Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
toad-able mini van?

Is there a mini van that is towable w/ 4 wheels down, with after-market modifications if necessary?

Thanks, J&L

John and Lori
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDQS
JohnLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
We towed a 1999 Chrysler Town & Country. Had a Remco transmission pump, BlueOx baseplate, towbar & acc's. My husband did the install of all of that. I think he would tell you it was a "__itch" to install, but it was the first time he ever attempted something like that. He did a good job though.

Now we have a 4 door jeep, no mods needed. Although I sometimes miss features of the mini-van, the jeep is MUCH easier to hookup and take off with. You must always be checking that the pump is running and even with it, it is good to run the car a bit after a long day of towing. I have heard others tell tales of bad experiences with the Remco pump failing (and if it does and you don't know, it is expensive), but we never had any problems in 1 1/2 years of towing that setup.

2007 DSDP 4037, fulltiming since January 2007
Our website | Our location
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
My Son-in-law tows a Ford Windstar. He and I installed a Remco axle disconnect on it. It works well and is pretty easy to engange and disengage.
USN, Retired
2002 Tradewinds LTC Founders Ed
2004 Tundra Double Cab toad, 2007 Honda Goldwing
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most minivans are front wheel drive and need a transmission lube pump. The Chrysler/Dodge minivans are towable that way.

You might consider a cross-over SUV instead of a minvan. There are some that are similar in size and capacity, e.g. the GMC Acadia and the Saturn Outlook. These are towable without mods.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
How about the new Ford Flex, 4 flat towable with no mods. They are currently being discounted pretty heavily. It is the modern day minivan, seats 7/8, has 5 doors and it's cool. Well at least we think so, we just got one to tow behind the MH.

Just turn key to 1st accessory position, put in neutral and that's it.
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
We towed our 2008 Town and Country minivan with a Remco pump for a year and just gave up on it. When it's hot out, the Remco did not seem able to keep up and we would get a chirping on the dash pump monitor indicating loss of pump pressure. We drive long days and I was afraid the pump was not working well enough to cool the fluid and would eventually burn the trans.

So I just bought a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. It was a brand new leftover and was HEAVILY discounted. Pulled it this past week form NJ to Williamsburg VA in the heat with NO PROBLEMS!

IMHO, ditch the minivan idea and get a Grand Cherokee or Liberty that can be towed with no pump.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the Remco pump you will get a loud buzzing in the MH if the pump fails. When I start out on a cold morning and the car not driven it takes about 30 seconds for the fluid to get flowing good. Once we get going there are no problems. We have towed our PT for 7 years with no problem. I wish our T&C weighed a little less because that would be my first choice to tow.
1995 Roadtrek 19 Versatile
Dodge 318
1975 GMC Eleganza II
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Location: Mercer, PA -- 1000 feet from the O.D. Anderson Interchange (I-79 & I-80)
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
The first generation Dodge / Plymouth minivans had an optional 5-speed transmission. I owned two 1993 Plymouths that I towed behind our MH. No modification to the transmission, just added the Demco towbar, Blue Ox baseplate and US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
2009 Palomino Stampede S195 SD (Hybrid TT)
2010 Ford E-350 Super Duty XLT Extended
GOOGLE "GEORGE MIKLAS" for more information of about our worldwide adventures
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Most mini-vans are front wheel drive. Another easy to tow a front wheel drive vehicle is on a tow dolly. Used dollies are reasonably priced, but the drawback is you have to find someplace to store it both at home and when you get to the campground.

An alternate to a mini-van might be an SUV. Many SUVs are available that are towable without modification and that also have 3-row seating if you need to haul passengers. The seats can be folded or removed if it's cargo space you need. Most SUVs are available with front wheel drive if you don't want the weight and expense of all-wheel or 4-wheel drive. The only thing missing in the SUV is the sliding side doors.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Is your son in law still towing a ford windstar?
I have a 94 Southwind 454, and am considering pulling our windstar with a tow dolly.
I am concerned about the minivan weight though.Do you have any thoughts?

TITrim is offline   Reply With Quote