crawford-189.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	137103  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think seats could get covered in oil, from the RV and kicked up by the road. Sort of the same thing happens driving with sunroof open, back seats get covered in grit and dead bugs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Anyone leave their soft top folded down on their TJ when towing behind a Class A? Doors off, or even on?

I know the dynamics change a little back there with airflow, but wonder if you experienced any issues with the top billowing? Trashed seats? Floor mats flying out etc.

I'm just wondering if I'm over conservative buttoning the top back up each time we move.
Brad,
We've owned and towed eight different Jeep Wranglers. We're on our ninth now. (something's wrong with this picture) Anyway, we've towed with the tops down, up, on, off, doors on, off, 1/2 doors, tube doors, with hard and soft tops. In any configuration, there is ZERO difference(s) in any handling, power, operation of the coach what so ever. We've not left anything light in any of them when towing, as in, clothes, blankets, things like that.

But, no floor mats have ever sailed away due to the potential turbulence in them. Sure, the open Jeeps will get dirtier but, we've never had ANY oil from our slobber tube misting back there. Heck, even the front of any of our toads that we've towed with the D/P have never had any oil on them, CHIPS, but no oil.

Now, much of this depends on where your slobber tube is placed, how much oil in the engine etc. I say that last part about oil in the engine because, it's a known fact that with many of the CAT 3126 and C-7 engines, the dip stick was improperly marked and there was too much oil in the engines. That resulted in excessive oil action inside the crankcase which meant oil was entering the blow-by system. It had no where to go but out the blow by tube. That makes for messy toads and or, radiators if the blowby tube is too short etc. But, that's whole 'nother story.

Anway, you won't have any issue towing with the top down. I'd just make sure you put a couple of bungees or a strap or two of some sort to keep it all together and lashed down. There is turbulence back there but, not as much as you may think. At different speeds, it changes to almost a vacuum.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ya it was kind of the vacuum I was worried about raisin the top and billowing it. I can lash it down with some bungees like you say. We'll give it a shot next weekend if the weather is clear. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
ya it was kind of the vacuum I was worried about raisin the top and billowing it. I can lash it down with some bungees like you say. We'll give it a shot next weekend if the weather is clear. Thanks for the info!
Roger that Brad,
Let us know how it works out when you try it.
Scott
Old 08-28-2016, 04:41 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We leave our TJ's hardtop on all the time. It comes in handy with all the weather changes we go through when traveling. Besides, it gives us extra lockable storage space. We love our Jeep.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
We leave our TJ's hardtop on all the time. It comes in handy with all the weather changes we go through when traveling. Besides, it gives us extra lockable storage space. We love our Jeep.
We may get there someday, but for now I got the Jeep so I could take the top off, and the hardtop is a little heavy to remove spontaneously. Thats why we leave the hardtop at home and use the softop, at least until November or so.

I think if we had the new Wrangler, I would be happy with just pulling the T-tops.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
We may get there someday, but for now I got the Jeep so I could take the top off, and the hardtop is a little heavy to remove spontaneously. Thats why we leave the hardtop at home and use the softop, at least until November or so.

I think if we had the new Wrangler, I would be happy with just pulling the T-tops.
Brad,

I re-designed the mounting fasteners on many of our hart topped Jeeps. I used "Nutserts" instead of regular nuts and bolts. One of them I even used knobs instead of bolts to hold the hardtop on. When we got to the desert, and the weather forecast for the next 24 hours was good, I'd spin those knobs off and, with the help of one other mild strength gent, we would hoist that top off and we'd set it on two, steel collapsible saw horses. The saw horses could be carried in the Jeep or the M/H. But, the whole operation, from the time I put my hand on the first knob, to the time the top was sitting on the horses, right close to about 1.5 - 2 minutes.

And, it was about the same amount of time to re-install it. And, none of those knobs ever came loose while normal street driving of the Jeep.
Scott
Old 08-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Brad,

I re-designed the mounting fasteners on many of our hart topped Jeeps. I used "Nutserts" instead of regular nuts and bolts. One of them I even used knobs instead of bolts to hold the hardtop on. When we got to the desert, and the weather forecast for the next 24 hours was good, I'd spin those knobs off and, with the help of one other mild strength gent, we would hoist that top off and we'd set it on two, steel collapsible saw horses. The saw horses could be carried in the Jeep or the M/H. But, the whole operation, from the time I put my hand on the first knob, to the time the top was sitting on the horses, right close to about 1.5 - 2 minutes.

And, it was about the same amount of time to re-install it. And, none of those knobs ever came loose while normal street driving of the Jeep.
Scott
Scott,
I actually saw those in Quadratec Catalog and installed some a few years ago. They really make the job easy. Truth be told, its probably easier to remove the hardtop than lower the soft top, However, I would need to rely on someone else to help me because Dory can't. I have an electric hoist that comes down in the garage to remove it.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We leave hardtop on all the time. Is good sometimes to have air conditioning on the trail. (-:

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow