Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

$$ to Ready Buick Enclave for Towing?

According to my research my Enclave can be towed 4 down if one removes a couple of fuses. In fact, I remember hearing about a set up that included a hook up with a fuse bypass feature.

What would be a ball park number to get the vehicle ready?

Thanks
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About $2,000 to $2,500 based on my experience.

You need a good braking system installed in the Buick.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$3,000 - $4,000 All in, Tow Bar, Base Plate, Braking System (nice one, like SMI).

Includes labor.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

I think I put this in the wrong forum. Can anyone move it up to where it should go? I would like to get some info on the fuse bypass system.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a link to the fuse bypass system we use on our GMC Acadia - twin to the Enclave:

https://www.rv-partsplus.com/rving-fuseswitch

We use the Air Force One braking system, and the Blue Ox tow bar. Total cost was just over $3K installed.

Hope that helps.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A top quality tow bar, e.g. Aventa LX, runs $600-$1000, depending on the seller (RV dealers get big bucks!). Base plates to connect it run another $350 plus install labor, so figure another $200-$300 for labor. A good brake system runs around $1000 or so, and may also have labor (depends on type). Lighting for the towed car runs another $250 or so. That puts a typical dealer-installed system at near $3000 and sometimes more. Or DIY for around $2000.

The least expensive equipment is a Ready Brute Elite towbar & surge brake system (combined) for about $1100 from an online discount outlet. Figure another $250 or so if you pay to have the brake portion installed. Add another $350 + labor for base plates and the lighting and you are in for around $2000, all installed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #7

Pagosajoe,

On your Acadia what steps do you take once hooked up? I know in neutral but is the key on to allow the steering wheel to turn? Does the fuse bypass kill power to what ever is activated by the key? All this is new to me.

Thanks

Ron
Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

On my 2007 FWD Acadia, the tranny is in neutral, the key in ACC (unlocks steering) and the 50A Batt1 fuse removed. I think some later years have an additional fuse to remove. I made my own "fuse switch" to reduce the hassle with the fuse, which in in a box under the hood.

I mounted the switch under the hood, but you could run the wires inside if you want. In the attached photo, the yellow oval is where the switch harness connects to the fuse slot, the green is a 50A rated switch and Blue is a 50A fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadia Fuse switch (Small-annotated).jpg
Views:	448
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	102409  
Old 08-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

Thanks Gary, My 2010 has another fuse by the battery in the floor of the right passenger seat. I was told to pull that one and the one you bypassed under the hood.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Two switches is a pain, but you do what ya gotta do. A friend of mine just bought a new Acadia with the same two fuse set-up and he is putting in a pair of relays operated by a single switch for convenience. I would likely just do two switches.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #11

Ron, I gave a 15 Acadia. Here's what I know. Cost about $800 to buy and install a Blue Ox baseplate. When they wire in the lights have them run a 12V charge line from the coach to the battery so that whatever braking system you get, you'll have a constant charge going to the battery. I bought the RVI2 braking system. Easy to install, works fine and portable. Haven't had any instance of premature or inadvertent brake application. Now as to fuses: my manual says to take out the Batt1 (under the hood) and two fuses in the battery box in the back seat. The dealership said that removing the batt1 fuse prevents mileage from accumulating while towing and prevents battery discharge. They really couldn't figure out a good reason for the removing the other two fuses. So you can buy a fuse bypass kit (they're pricey) or make one yourself. Or you can go to the dealer or an auto supply house and get a high profile 50 amp batt1 fuse. I think they call them fmx fuses. Anyway, the high profile fuse is about 1/4 inch taller and you can easily grasp it with your fingers. Also, for some strange reason, the highbeam headlights come on, when you pull the batt1 fuse so to prevent that you must pull the two 10 amp high beam fuses. Again, you can get a high profile fuse which makes pulling them a snap. By the way, if you don't put the headlight fuses back in you'll still have low beams. So to be brief, I wouldn't go to the trouble of pulling those pesky fuses in the battery compartment. You can do everything under the hood. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #12

Where should one go to get a base plate, the wiring and the brake? What type of business, in other words, will be most likely to have the know how and the parts?

If I buy the MH that I am contemplating it will be 1000 miles from home and I will need to get the Enclave ready to tow as soon as possible or my wife will have to follow me and it home. We could set up something down the road if the parts have to be ordered.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

Ron, you can buy a braking system directly from RVIBRAKE.COM. As far as the baseplate and towbar is concerned, you'll quickly get into a Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler discussion when you ask which towbar folks prefer. As for me, I've been towing with a Blue Ox baseplate and towbar for 13 years. I prefer the Blue Ox because when you get to where ever you're going you can pull the towing connectors out of the car, leaving a clean front end. Some of the other baseplates leave a bunch of stuff on the front of the car---which in my mind is asking for trouble. With that setup even a minor collision (or if some doofus backs into your car) the apparatus for hooking the car to the towbar may be damaged. To find a Blue Ox certified installer go to Blueox.com and click on dealers. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info. I have decided to get the MH home...1100 miles...and go shopping there. Camping World in Knoxville quoted $4600 for Blue Ox and Air Force One. I think that I can beat that in SW Florida where I live.

Just closed on the rig today and my wife can scout ahead in the Enclave while I bring up the rear in the M380.

Thanks

Tags
tow, towing