Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
In the discussion re: locked or unlocked steeriing column: if one has a swivel mounted on the dolly that the vehicle is strapped to, does the steering column need to be locked or unlocked or does the swivel table take up the needed swing when you are cornering?
lock the steering with a swiveling tow dolly.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the little red wagon demo. That's pretty much like it is.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just for the sake of arguing, just how much does the front or rear axels on a three axel fiver toy hauler swivel? None? Now those three axels span several feet. Yet they seem to be fine as I see them up and down the interstates and surface roads every summer, in and out of RV parks as we travel around. The three axels may be a bit shorter, but the format (no swivel pad not swivel axels on either) is the same.
How about that situation?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Just for the sake of arguing, just how much does the front or rear axels on a three axel fiver toy hauler swivel? None? Now those three axels span several feet. Yet they seem to be fine as I see them up and down the interstates and surface roads every summer, in and out of RV parks as we travel around. The three axels may be a bit shorter, but the format (no swivel pad not swivel axels on either) is the same.
How about that situation?
On a 3 axle 5ver, the center axle is the swivel point, the axles in front and back get dragged sideways a bit on turning. On a tow dolly if the wheels on the dolly are fixed, the car and dolly are a 4 wheel, 2 axle trailer with a much longer wheelbase than the 3 axle 5ver. Either the dolly wheels need to turn or the dolly/car needs to 'bend' in the middle with either a swivel platform on the dolly or leave the steering of the car unlocked so the 'tail' can allow for turning. The geometry is really quite simple, the red wagon example is a good one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I have a MasterTow Tow Dolly that has a swivel pan and I lock the steering wheel.I have had it for 2 yrs. with probably 5000 miles and it does a great job and it still looks new even though I bought it used.I have read from other posts on here that has had trouble with tires but,mine still looks like new with hardly any wear.Good Luck All.

PS I tow a 2012 Hyundai Accent.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you are using a tow dolly with any kind of steering system or a pivoting wheel pan you would leave your column locked. If you are using an Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly you will leave the column unlocked. That is assuming that your car has a locking column. The manufacturers are moving away from locking columns. It is no longer necessary as part of the cars security system. Both methods work just fine.