Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Toad and motorcycle

We are new to RVing, purchased a 99 London Aire pusher. Would like to take a car and motorcycle with. Have looked at Racecity dolly's and am considering GMC Canyon 4x4, Chev Colorado 4x4, or Dodge Dakota 4x4 for flat towing with the Harley in the back. Any idea's or expertise in this area would be appreciated. Thanks BD
dockinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #2

We hauled our Harley in a 2008 Ford Ranger 4x4 with the 7 ft box.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We towed a Colorado 4x4 crew for about 40K without any problens. Twice a year it carried a 900+ lb golf cart 1500 miles in its bed.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does your DP have a tag axle?

Hard to tell from the pic, but thats a 1000lb hyd motorcycle lift, in the stowed position. Towed attaches to the back of that, after bike is raised .

Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockinn View Post
We are new to RVing, purchased a 99 London Aire pusher. Would like to take a car and motorcycle with. Have looked at Racecity dolly's and am considering GMC Canyon 4x4, Chev Colorado 4x4, or Dodge Dakota 4x4 for flat towing with the Harley in the back. Any idea's or expertise in this area would be appreciated. Thanks BD
dockinn,

There's been a number of posts on this requests on this subject. And, there's a few ways to do it. You can find a "double duty" dolly in which, a full sized motorcycle will fit crossways in the front section and, a toad in its normal position, over the axle or, just a hair behind it. But, with this method, you have to find room for that dolly, each and every time you park in camp spot/RV park. To some, they've coped with it, it would not work for me, to cumbersome. Then there's the trailer method. Yep, that works too. But, you still have to find a place for it, again, each and every time you find a place to camp.

The second method is, to "Carry the bike" on a lift, on the back of your coach. We used a "Hydralift" on the back of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 C-7 CAT. There's one pictured in a post above mine, in the folded up position. The Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. It's the most stable, the least amount of moving parts, very, very dependable, and as stated, will handle at least 1000 lbs. without issues. They're very proud of it too. Those lifts hover around $4,500 BEFORE shipping and taxes.

That was a great way for us to haul our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. I had absolutely ZERO issues when hauling it. I was told the back end of the coach would fall off, the front end would pull wheelies, the handling would be drastically effected and much more. Well, NONE of that happened. It handled flawlessly. No wandering, no porpoising, no ill effects what so ever. Yep, I was overweight back there, but, I calculated that into the facts before I installed it. The weight of the lift and the bike, removed exactly "100" lbs. off the front end, big wow!

Anyway, that was then, and this is now. We've since changed methods of hauling the Wing. We both like trucks so, we sold the CRV that we were dragging along with us, sold the Hydralift and, purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. And, along with that, we purchased a used, but in flawless condition, "Rampage" lift/carrier for the back of that truck. That system, works outstandingly well. It has "0" problems loading that 900 lb. Wing into the back of that truck. Start to finish, it takes me about, 8 minutes to load and lock down the bike, and two bicycles plus.

As far as dragging a full sized truck, that truck is exactly 5300 lbs. The coach handles it just fine with the exception of the biggest, steep grades. On those, it hunkers down to about 35 mph. Oh well, we get there when we get there. I've got that Rampage system setup so that when it's not in use, hauling the bike, it's out of the truck in about 1.5- 2 minutes and on a cart, wisked away to a storage area for it. Easy-peasy.

Well, you've got some choices out there, it's a matter of preference and, money too. The Rampage lift normally sells brand new for close to $3,000.00. I picked one up, about 6 hours from us, that was used twice, for $1,500. It's perfect. The install was cake, way easier than the Hydralift and I installed that too. Good luck.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Overbilt electric motorcycle lift on my 2008 diesel bounder and pull my Tahoe behind that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1621462586.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	767.0 KB
ID:	51468
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

We've have a Hydralift on the back of the coach since `09 carrying a Road King, and tow a Dakota 4X4 behind that. Easy on & off. I'm pleased with this setup.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbit View Post
We've have a Hydralift on the back of the coach since `09 carrying a Road King, and tow a Dakota 4X4 behind that. Easy on & off. I'm pleased with this setup.
Rockbit,
Yep, the Hydralift, in my opinion, is the best on the market. I'd have kept ours on there and hauled our Wing that way forever but, I knew I was overloaded and, while absolutely no damage was ever incurred, and no ill handling effects were ever felt, I kind-a knew I was on borrowed time with that much "overweight" back there. I set that lift up so it could be off the coach, in right under 8 minutes. That way, when any type of rear coach service was needed, that lift was off in a matter of minutes.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad