Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
Grand Canyon South Rim has excellent shuttle service all along the rim, for the west drive of the South rim you must use the shuttle. If you basecamp in Williams you can take the Canyon Railroad up to the Rim for a few hours of touring, or you can easily drive the MH and park in the bus lot, walk a bit to the shuttle, and see plenty. Yellowstone would be best toured in a car, when the park is crowded it becomes difficult to pull into a turnout or parking lot with a large vehicle (34ft is large in this respect). We rented a van from Big Sky Rental (they rent everything, snow mobiles and clothing, lodging, cars and vans) Very nice, easy to deal with, brought the van to us and we just left it at the KOA when we were finished. They also have an excellent mechanic who helped us out of a jam with the motorhome at a reasonable price. Yosemite, depends on what type of sightseeing you enjoy. If you want to drive to the hiking trails and see the back country, best in a car. If your like us, willing to park in the bus lot, walk the path to the falls, the viewpoints, and the ranger station, you can do it comfortably in the MH. Along the way Petrified Forest National Park is easily MH accessible. Sedonna would be difficult in the MH as it gets touristy crowded with limited parking. So: Yes, you can have a wonderful vacation without the tow car, however there are a few places where you may wish to rent for local touring. Personally, I like to take the car along, even for short vacations, as it gives me the flexibility to tour, shop, dine. Since we travel at 55-60mph and enjoy seeing the scenery, the addition of the toad makes little difference. If you need to travel faster, and are comfortable doing so, then leaving the toad behind may give you more time at your destination spots. Either way, Happy Trails.

kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
I have never towed and have been in most of the states and much of Canada. I carry a motorcycle on a carrier and me and my wife ride two up. No problem parking anywhere with the motorcycle.works great for us.

texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #17
Another good reason to tow...some "away time".
When we're out my better half likes to go to the outlet type malls, or art shows, which hold no interest for me. She can take our Subaru and go have a good time without taking "Grumpy" along.
Flip side, I like to go to local gun shows, old family owned hardware stores, ect to "look around", which hold no interest for her.
With a toad we're each able to have a little time to ourselves, while the other is able to stay with the rig for some "quiet alone" time.
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #18
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If at the Grand Canyon you park your ride and choose to use the shuttl,e be prepared to be squeezed into a mass of humanity.

We went early before the trains got in and the shuttles were just fine, but once the trains got there I absolutely refused to get on another shuttle! They squeeze as many people in them as possible. I was trapped back in a corner in a seat and got quite claustrophobic. There were people standing in every square inch of space.

The shuttle also does not go to the southern most part of the park and there is a tower out there along with Indian ruins and a lot more to see. You need your car for that. Also there are some pretty good restaurants along the highway from Williams to the Park that you will also miss.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We did both Grand Canyon and Yellowstone (different years) and we are glad we towed. Sure you can get away without towing if you book tours but you won't get to see everything that made you want to travel there in the first place. We hit both places in the summer (Mid-July to Mid-August) and parking a large vehicle will be pretty much impossible in the sightseeing pull offs and some parking lots. You might be able to rent a car but you probably have to pick it up outside the park and return it there.

Since you are new and no one has mentioned it to stay in the parks you might have to make reservations up to a year in advance especially places such as Yellowstone and Yosemite. With the 100th Anniversary of the NPS I am sure there will be crowds. There is a lot of stuff to see to and from Michigan so you might want to plot the direct route and then look at the parks and other sights along the way rather than going for the big name parks. You have about at 2,800 - 3,500 mile trip (one way) and depending on your daily driving preferences you have about 10 travel days and 11 sightseeing days.

Bob and Cathy
2015 Itasca Sunova 33c towing a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote