Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
I wouldn't bother w TPMS. I've worn out (3) toads and never seen a need for TPMS. Check your tires the old fashioned way and glance at the camera every now and then. If you get a flat you will feel it in the rig.
I beg to differ. I've had two blowouts on my toad and with neither was I aware of them. I "felt" absolutely nothing! The first time, I didn't have a TPMS and was only aware that something was wrong when a car pulled up beside me honking and pointing. The second time, I did have TPMS and it alerted me instantly that I had a flat. On one other occasion, my TPMS alerted me that one of my toad's tires was losing air and gave me plenty of time to pull over and change it before destroying the tire.

As for glancing in the camera every now and then, you must have a very special camera as in neither of my coaches have I been able to see my toad's tires unless I was turning.

If you can feel a toad's flat tire then you either have a very small motorhome or a very large toad....or maybe both.

There is no substitute for a TPMS....they should be standard equipment on all vehicles.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
I haven't had a need for a seat belt either. And I doubt that you would feel it in a large rig, or at least you sure can't count on it. I can't imagine why anyone would risk the expense of the potential damage to save a few hundred bucks on a TPMS, but YMMV.
Then there's the old story of the toad blow out - rim sending sparks to grass. Fire running for miles as driver has no idea. Finally pulled over - and eventually presented with the bill for the fire department and damage.

My take on these "optional" is this - your money, do as ya please. But if not wanting to spend the money is reason for not doing them, ya might rethink having an RV. I have seen the money rational used on a good quality water pressure regulator, a quality surge protector, supplemental brakes, TPMs, and plenty of other things. When you add them all up their relative cost to the price of RV is small, their value is high. YMMV - just my 2.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation

Folks--the topic is "To Tow or Not to Tow". Let's keep the thread on track, please.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry Sarah - The answer to tow or not to tow is.... If you don't - you can rent a car when you get there, stay put, use public transport, depend on the generosity of others, or drive your 31' Motorhome to get a loaf of bread.

I have rented a car on trips - but having a toad is the way to go - Especially if full time. Why lead a life of freedom and not be free to go where you want, when you want, without taking your house with you.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Really? How do you back up without stressing stuff?
Backing up is easy - you put your co-pilot in the toad's driver's seat with instructions on where to steer. We've done this a couple of times after misjudging the approach to a gas pump.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #20

If you don't really know how to drive your motor home you will need to have a toad!

Quote bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And a willingness to replace your tow bar when when your skills are defeated by the laws of mechanics. Video Please!
I've done it many times......I also often drive 10-12k miles per month pulling a toad. The TOS won't let me fully explain what I do w/ my coaches (plural) but I'm not bragging....I can back up and have many times w my toad attached.

I've never bent or broken anything. I've got over 700,000 miles driving coaches / busses.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I beg to differ. I've had two blowouts on my toad and with neither was I aware of them. I "felt" absolutely nothing! The first time, I didn't have a TPMS and was only aware that something was wrong when a car pulled up beside me honking and pointing. The second time, I did have TPMS and it alerted me instantly that I had a flat. On one other occasion, my TPMS alerted me that one of my toad's tires was losing air and gave me plenty of time to pull over and change it before destroying the tire. As for glancing in the camera every now and then, you must have a very special camera as in neither of my coaches have I been able to see my toad's tires unless I was turning. If you can feel a toad's flat tire then you either have a very small motorhome or a very large toad....or maybe both. There is no substitute for a TPMS....they should be standard equipment on all vehicles. Ron
Don't make it standard. I don't want to pay for it. Thanks.

I drive 10-12k miles a month often in my coach. I check my tires everyday on the coach and toad. I have had a couple of flats over the years. I always was able to tell. I even felt the vibrations from the yoke / rear diff bearings each time before they failed..... On the Freightliner chassis the Allaiance rear ends a de only good for 50-55k miles. ....no amount of maintenance has extended it...but the point is I felt the vibes when my service manager swore I couldn't.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a question only you can answer for yourself. What the rest of us can or cannot get along with or without has nothing to do with how you'll be with or without the same thing. I happen to think a toad is very handy. But we got along with just a motorcycle for years. When the weather doesn't cooperate it's hard to get around without a toad. But you may feel much differently about that and think it's not a big deal to ride bike or walk in the rain.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround

I've done it many times......I also often drive 10-12k miles per month pulling a toad. The TOS won't let me fully explain what I do w/ my coaches (plural) but I'm not bragging....I can back up and have many times w my toad attached.

I've never bent or broken anything. I've got over 700,000 miles driving coaches / busses.
I don't doubt you have and do. I have read all of your 60 some posts. When you have some time - and while it is by no means required - creating an introductory thread would make an interesting read. You obviously have lots of experience and things to share. A background thread with a picture of your rig would be nice. I know logging 100k miles in 3 years keeps ya busy - but I'm sure it would be a worthwhile read. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary276 View Post
I was looking through the threads looking for a discussion on whether to tow or not. I realize it will be a personal decision but just wanted to get opinions on the need for a vehicle vs the additional cost and restrictions associated with an additional vehicle behind the MH.

I will transition to full time summer 2014 and we have run the full spectrum discussing bikes to scooters to golf carts to a small car. And when we are out and about we see about as many MH's towing as not.
No restrictions that I have run into so far, no problems so far. Our Jeep goes every time the Coach goes........been times when the jeep never got unhooked or moved........but we had it if we might need it. I never leave home without it....
Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I don't doubt you have and do. I have read all of your 60 some posts. When you have some time - and while it is by no means required - creating an introductory thread would make an interesting read. You obviously have lots of experience and things to share. A background thread with a picture of your rig would be nice. I know logging 100k miles in 3 years keeps ya busy - but I'm sure it would be a worthwhile read. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome......I try and keep my comments limited to the coach my wife and I enjoy which is our 2011 Monaco Knight currently. My "real job" is a contractor. I also own a company that is in the "RVs industry" but at the risk of violating the TOS I don't directly mention it.

That's pretty much my intro
Old 12-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
After not having one for 2 years, we decided to outfit an existing vehicle. We are not full timers, thought we would just rent a car when we needed one, and thought we could rent a lot of cars for the $2-3K it takes to a vehicle up. We are pulling the trigger this year after finding that when we needed to rent a car, we either had to rent one a few hours from where we were going, or if local, for some reason the cost was higher than what you would see at an airport. Having said that, now that I have all the stuff I need to set it up, when we get a new vehicle all I will need is a new baseplate and wiring. The initial cost may be high, but now we no longer have to worry about where to rent a car, or the cost, it is behind us.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
Do not let the front toad wheels turn to the stops. If the toad wheels turn to the stops...max left or right front tire movement....then you risk damaging the suspension. However, if you back up without allowing the front wheels to bind all the way to the right or left there is no stress at all on the toad or towing equipment. It takes practice and good driving skills.
The 3 times in the past 2.5 years where I had to back up I simply ask DW to jump into the toad and hold the steering wheel and help guide it back.

One time I backed up and turned around heading the other direction.

No big deal.