Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
To tow or not to tow

We are new to the RV travel and are planning a 3 week trip between Michigan and Stanford University this summer. We plan to see several National Parks along the way (Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone & others) and are wondering if we don't pull a tow vehicle we will be sorry. We would rather not tow a vehicle, but aren't sure if we will get frustrated trying to see the parks from the motorhome. It's 34 ft. Thanks for any help you can give us. CSI

CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You will definitely be sorry if you don't take a toad! Too many places you won't be able to get into!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends on the park. I can't see touring the Grand Canyon with a motorhome. We did the south side a year ago and parking is a real problem even with a car. Aside from that there are places that the shuttles do not go to and you will not see without a car.

Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert you can see from your motorhome with no problem.

In the end we find our car quite handy.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you'll be sorry if you don't tow. Park and drive the toad.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hate to bring it up as we don't know how old your rv is, etc,
but there's always the possibility of a breakdown and needing a toad for transportation.

Even though there are usual three couples of us together in our coaches and usually only need one 6 seater to run around in once there, we still all tow our own toad.

BUT, if you chose, you could always get a rental car...
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Always tow.

That way you don't have to break camp whenever you go out.

Also, it's just much easier to get around in a car vs a MH.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
DW and I went to South Rim Grand Canyon, Vegas, Zion, Bryce, then North Rim Grand Canyon last year. We put over a thousand miles on the toad. Before we left DW tried to talk me out of taking a toad. When we got home she was glad we took it. You have much more freedom with it.
1996 Rexhall Aerbus.
1925 Ford Model T Touring
1926 Ford Model T Fodor
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
CSI, You will find it frustrating to find places to park, if at all, in these Parks with a 34 foot MH. We sometimes have difficulty finding a place to park with our Jeep. If you have not towed, having to deal with hooking and unhooking can be foreign; it will become route with practice. You will be able to enjoy the experience in these parks with the flexibility having your vehicle with you. Get your reservation in early the hook-up areas fill up quickly. There are plenty of private RV parks on the outskirts of these parks. It will require some driving time form the private parks before you enter.

Yellowstone is vast and you will need to travel around for many days to enjoy the expansiveness of the park. There are areas to camp where there are no hook-up that can be reserved. You should drive to Grand Tetons Nat park approx. an hours drive south.

If you camp in the grounds at Grand Canyon you will be able to take the shuttles to the various site in the park. As I recall they restrict autos in the park.

I think you will find it very difficult and impractical to travel around Yosemite especially in the summer time with the MH. To much traffic in a small road system. I would not recommend.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
2004 Meridian, 2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Airforce one
FMCA 403779
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
It will depend upon where you will be camping. We have managed many times to avail ourselves of a tour company for the sight seeing. Many campgrounds have a shuttle bus or are visited by private tour companies.

I expect campgrounds near the parks you mention will have an abundance of tours available. It should be easy enough to check with parks in the area you are planning on staying to check for the availability of tour companies.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TOW! TOW! TOW! I would not take such a trip without a toad. If your coach and toad are rigged correctly, towing in a non event. You won't be inconvenienced by having the toad back there and where you are traveling you will find many unmissable (is that a word) things you will want a car to visit. I have never made a trip without a toad, it's all part of the program to me.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #12

I would tow. There are some places where you could never take an RV. You'll miss some great sights, if you don't. Some even find it necessary to have a 4X4 so they can get everywhere.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
Towing allows you to control where you go without regard of will the MH be welcomed, or finding a place to park it. I recently became a "yes tow" convert. Much easier to tow than to deal with the rental car hassle. Good to have a car available if your MH breaks down.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
We don't have a Toad yet as that is our current project( working on a new Jeep set up). We have done trips without any other vehicle and like said you really need a Toad to get the most out of your trip and not really worry about where you find a CG. We have been a few places where we rented a car, and that was ok and worked out well. When we are within about 400 miles from our house, my wife has followed me in our Camry Hybrid. That is still cheaper than renting a car, and I would really rather drive my own car than a rental when we go exploring. So if you can't get a Toad by the time you take your trip there are some ways to work around it, but having a Toad would be the best option.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote