Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Toad A/C help needed

I've noticed there are a lot of experienced A/C guys on this forum and hope they can throw some ideas my way.
'99 Grand Vitara, losing 134-A and finally traced to a leaking condensor damaged by the fan..........both replaced in Jan. Not much need for A/C then.
Summer arrives and A/C is warm on hot days..... Outside temp 95F, vent temp 84F at idle, 78F at highway speeds (recycle mode). Pouring cold water on the condensor has no affect. Both high and low pressures are correct. Adding/increasing 134A during testing has no affect.
Output temp on the low pressure line is cool at best (65F) under these conditions so I do not suspect any heater control valve leakage.
Shop condemns the compressor and/or expansion valve but cannot explain the normal pressure readings.
I insisted the unit be evacuated thinking maybe over it's lifetime so much 134A+oil+dye has been installed that 134A may be lacking and oil is keeping pressure normal.
Now I'm grasping straws and hope an experienced A/C guy has some suggestions.
So please help. Soon the snow will fall here and I'll forget untill next summer at which time my Wife will remind me in her own (less then) subtle way.
TIA
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #2

if you are sure unit is charge properly and it sounds like you have done your home work ck to see if heater side is shutting off don't know if has valve or is a blend air system on that particular rig. have found more then one that the a/c is ok but the heater is over running it pinch off/block flow thru heater hoses if this doesn't change things then look into exp valve stuck partially open hard to diagnose sometimes. you have to use process of elimination before spending money for no reason.
gook luck re post how things go.
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks pwf16129: I considered the heat valve but since the refridgerent temp on the low side is cool at best on hot days thought it must be A/C related. I thought a partially plugged expansion valve would result in high pressures. Likewise a partially plugged or poor performing compressor would result in low pressures.
This seems to have started after the condensor and fan were replaced, prompting me to pour cold water on it with little to no improvement.
I'll continue to dig.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad