Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello,

We are now in the toad moad We take the coach in next Thursday to Harberson, RV in Clearwater, FL to have them install everything to flat tow an 08 Elantra, 5 speed.

Does anyone else have an 08 or 07 Fiesta LX towing behind it? Since this is our first ever toad, I'm wondering what to expect as far as lag or difference in performance.

Ours is the V10 Ford, does great without towing, wondering what to expect when we start towing. We did pay the toad off so at least the extra weight of a bank note won't be there.

Thanks for any replies.

JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toad

Hello,

We are now in the toad moad We take the coach in next Thursday to Harberson, RV in Clearwater, FL to have them install everything to flat tow an 08 Elantra, 5 speed.

Does anyone else have an 08 or 07 Fiesta LX towing behind it? Since this is our first ever toad, I'm wondering what to expect as far as lag or difference in performance.

Ours is the V10 Ford, does great without towing, wondering what to expect when we start towing. We did pay the toad off so at least the extra weight of a bank note won't be there.

Thanks for any replies.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

You will see very little difference when towing your toad. Seldom will you ever even know it is back there. We tow either a Honda CRV or a Ford ranger pkup with a Ford V10 MH. Most will say you only lose 1\2 mile per gallon when towing. The lighter the toad the better. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #4

I have towed for many years. I wouldn't go with out the towed. I notice little to no difference in performance, mileage, or braking. The big common denominator is being sure there is room for turns, parking, and gasoline stations with pumps that are not perpendicular to the building. When you park overnight be sure you are not going to be blocked in, use a pull through with no obstructions to hinder your exit. Keep in mind you normally cannot back the towed up, while hooked up.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appreciate the replies, we are looking forward to taking a car along for the ride. Wife is just leary about it, I think I'll be fine.

Now I need to talk her into a Golf Cart at some point
Old 11-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well we went and picked up the coach and car today all hooked up. Was a great ride from Clearwater to Tampa. Was really surprised how easy it was and didn't feel much tug or pull at all.

Brake Buddy worked great also and doesn't look like it's too difficult to remember the on and off process.

So we're now official TOADs! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #7

Glad everything worked out OK. We purchased our present coach from them. Easiest automotive purchase we have ever made. It was almost scary easy.
Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #8

Jomarfl.....Sounds like you are all set. My thinking is in no time flat your wife will be saying that going the toad route was the best thing you ever did. Enjoy.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #9

JOMARFL,

One thing that you MUST be aware of and keep in mind is what your toad is doing while you are driving slowly and turning sharply.

Highway driving and turns are not a problem, but you must remember that your toad does NOT follow your RV... It follows the REAR of your RV.

Picture driving your RV with the toad behind and you are stopped at an intersection...

When the light turns green, you want to make a RIGHT turn. The light changes and you crank the wheel around and start your turn. Because of the overhang from your rear axle to the front wheels of the toad, your toad must make a HARD LEFT turn. As your straighten the RV out of the turn, your toad must suddenly change direction and make a hard RIGHT turn in order to follow the RV.

That is usually not a problem for toad IF you make the turns slowly and maintain enough forward roll to give the toad front wheels time to caster (think grocery cart) from side to side to follow the REAR of your RV.

Failure to think about the gyrations the toad is going through can cause you to drag the toad sideways or change directions with the wheels pointing in the wrong direction.

This can cause SEVERE premature tire wear.

I'd suggest that if you are the first one at a light, you stop as far back from the crosswalk as you safely can.

Good luck... I KNOW that you will enjoy flat towing. It's easy or we couldn't all do it.

Tim
Old 11-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We've not seen the need for Healeyman's precautions when towing a vehicle, but we've only been doing it for about 90k miles.

The toad doesn't actually make any HARD turns - in my experience it mostly tracks well and makes gentle turns. It does continue more or less straight for a few feet as the coach begins its turn and the back end swings out a bit (depends on the length of the rear overhang on the coach), but it quickly begins to follow. I doubt if you will ever be aware that its path does not quite follow that of the coach.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #11

Roamer,

My comments were aimed at the first time or new tower, not ye with 90K miles of experience.

The only reason that I posted what I did was that I have a friend who, when he retired, upgraded from a 23' Phoenix Cruiser with no toad to a 32'Winne pulling a Jeep Cherokee.
The Winnie has about 15' of overhang.

On his first trip in the Winnie from TX to WA to SoCal and back (9,000 miles) totally shreaded a fairly new pair of tires on the front of the Jeep.

One day, he mistakenly left the sound up on his back-up camera. During several turns he heard a loud "screeching" sound.

Shortly, by watching while his wife drove the Winnie, he figured out he was making sharp turns with little forward roll and the long overhang was literally pulling the front of the Cherokee sideways across the pavement.

He was driving the RV as if it was the short wheelbased Jeep.

He changed his driving and turning habits and has over 20,000 towed miles on the second set of tires and they still look pretty good.

We don't all know everything.

Tim
Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fellow Toaders,

Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it. Thursday we hook up again and head out to SanLan RV Park in Lakeland for the weekend.

I'll keep your points in mind and may also turn up the volume on the camera to see if I hear any screeching.

Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 AM   #13

Hey Healeyman,

Might you be my Pal from Texas?
Your avatar is too small for me to be sure.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #14

Hey Bobby,

Yep... 'Tis I.

I signed-off both of my post with "Tim".

How many Tims do you know that have a green Healey ?

Sorry about the tiny avatar, maybe you need new glasses or a 21" screen (tee-hee).

How you guys doin'? We spent last Thurs and the weekend at a woody park near Tyler, TX.

Home now, gettin' ready for TXgiving.

Keep the shiny side up.

Tim