Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, you can disconnect the battery but on many newer vehicles then you have to re-set the radio, clock, and other settings. You lose all your pre-sets on the radio, time of day, etc. Also, on some vehicles you are still supposed to circulate the transmission fluid every 6 hours (or so). It would be a pain to have to connect and disconnect. Just more convenient to connect and forget about it.

Dennis & Trish (and Sparky Doodle)
2013 Meridian 42E
2011 Ford Explorer
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Wait. You are saying you leave the ignition on in your toad while you are towing it? What kind of car are you towing. I have 4 cars. All my cars, when I turn the ignition to the first click, unlock the steering wheel and no power to the ignition system. The odometer comes on, but when I shut the door even that goes off. It can't be any good for your toad to leave on the ignition system. Something doesn't sound right.
I tow my jeep or VW and never have a dead battery when I arrive.
If that's a problem. I agree with the poster above. I'd unhook my battery before I'd tie my MH and car batteries together. That will keep your ignition system off.

Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the Toad-Charge with my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and love it. As stated earlier, it not only charges the toad battery with just what it needs, it also protects the coach batteries with the diodes. Well worth the money in my book and I could probably get along well without it since the Jeep doesn't have the key in the ignition and my SMI Air-Force One braking system doesn't use any electrical power to activate the power brakes on the Jeep.
2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD (Full-Timer)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Air-Force One toad brake
Ralph A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ralph.

I tow my liberty for 5 months last summer. Key in the ignition but not in the on position. I have an RVI Brake system. I've driven 6 hours. Spend s night at a truck stop and drive another 4 hours. And my car starts right up.
I'm not understanding what is draining the battery in these cars. Any ideas
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
The Brake Buddy plugs into the toad cig lighter for power. But as I said it hardly ever activates except in a hard braking situation. I don't think this is running the battery down. Because the Brake Buddy needs the toad battery, I can not disconnect the neg. on the toad battery. Also, the key is on the first click, the second click position is the normal run position after it is started. My assumption is the electronics are powered up in this position, even though the dash is dark. I know you can turn on the radio and built in GPS without the key in the second "on" or run postion but I always make sure the headlights are off and the radio is off. I still like the "Toad-Charge" solution which is designed for this situation. I don't want to have to worry about the toad battery running down or if my wiring will fail and damage something else. I want a comfort level and confidence the Toad-Charge device would give me. Worth the price for me. Boy there is a lot of good opinions here. I appreciate everyone's input on this. I have learned a lot just from participating in this thread.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
Some of braking systems require more power. Especially if they use
an on board compressor to activate brakes.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
A toad charge is the answer!!!
2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
I used to have this problem and an RV electrical shop was able to help me out by installing this on my toads battery. Electric Brake Battery Charger Kit- 20007 | Electric Brake Wiring & Battery | Hoppy | TrailerPartsDepot.com= He did not like the straight hot wire from the MH to the toad as it did not allow for over charging etc; It worked well and I have towed for several thousands of miles without another dead battery.

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, charging, toad