Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

toad

does anyone tow a honda pilot? I have a 2012 I am towing and want to make sure I don't damage the tranmission. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett View Post
does anyone tow a honda pilot? I have a 2012 I am towing and want to make sure I don't damage the tranmission. thanks
Your owners manual will tell you this. Remco says 2011 is but doesn't address 2012.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

I looked at your owners manual. It doesn't mention towing behind a RV as does the CRV manual. I don't think 4 down towing is recommended for the Pilot. It does say if a 4 wheel drive need emergency towing it must be on a flatbed trailer.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

The owners Manuel says not to tow any pilot year. Also I called Honda, they said don't tow.. But I am towing a 2012 pilot, doing it the way I was told. Hoping I will have no problems. I guess I will be the test dummy.. Thanks for checking.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett View Post
The owners Manuel says not to tow any pilot year. Also I called Honda, they said don't tow.. But I am towing a 2012 pilot, doing it the way I was told. Hoping I will have no problems. I guess I will be the test dummy.. Thanks for checking.
My neighbour is a mechanic at a Honda dealership, he says do not tow a Pilot!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
TGR

I was told not to tow a 2012 pilot 4 down when I was car shopping last December. Ended up buying a 2012 ford Escape because Ford said it could be towed 4 down.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #7

If you have transmission problems Honda will not honor your warranty if they see evidence of toad use. I feel badly for you as you are finding out this information after you have set up your Honda for 4 down towing. Hopefully you haven't damaged your transmission badly enough to cause failure.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As others have advised, Honda officially says "no recreational towing" for all Pilot models since about 2006. You are on your own if you have transmission problems - no warranty will apply.

I have not seen any indication that the transmission has changed since the previous models that were towable, but Honda obviously had reason to change their policy. They felt they could not accept the risk of tow damage.

You may or may not encounter any problem because it is not a black & white situation. The damage is caused by internal heat build-up in the tranny and that has a number of variables. You might be fine for a year or two or three, then suddenly have a breakdown because it got way to hot on one tow.

My [admittedly conservative] advice would be to stop every 2-3 hours and run the engine for a few minutes. This circulates the fluid and cools/lubricates the internal parts. Avoid long runs at high speeds or on very hot days. In fact, avoid high speed towing altogether. Check the tranny fluid after every tow, looking for discoloration or a "toast" smell. Check it a few times before towing so that you know what "normal" looks and smells like. That's not a foolproof test that it is OK, but any change in color or smell is a bad sign.

Good luck.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad