Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes on the toad. You can go and see the sites run to the store will not leave home without our toad.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #16

We bought our Tiffin Allegro 32SA in September of last year. First few months, did short 3 or 4 day trips within a hundred miles of home, no toad. Mostly at state parks. Honestly, I felt somewhat trapped within the park, knowing that I couldn't go explore the surrounding area. We decided to downsize since we're now retired, selling our two cars (one still to go) for one towable, Ford C-Max. Last couple of months, when doing 3 to 5 day trips to Victoria or Galveston, TX, we were also able to take the toad out for sightseeing in the local areas. Big improvement. Heading to California this summer, taking the toad.
JimHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #17

Ok, I'll tell you right off the bat, I'm different.

I don't "camp". I never took my coach to the campground, and I think I never will. When I go out in it in some kind of "natural setting", I like to be away from people,......all the people. I drive it to the beach, and boondock (example), if I want to entertain, I drive it to Vegas (another example), and I boondock. For moving around in the nature, we have two mountain bikes on board. If I drive it to one of my friends properties, I hook up there. From their ranches, I go sightseeing on horseback. Go shooting, or just spending a night under the stars. Sometimes I help them "ride the fences", as they help me when they visit my ranch. That relaxes me. Any kind of physical work relaxes me.

I don't need the toad. We fill the fridge before we leave, and we have everything we would have in our S&B. IF we need something on the road (like dog food, treats, etc.), I pull over at any Walmart, and load up. In Vegas (S.F. L.A. or any other big city), we boondock where it's allowed, and call the cab when we want to go out. We basically think of our coach as "hotel suite on wheels". This worked well for us, until..........

I have three motorcycles, and I was missing them on my travels. My wife is NOT a "motorcycle person", and according to her, I'm a lunatic. But we, the lunatics, need to have some fun too! So I installed a motorcycle lift in the back of my coach, and now I don't tow, I carry my BMW K1200RS wherever we go. Comes handy to zip around if I feel like it. Still not good for any "entertaining" (the kind that we do together), and I understand that an evening gown, and a tux would look ridiculous on the bike!

In case I feel frisky, I leave my DW with the dogs in the coach, and I take a bike ride before dinner. I like to go fast, and when I get back she always asks me "how many tickets today?".

If YOU plan on staying in campgrounds, RV resorts, and such.......toad is a MUST HAVE (unless you load couple of mountain bikes, as we also do).

I told you, I'm different.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #18

We heard you...we "toaded"

So tonight we bought a 2013 Honda CR-V 2WD 5speed automatic...Now what? I think I read where a Brute Ready or maybe it's Ready Brute tow bar is good & need a base plate & brake system. Do we buy these on line? Just think...next year we will be experts at this. Ron & Claudia
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #19

Kindof depends how you're going to get al the work done. Some people do it all themselves, so fine buying it all online at the best price you can. On the other hand, if you're not comfortable taking the front fascia off the car, and mounting the baseplate on, look for a local RV shop to do it. They will usually want to procure items themselves and give you a package price for parts and labor. Thats usually for the baseplate install and wiring. You could probably buy the tow bar and the supplemental braking system yourselves, or again, just have them include it as part of a full ready to tow package price. Don't for get to include a drop hitch if the baseplate connections and your RV hitch are out of line by more than 4 inches (typically)
JimHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
So tonight we bought a 2013 Honda CR-V 2WD 5speed automatic...Now what? I think I read where a Brute Ready or maybe it's Ready Brute tow bar is good & need a base plate & brake system. Do we buy these on line? Just think...next year we will be experts at this. Ron & Claudia
I have a Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate. I installed the baseplate by myself last week on my CRV(I am 79 years old). Now have bulb and socket wiring kit in hand. Best way to rig lights as there is room in CRV housing for extra socket. Excellent videos on youtube for installing both the baseplate and wiring kit. Do not attempt baseplate install if mechanically inept. Good luck and enjoy your adventures.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #21

I bought the Demco base plate for our '07 CRV and installed it myself. No cutting or bending required. Drilling through the hardened sheet metal bumper bar was a bit tough though (on the drill bits). I'm using a ReadyBrute.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Our first 10 day trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan, we did not take a toad. There were many things we did not do. We had thought to rent a car, but that has to be picked up and returned. Our second 2 month trip we towed 2013 Ford Focus. Put 3,500 mi on Focus and 3,000 on motorhome. Will never be without toad again.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine doing any long-distance traveling in a Class A without a toad!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I can't imagine doing any long-distance traveling in a Class A without a toad!
I agree. I'm fresh out of friends with horses and ranches. Anybody with a horse and a ranch looking for a new friend.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #25

Why am I always contrary to everyone else????? No Toad. We rent a car. But then we don't just take off for months at a time. We usually have a destination, and rent a car. Cost wise, you would have to do a lot of renting just for the price of the towing setup, nevermind the cost of the Toad itself. I've MHd Yellowstone several times. I find it fairly accommodating for MHs considering it's in the twisty mountains. The big diff is our rig is only 33 feet. I'm an Enigma!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No toad. Every place we go we use the mh. If UPS can get to it so can I.

Tags
toad