Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2006, 03:11 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKBrick:
Thank you for your input. I'm impressed with all of Saturn's Vues being flat 4 towed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You can not flat 4 tow a 4 cylinder automatic Vue because of the CVT transmission. The requirement is for V-6 automatic or 4 cylinder manual. AWD is towable due to the V-6 requirement. AWD n/a w/ 4Cyl.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm definitely going with the Blue Ox Aladdin and bulb kit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Blue Ox is the company that I would do business with "no doubt". You will see the Blue Ox support team, "Destination America" at events across the country including the iRV2 National Rally in TN this year. We appreciate their direct support. When you are ready to buy give RV Upgrades.com a try. You will find their prices are some of the lowest advertised. RV Upgrades is a major iRV2 sponsor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is the cluster fuse switch installed so you don't have to go under the hood to pull the required fuses? Also, what do the fuses do that are being pulled? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ed Gray (edgray) can better speak about MY2006 Saturn Vue fuse exclusion requirements. In 2004 pulling the 3-5 Amp BCM cluster fuse, inside fuse panel, was the only requirement. I installed an in-line fuse and pin switch into the BCM fuse socket that allows me to open the circuit w/o yanking the fuse all the time. That since has changed to an under the hood fuse. I believe it's a large fuse possibly a 40 amp. That will all be detailed in the owner's manual. You should be able to do an in-line setup with that fuse however you would have to see what the layout looks like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">By the way, I just put on Bilstein shocks all of the around. Like you said, BIG difference!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm glad that worked out for you, enjoy!

By the way we're seeing a lot of Class A Saturn Vue combinations in fact it's almost laughable that there are so many.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2006, 04:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
DriVer,
Hmmmm....Maybe there should be a new Saturn/Class A irv2 forum!
Thanks again for all your information.
AKBrick
Old 05-28-2006, 04:00 AM   #17
RLS

Hi All, I thought Saturn stopped using the CVT in 2004. I have a 05' VUE 4 cyl 5 speed and have not found it to be lacking in power. We have guests that travel with us sometimes and it will haul 4 FULL sized adults with ease and plenty of power. You should always check the owners manual before any purchase, and never just take the word of a sales person.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:54 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Hi RLS,
Did you have to do anything special to "Plain Jane" to tow her 4 down. I don't have any qualms with driving 4 cylinders. The ones I've driven seem to have plenty of power.
(I used to drag race when I was in my thirties, but I got over it). Anyway it's great to hear from someone with experiance with the Saturn Vue 4 cylinder. Does "Plain Jane" have a standard or automatic transmission that is a 5 speed?
AKBrick
Old 05-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #19
RLS

Hello AKBrick, Plain Jane is a 5 speed manual, and is a lot of fun to drive. She really starts to pull hard at 3k, and red line is over 6k. The only thing I do to tow, is pull 1 fuse, and you really do not need to do that if you tow for just a day. I have Blue Ox base plate and Tow Bar and I use a Brake Buddy. I installed Add-a-Light kit to the stop light fixtures. If you need any information let me know, I will be glad to help.
We will be in Fairbanks on the 25th of July and spend a couple days there before going to Denali for a couple more days, and then on south for a cruise down the coast.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Hi RLS,
Sounds like the Standard Saturn Vue just may be my cup o' tea! What is an "Add-a-Light" kit for? I noticed that Blue Ox sells a light wiring kit just for the Saturn. Hmmm...I wonder if that is for the Vue too?
Sounds like you'll be in Fairbanks during "Golden Days". You'll have fun. Denali Park is beautiful too. Wierd thing is though, I've never had the opportunity to actually camp there even after 35 years of living here. We'll solve that shortly!
Happy trails,
AKBrick
Old 05-29-2006, 04:37 AM   #21
RLS

Hi AKBrick, There are a several different ways that you can go with the tail lights. Blue Ox sells most of them. The diode kit that ties directly into the cars light wiring. The Add-A-Light or (bulb and socket) is a kit that adds a bulb and socket to the toads tail light. The VUEs tail light is big enough to add this bulb and socket light kit. Or you can go with magnetic lights. I don't like the diode setup as it is tying the coach and cars electrical systems together. True the two systems are isolated with the diodes, but I just like keeping the 2 systems separated for my own peace of mind. I had magnetic lights on my last toad, but I did not want to do that again. If you get a chance to take a Vue for a test drive, a new one will be a little sluggish but after about 6k miles it loosens up and is fun to drive. We bought it for a toad but I drive it all the time.
What is Golden Days?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Hey RLS,
Other than drilling the holes for the bulb and socket, it sounds like it may be easier to install without a lot of wire splicing under the floor mat. I may have my RV mechanic do it for me anyway. He says that he sets up toads, which is cool. (I hope this guy never leaves Fairbanks because he's good and honest too)! We're going down to Anchorage this weekend to test drive some Saturns and hopefully bring one back with us.
Golden Days is an annual weeklong event in July where everyone celebrates the "Gold Rush" which is how Fairbanks grew up here on the banks of the Chena River. A lot of people dress up in old time clothes in the stores and there is a parade. There are a lot of different events held around town. It's usually a big tourist draw. I think you may be comming up right in the middle of it. You may want to look it up on the internet.
By the way, the Alaskan (Alcan) Highway is not too bad. It's paved most of the way or at least pretty well maintained. When I came up with my parents in 1971 It was all gravel and bumpy. I'd still at least have a bra on my toad.
Have a great summer.
AKBrick
Old 06-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKBrick:
Hi All,
Well we did it! We baught a pacific blue Saturn Vue, 4 cylinder, standard transmission. So far after driving it for a couple of days it feels pretty good. Like Driver said, a little underpowered on the hills but otherwise a nice SUV. We are having a Blue Ox Aladdin tow kit with all cables/wiring etc put on. We also opted for the Apollo Brake system. Can't wait to tow it to the Kenai Penninsula.
I just want to thank you all for the education here on IRV2.com. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #24
RLS

Congratulations on the Vue. For the hills just down shift a couple gears as needed and enjoy, the 4 cyl likes to rev, and it will get better as it brakes in.
If you are going to use the add-a-bulb lighting you should be aware that if you use a braking device on your Vue, make sure the add-a-bulb goes in the bottom (or middle of tail light assembly) red tail light section. The top position is tail and stop and the middle position is tail and turn and the bottom position is backup light. If you locate the add-a-bulb in the top position the brake light from the add-a bulb on braking system will out shine your add-a-bulb turn signal and it cannot be seen. I put the add-a-bulb in the top of the tail light position. So I ended up changing the position of the factory bulbs. Mine is now, the
top position is tail and turn and the middle position is tail and stop.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Hi RLS,
I finally realized about the downshifting on the hills and it was MUCH better. I guess it's been awhile since I've driven a standard transmission.
The Saturn dealer is adding all of the equipment needed for towing to the Vue. They like the diode style wiring better for the Vue. I can't remember why. But hey, if thier doing the wiring, they can go for it! Plus it will be under warrenty. I can't wait to see how it tows.
Have a good one.
AKBrick
Old 06-18-2006, 03:39 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We continue to appreciate our Saturn Vue and since 2004 it hasn't presented us with any issues and it tows very well. We did scrub off a set of tires already but that's the way it goes.

The V6 AWD that we have a great little vehicle and it more that pays for itself as a storage multiplier. I am amazed at the power this vehicle has, it's the same drive train as a Accura MDX featuring some 250HP. (detuned from MDX configuration). The vehicle pulls really well when you need to pass on the Interstate.

For the money, it's a nice little toad and the weight is right at some 3700 pounds.

It's not at all unusual to enter a campground and see several Saturn Vues and Blue Ox seems to be the favored tow setup.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
DriVer,
Yup, this summer, as I go to work in North Pole, Alaska (13 miles S.E. of Fairbanks) I've seen a lot of "Lower 48" folks come up the Richardson Highway (part of the Alcan Hwy) towing thier Saturn Vues. I'm glad to see many happy campers with them as it helps confirm our decision to buy one.
My wife and I are driving down to Anchorage, Alaska tomorrow with the motorhome to pick it up and then head out to the dogshow and Seward, AK for some fishing and relaxation.
Happy trails!
AKBrick