Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #15

I forgot to mention another function for our toad ... hauling our recumbent trikes inside where they stay free of road grime. We see some people hauling two kayaks on top of toads. So a toad can be your little toy hauler too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #16

We recently completed a 7 week, 7400 mile trip. This was the first time that we had a toad and it was worth the extra in fuel to have it along. We drove the toad about 2000 miles at different stops.
While it was a pain for the short stops, hooking/unhooking, for the places that we stayed longer it was good to have. We were 'hung' up for maintenance for 6 days in central Oregon, and by having the toad we were still able to get out and see places.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #17

Can't imagine not having a support vehicle.....just not sure I'd go to the expense (+$2000) & trouble of setting-up another tow vehicle once our current one dies. We'd still have a vehicle with us ....but we'd drive what we like....not what's towable.

We seldom travel every day and our travel time is seldom over 4hrs.....my wife is perfectly capable of driving the support car....the MH is much more enjoyable for me to drive without an extra 15-20ft of something that I can't back-up....and lord knows we can always use the time to be apart from each other! In fact, even though we currently have a 4 down tow vehicle we seldom bother hooking-up. No need to find special gas stations....no need to fear dead-end streets, heavy traffic, big hills, cross winds, tight spaces....no hassles & time spent hooking & unhooking and we can pull-over in any town and immediately have the support car handy for some grocery shopping, sightseeing, transportation to a restaurant or a quick side trip to a drive-in movie.

Love the support car....not so enamoured or convinced we need the towing thing ......after 30 mo. and 30k.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
.....my wife is perfectly capable of driving the support car....
Are you in the lead with her following? Just wondering about navigation which in my case is nicely handled by my wife. I can see where a "lead ship" would be great for spotting difficult road situations ahead as well as scooting on ahead to do the check-in at RV parks. Especially state and Corps parks where deciding on a campsite takes some driving around.

We do that even though we tow the car for the bulk of the day's journey. Somewhere prior to arriving at the RV park, we unhook the toad (many times at a Wal-Mart) then my wife goes ahead and I lumber along about 15 minutes later. We stay in contact with cell phones set on "speaker mode". I stick the little flip phone in a shirt pocket and chat or listen.

By the time I motor up to the park entry, my wife is there ready to lead me to the parking spot which she has already carefully inspected. Then she is the ground guide for backing in. Oh, by the way, she checks the power pole, and water faucet for correct functions before I get there. No more surprises of getting backed in then finding out we have to move to another location.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover

Are you in the lead with her following? Just wondering about navigation which in my case is nicely handled by my wife. I can see where a "lead ship" would be great for spotting difficult road situations ahead as well as scooting on ahead to do the check-in at RV parks.

By the time I motor up to the park entry, my wife is there ready to lead me to the parking spot which she has already carefully inspected. Then she is the ground guide for backing in. Oh, by the way, she checks the power pole, and water faucet for correct functions before I get there. No more surprises of getting backed in then finding out we have to move to another location.
Exactly as you have described....except we use walkie talkies rather than cellular phones. Sometimes she leads if we need to "scout" something and at other times she follows to keep an "eye" on things. Since we seldom travel for more than 4-5hrs p/day and some of that time includes lunch, walking the dogs, stopping for coffee, scouting out campsites, sightseeing, etc......we simply found hooking-up and the inconvenience of dragging the toad to be more trouble than it was worth. We have a portable GPS for cities or unfamiliar navigation issues and not having the car attached makes these unfamiliar situations less stressful ( can't argue with an empty passenger seat) as well as we can quickly park the RV and proceed with just the car as an option.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Can't imagine not having a support vehicle.....just not sure I'd go to the expense (+$2000) & trouble of setting-up another tow vehicle once our current one dies. We'd still have a vehicle with us ....but we'd drive what we like....not what's towable.

We seldom travel every day and our travel time is seldom over 4hrs.....my wife is perfectly capable of driving the support car....the MH is much more enjoyable for me to drive without an extra 15-20ft of something that I can't back-up....and lord knows we can always use the time to be apart from each other! In fact, even though we currently have a 4 down tow vehicle we seldom bother hooking-up. No need to find special gas stations....no need to fear dead-end streets, heavy traffic, big hills, cross winds, tight spaces....no hassles & time spent hooking & unhooking and we can pull-over in any town and immediately have the support car handy for some grocery shopping, sightseeing, transportation to a restaurant or a quick side trip to a drive-in movie.

Love the support car....not so enamoured or convinced we need the towing thing ......after 30 mo. and 30k.
Interesting.

I never heard of anybody doing it that way.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Interesting.

We met a couple who toured most of the US and Canada that way and it does seem to make sense for a lot of folks.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could not imagine traveling without the toad. When we stop at a campground entrance and unhook, I get separation anxiety when I pull away and see the toad getting smaller in the rear view camera. As for renting, Enterprise is probably the only viable option, but I have heard more bad than good stories about their service.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #23

Last winter.
7 months.
6000 miles on MoHo.
15,000 miles on toad, touring.
How much is that in a rental?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Interesting.

Me either. The fun for us is in the journey and I have sooo many gizmos that need monitoring I need the navigator right beside me and the destination is most often secondary. DW is not really talking baggage. And where would Fido sit?

Besides, who would get me a cool water etc while running, or check the strange noise we just heard in the back etc. Other than a short distance sometimes at the destination, my toad is hooked up when we take it. We unhook for most ferries and my wife, or often myself, leads with the toad into campgrounds if there appears to be complications or we want to scout sites out. If things are straight forward, I haul the toad right to the site.

The only disadvantage with the toad connected, is the inability to backup. But it takes me <60 sec to disconnect and <90 sec to connect. Not really a big deal at all.

If we had to travel in seperate vehicles, we would likely not take the trip, but to each his/her own.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Could not imagine traveling without the toad. When we stop at a campground entrance and unhook, I get separation anxiety when I pull away and see the toad getting smaller in the rear view camera. As for renting, Enterprise is probably the only viable option, but I have heard more bad than good stories about their service.
We have travelled toad-less twice. Once successfully, we went to Golden Shores in Long Beach and brought the bikes, the "resort" is on the bike path, and we could pedal everywhere we wanted.
The other time, not so successfully, I was apprehensive about towing up the hill to Lake Tahoe, so, the car I reserved with Enterprise wasn't returned, they had to bring one out from Reno, they didn't have enough staff to deliver, so I spent a couple hours on public transportation to pick-up and return. So, much more hassle than un-hooking the toad.
The only place I would consider not bringing a toad is the Grand Canyon, as long as there were no other stops.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
the car I reserved with Enterprise wasn't returned, they had to bring one out from Reno, they didn't have enough staff to deliver
That is a common theme with Enterprise. Years ago my company switched the corporate account to Enterprise, to get vehicles delivered to office locations. It was a complete disaster and after a year we switched back to Hertz.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Would not go without the toad. We like to off road with a Jeep Rubicon so we feel like the toad serves dual duty. All of the other advantages of having the support vehicle and it is the perfect (for us) off road vehicle too. Old mining roads outside of Ouray Colorado should not be missed. When we were shopping for this vehicle we found the perfect one, low mileage and it already had the Blue Ox base plate mounted and came with the Blue Ox tow bar too. Couldn't have worked out better. Would not want to take the trips without DW in the copilot seat. To each his own but for us we like to share the journey more than than taking it in separate vehicles. Happy trails to all.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #28
doc

Appalachian Campers
We tried it several years ago. Did a trip to Grand Canyon and LasVegas via Sedona. Our rationale was to rent a car when we arrived. That worked fine for Vegas and Hoover Dam area but there were so many side trips we would have liked to have done as we traveled through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. You can do it w/o a towed, but you miss so much in side trips and run-around stuff that the money saved on fuel when towing is no comparison.

Tags
toad