Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

To Toad or not to Toad.

Need advice:
We have a DSDP 4038 on order. First time owning a MH. Rented in past.
Never pulled a toad before but seems most folks do.
We have a 2013 Harley Tri-glide and want to take it along.
Here are our options:
I can get a Hydra-Lift that attaches to the rear of the frame and to the existing hitch. Its completely hydraulic so no steel cables. Once the trike is loaded it does however block the MH's rear tail lights quite a bit. But its lifted up and tucked in pretty close to rear cap.
This would then be our primary mode of transportation once the MH is all hooked up and stationary.
The next option is to get a F-150 with a 8' or 6' bed and pull it with the trike tucked inside bed. This would eliminate the hydraulic lift scenario.
It seemed to make sense to have the trike on the lift and not have to pull an extra vehicle.
But maybe the better arrangement is to have the pickup with the trike.
Just concerned about hauling 40' plus and another 20' down the road.

Yeeesh, I thought deciding on which MH to get was difficult.
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
To many toy's....

I just went through this over the years.......car dolly first, got tired of the dolly, new Jeep JK, installed tow bar set up.......Enclosed custom bike trailer(already owned this).....had to make a decision every time on what to take.......sold the custom bike trailer yesterday.......ordered this new custom built trailer today........now we can take what ever we want. Sure has been a lot of upgrading! to get to this point. I like my equipment clean, and the enclosed trailer is the only way to achieve this, A bike on the rear of your Coach......, you know what the rear of it is like after driving in the rain....... Just my thoughts and my journey on what to tow or take with us.......

Old 03-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carried my Ultra Classic on a lift behind a pusher. I added LED signal and brake lights to the lift. Only problem was my bike got might dirty on long trips.
If you're not full timing, I see no reason to go through the expense of a truck, tow bar, and bike ramp. If you need 4 wheels, you can always rent a wreck/car for bad weather.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #4

Once you TOWD you never go back.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Once you TOWD you never go back.
I agree, but towing a motorcycle is a bit different. I see towing a full size pickup behind a motorhome as a bit extreme just to carry a motorcycle. The way I see it you have three options that make sense.
  1. Carry the motorcycle on the back of the RV like your original idea and add extra tail/signal lights to compensate so your signals can be seen.
  2. Get an open trailer. Understand that your motorcycle will get dirty.
  3. Get a closed trailer like the above. Probably the costliest option.

I think the first makes the most sense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I was 63' going down the road. Length was never a problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think it would be any longer than our combination. Maybe a bit more weight, but not longer. Only you can make the decision, but remember, there are some days the sun doesn't shine all day.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
Need advice:
We have a DSDP 4038 on order. First time owning a MH. Rented in past.
Never pulled a toad before but seems most folks do.
We have a 2013 Harley Tri-glide and want to take it along.
Here are our options:
I can get a Hydra-Lift that attaches to the rear of the frame and to the existing hitch. Its completely hydraulic so no steel cables. Once the trike is loaded it does however block the MH's rear tail lights quite a bit. But its lifted up and tucked in pretty close to rear cap.
This would then be our primary mode of transportation once the MH is all hooked up and stationary.
The next option is to get a F-150 with a 8' or 6' bed and pull it with the trike tucked inside bed. This would eliminate the hydraulic lift scenario.
It seemed to make sense to have the trike on the lift and not have to pull an extra vehicle.
But maybe the better arrangement is to have the pickup with the trike.
Just concerned about hauling 40' plus and another 20' down the road.

Yeeesh, I thought deciding on which MH to get was difficult.
Gamechanger,
Strictly speaking from direct experience here with both your scenarios, I'll give you some first hand experience. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330 HP. We own an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing and wanted to bring it with us in our endeavors. So, we also went through all the research and investigation of how to bring it along. But, we wanted a toad too. We want the best of both worlds.

So, we ended up purchasing the best lift on the market which, is the Hydralift. I installed it on the back of our coach. I was told all kinds of things would happen if I did that. First, I'd get some very bad handling, NEVER HAPPENED! I was told I'd do damage to the frame, NEVER HAPPENED! I was told there would be severe unevenness of ride height, NEVER HAPPENED!

In short, that rig handled flawlessly. It ran straight down the road with no issues, handling, problems, breakages, damage what so ever. And, like stated, we also towed our '11 Honda CRV at the same time.

But, I decided after over 8,000 miles, I was taking a chance. You see, on our rig, we have a 17,500 lb. rear axle. I was running down the road, with the lift and the bike, at just over 21,000 lbs. I knew the frame system could take it and the suspension but, I just figured it was time for a change.

So, we sold the lift, and purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 for a toad. And, we also purchased a "Rampage" lift/carrier for the truck. So, now the truck carries the Goldwing and, there's no tongue weight on the coach at all. We like the GMC much better than the CRV anyways. Our coach, with that C-7 330 HP CAT, tows that truck without issues. It has great acceleration and braking, even without using a Ready Brake on the truck. It slows down on the grades a bit but, it does that anyways, with or without the truck in tow.

You can equip that Rampage lift to carry a trike as I understand it. It's a very simple system to load and or, unload the bike using that Rampage. I've also setup the Rampage to be installed or, removed from the truck, in about 1 minute. All I do is remove the 5 bolts that hold it to the bed and, I lift it up and slide it half way out while the wife rolls a nice cart that I built for that specific purpose, right under it. I then lower that lift, right onto the cart and, it's out of the bed as stated, in about a minute.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Palehorse - nice Trailer Congrats!

Fire Up - Sweet Rubicon... I guess you got rid of it. I could see the progression needs...

I agree with RayJr... once you TOWD you never go back!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad