Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
TSM

Toad

1) We are going to replace my wife's vehicle and had intended to purchase a Honda CRV but that plan hanged with the 2016 transmission change. We have been looking at several vehicles and would much prefer to flat tow. It appears that that the Ford Explorer and the Chevy Equinox are or would be good choices. To tow the Equinox apparently simply need to remove a fuse. We would certainly appreciate any suggestions and direction.

2) Please suggest a a breaking system

3) Advise regarding any wiring, wiring harness or other issues that must be considered.

I have engaged various auto dealerships regarding this issue and they are totally clueless.

Thanks for the assistance👍

TSM

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
DJJ

We flat tow a 2011 Equinox, M&G brake system, installed a fuse tap so just a flip of a rocker switch to disconnect the fuse. Roadmaster tow bar, Blue Ox base plate. Trouble free and very easy to hookup and unhook.

My wife preferred the Equinox over the Honda for comfort after test driving both. The one thing that we both have noticed is that the Equinox is harder to see behind you when backing. The back up camera display is in the rear view mirror and takes some getting use to. Also, if looking at the Equinox we have a 4 cylinder motor. The power is fine but some of the 4 cylinder motors are having oil consumption issues. GM extended the warranty time to cover that issue. I use a synthetic oil and with 60K miles I am down a quart about the time I am ready to change the oil.

Jeff

Old 02-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Toad

We tow a GMC Terrain (2012) and really like it. Comfortable, easy to drive, all wheel drive etc. we also have a switch to turn off the fuse rather than having to pull it. M&G braking system, Roadmaster bar and baseplate. We like how it disappears when not attached. We also have the M&G breakaway system. Rear view camera monitor is in dash with radio. Only downside is not great mileage 20-22.
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Just finished the decision process ourselves. Drove many and decided on the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Blue Ox baseplate, wiring harness and we went with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and surge brake.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Car dealers know squat about have their cars towed. Normally that not a phrase they care to engage in. You will need a lot of stuff to get your car ready to be towed. One of the simplest packages is the Ready Brute Elite. It includes a tow bar as well as a braking component that is pretty much foolproof with minimal intrusion to the toad. You also need a baseplate and wiring for the Elite to attach to.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We flat-tow a Grand Cherokee with Blue Ox baseplate and bars and a SMI Air Force One braking system. Some considerations:
- System is 'permanently' installed in the toad (can be removed / installed in another vehicle if desired)
- Is actuated by an air line connection to the coach (requires a tap into the coach air brake system)
- Connection to the coach involves 1) the standard 12V plug for operation of lights, signals, etc, and 2) a quick connect air line
- Uses 'proportional' braking

Glad to take questions - best wishes and safe travels ...
Old 02-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
How about just getting a 2014 Honda CRV AWD? Problem solved!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
How about just getting a 2014 Honda CRV AWD? Problem solved!
Have on '05 Honda Odyssey with just over 105,000 miles now and probably 40,000 towing. Just spent $2,700 on the timing belt, water pump, seals and spark plugs. Honda came up with another $3000 in "needed" repairs which I rejected since the and blue book is about $6,300 retail..
If the 2016 CR-V had been towable I might have considered trading, but it isn't so I fixed the old one and should be good for another 10 years. I'm 69 now so why put the money out plus they want about as much for a used one as brand new. The Ody gets as good a mileage as the 2014 CR-V's and is more comfortable too.
BTW, the AWD isn't necessary as the front wheel drive is also towable four down.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Have on '05 Honda Odyssey with just over 105,000 miles now and probably 40,000 towing. Just spent $2,700 on the timing belt, water pump, seals and spark plugs. Honda came up with another $3000 in "needed" repairs which I rejected since the and blue book is about $6,300 retail..
If the 2016 CR-V had been towable I might have considered trading, but it isn't so I fixed the old one and should be good for another 10 years. I'm 69 now so why put the money out plus they want about as much for a used one as brand new. The Ody gets as good a mileage as the 2014 CR-V's and is more comfortable too.
Quote:
BTW, the AWD isn't necessary as the front wheel drive is also towable four down

Yeah, we just chose to get the AWD just in case we wanted to take a desert road that I would not consider in a 2-wheel drive!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We just purchased a certified 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD which comes with a longer warranty than the original factory warranty. Blue ox base plate and Ready Brute Elite waiting to be installed.

We have on order a 2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q. It was assigned a Vin number last week and should be ready for pick up at Lichtsinn RV April 20.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #11

We retired recently and bought our Tiffin motorhome by which we'll do our traveling and sightseeing around the US, like many here. Our existing cars are Subaru Outback (not rated for flat towing) and a Mazda Miata (again, not rated for flat towing, tho the model has been towed by many with no problems). Then we started discussing why we should still have two cars. Decided to downsize to one, and since the Miata won't do the job of a daily driver, have purchased a new Ford C-Max Energi Hybrid. It isn't quite as big as the Outback, but does have a roomy back seat, plus cargo room behind, fold down seats, and is just as comfortable to drive as the Outback. The others are up for sale now, and the C-Max is going in this week to be fitted out for towing. The Energi model is a plug-in hybrid w/ 20 mile battery range, so we expect to get 80% of our local driving on battery power, and when traveling probably do the same, with the advantage of being able to charge it from RV or at a park pedestal. To tow it, all that is necessary, beyond the usual hookups, is to put it in neutral, per the owners manual, and start it every 6 hours.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We really like our Subaru Forester. It is 4 wheel drive and handles easily. Of course it is a manual transmission, in order to use it as a 4 down tow. Unfortunately none of the Suby automatics are towable 4 down. For braking we are equipped with an "Air Force One" air over hydraulics system. It is proportional and very smooth. Cost is slightly high but it is pretty much trouble free, removable for use on future RV's and is long lived according to all the posts that I have read. Just in case you have a gas RV, SMI also makes a unit called the "Stay-N-Play Duo system for hydraulic brake systems.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!

BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad