Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #1

To tow or not to tow that is the question

hi my wife and I are planning to head to warmer weather next winter but we cant decide if we want to tow a vehicle or rent a car a few days a week when were there. I have towed a car before and not fond of it. but think it might be better than renting. we will be down south for 3 months so its not like we will be driving the motor home around once we are there. just checking if anyone has any idea how expensive it would be to rent a car or if there are any other options I haven't thought of . you help would be greatly appreciated.
retired 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #2

It would probably be much cheaper to rent a car by the month rather than a few days a week.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

never thought of that thanks. I'm going to check into that. not very good at the haha. so slow to get info
Old 01-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #4

Well Sir,
You're more than likely gonna get the phone book in answers here. We're one of those with the train of thought that, moving that motorhome, without a toad, is just not safe with us. Toads can cost a thousand dollars or, they can cost $50K or more, depending what your taste is. But, it's not only when you arrive at your destination(s) or are at a temporary parking area, but it's also ON YOUR WAY THERE that's also a concern.

Motorhomes are not infallible. They can, and have been known to, break down ANYWHERE. And, they do it for any number of reasons. But, to be stuck, in the middle of NOWHERE and, maybe late in the evening or the weee hours of the morning, or blistering sun in the desert etc. WITHOUT any form of transportation to go get help or a part or parts for the motor home, (that if you're the type that does a lot of DIY type stuff like me), IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

We have been broken down, more than once and, without a doubt, having that toad has been a life saver. Depending on uber, or any form of a taxi, or trying to rent a car from any agency that's maybe miles or hours away from your location, AT NIGHT or any time they might be closed anyways, DEFINITELY is not something I would even THINK ABOUT!

To us, the cost of a toad is just not in question. First off, any vehicles we buy, ARE FLAT TOWABLE in the first place. So, we gotta have a vehicle anyways so, why not make it a flat towable one so that, when we travel, hook the thing up to the coach and take off!!! I don't fret the setting up of a tow bar, the wiring and all that, it's plain and simple to me. And, once it's done, it's done FOREVER!

It takes the wife and I about 45 seconds to a minute, to either hook up for towing or, unhook from towing, it's just that simple. Now, we've got OUR OWN vehicle to drive around, go get dinner, parts, explore, go to an urgent care if an emergency exists and more. It's your choice. We'll NEVER BE WITHOUT ONE.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:10 AM   #5

We have a small motorhome (23’) At that size we haven,t needed a towed. But I did reserve/prepay for a small car during our month in Colorado this summer. Cost was just under $600 for one month through Budget Rent-a-car.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #6

We have a 36' RV and we have rented cars spending $200 - 300 everytime. I bit the bullet and purchase the equipment to toad my F-150 and figured it would pay for itself. Granted we don't always take a toad but it just depends on activities or where we are going. My toad is NOT for that purpose only... it's an everyday driver and did not cost me 50k. My last trip was to Arizona to visit our grandkids for Christmas pulling the toad nearly 3000 miles at around 65 mph without issues. Best of luck!! Click image for larger version

Name:	20160523_121500.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	272143Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_065021.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	272144
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #7

I don’t leave home without my toad. If you check on this forum they sell toads all set up and ready to go.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my first motorhome in 1974. No toad. We drove it everywhere we went.I was never relaxed parking in town with all my goodies in it. In 1993 we bought our first toad. It was a 1993 Mazda 2300 pickup. I would never go back. We do so much more sight seeing with the toad. When we went out west, we put 5500 miles on the motorhome but we put 6400 miles on the toad.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
We have done it all....

Brought our bicycles: Rode them everywhere we went. Limited distance, sucks when its raining..

Brought our motorcycle: Fun.... but again, sucks in the rain

Rent a car by the week or month: Figure about $600 per month.

UBER: Cheap but sometimes a long wait depending on where you are.

Pulled our own vehicle (Toad) PREFERRED METHOD. I like the backup for emergency transportation while on the road and really nice to have our own wheels when we are staying in one place for a while.

We drive a CHEAP Chevy Spark. Tows great and easy on the wallet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spark.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	272287   Click image for larger version

Name:	tow ready.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	272288  

Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 AM   #10

Well looks like I’m goi g to be towing.thanks everyone for the input.already have a small car so I will probably just pick up a car dolly.I had one before but got rid of it 😬. Have to get another one.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CapnDean
Hey retired 58..... Get the toad, and skip the dolly. Tow Dollies are a total PITA. Don't believe me? Rent or borrow one, set a stop watch and pull up to a site with your car on the dolly. Click the stop watch and get out there and start unhooking. Unstrap the car, back it off the dolly, Park the car, unhook the dolly, roll the dolly out of the way, spot your RV etc.... My charming spouse will walk into the office when we pull into the RV park, when she has checked us in and walks out, I have the car unhooked and running and she will lead me to our site.... Just sayin
CapnDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
You're more than likely gonna get the phone book in answers here. We're one of those with the train of thought that, moving that motorhome, without a toad, is just not safe with us. Toads can cost a thousand dollars or, they can cost $50K or more, depending what your taste is. But, it's not only when you arrive at your destination(s) or are at a temporary parking area, but it's also ON YOUR WAY THERE that's also a concern.

Motorhomes are not infallible. They can, and have been known to, break down ANYWHERE. And, they do it for any number of reasons. But, to be stuck, in the middle of NOWHERE and, maybe late in the evening or the weee hours of the morning, or blistering sun in the desert etc. WITHOUT any form of transportation to go get help or a part or parts for the motor home, (that if you're the type that does a lot of DIY type stuff like me), IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

We have been broken down, more than once and, without a doubt, having that toad has been a life saver. Depending on uber, or any form of a taxi, or trying to rent a car from any agency that's maybe miles or hours away from your location, AT NIGHT or any time they might be closed anyways, DEFINITELY is not something I would even THINK ABOUT!

To us, the cost of a toad is just not in question. First off, any vehicles we buy, ARE FLAT TOWABLE in the first place. So, we gotta have a vehicle anyways so, why not make it a flat towable one so that, when we travel, hook the thing up to the coach and take off!!! I don't fret the setting up of a tow bar, the wiring and all that, it's plain and simple to me. And, once it's done, it's done FOREVER!

It takes the wife and I about 45 seconds to a minute, to either hook up for towing or, unhook from towing, it's just that simple. Now, we've got OUR OWN vehicle to drive around, go get dinner, parts, explore, go to an urgent care if an emergency exists and more. It's your choice. We'll NEVER BE WITHOUT ONE.
Scott
I agree. It's also a big deal for my wife as we travel with dogs. Not as easy to get a rental car or other transportation with the animals.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,

Scott
My thoughts exactly!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #14

It's free to try 'not' towing a toad. Go on a few trips without one. If you find it a pain not to have another vehicle, then at least you know what you have to do.

We tow a 2-door Wrangler. Been on a few weekend trips without it (just bikes), but it's so easy to setup and tow that we normally just take it now.

Steve

Tags
tow